Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              8       9       end

Archive 2017 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

Sony released the a9, and spec-wise it is everything that we've wanted from Nikon for a mirrorless camera. Full frame sensor, 24MP (the best all-around resolution, let's face it), fast, on-sensor phase detection, dual card slots (finally), big beautiful EVF, bigger battery, big ISO capability, etc. Everything but the price is lovely, on paper.

This is the thing people have been asking for for years. It would be a game changer for Nikon, but Nikon didn't make it--Sony did.

Well anyway, rant over. I'm curious to see real world info on the a9 in practice. I'm not planning on jumping ship to Sony or anything ridiculous, but it is exciting to see some innovation. Hopefully this pokes Cannikon enough to get them working on making cool new stuff as well.

Apr 19, 2017 at 01:39 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

Just watched Adorama's talk on youtube about the new A9. Looks pretty awesome! Wouldn't mind having that lens as well.

Apr 19, 2017 at 02:15 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

Should be interesting to see how it stands up in the hands of dedicated sports shooters in the field.

-Continuous AF
-EVF refresh
-Buffer clearing capability
-Serious weather sealing
-Will Sony develop "newer" serious fast telephoto lenses?

Apr 19, 2017 at 03:36 PM
Vcook
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

Sure is appealing on paper.

Apr 19, 2017 at 03:45 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

I don't need all the A9 specs, but a lot of Nikon shooters do and would love to have one of these.

Nikon's not gotten any of my $$ in the last couple of years because of Sony and I'm just a landscape shooter.

Just make me an A7RII equivalent Nikon and I'd be quite happy. If Nikon doesn't answer in the next year I'd say things are a bit bleak for Nikon in the long term - a bit harsh, but I'd say reasonable.

Wake up Nikon, wake up!

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:05 PM
Next39
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

BSPhotog wrote:
It would be a game changer for Nikon, but Nikon didn't make it--Sony did.

I completely agree with every point you made. I would love to see Nikon make a version of this camera.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:08 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

Appears to be a real WOW-ZER camera.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:23 PM
pieceofdebri

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

Wish these Sony cameras came with a Nikon mount.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:24 PM
vitalishe
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

It would be great to see that sensor and AF technology in D500 body!

Meanwhile, the real A9 probably is exciting as a prototype camera but not as perfect in real life as one may imagine.
- Just try estimating how much it would cost you to replace your lens collection with Sony equivalent.
- We see a cool list of things A9 promises to do and our imagination goes wild.
- The reality of quirks, bugs and features could be very different. Just remember the issue of A7 series overheating while recording 4K. What are the chances something similar happens with this performance machine with 20fps and 3+MP EVF at 100fps in the body that is not much bigger than A7?
- Does it have weather sealing? How does that effect heat dissipation?

Not trying to be a hater. Just trying to keep the imagination in check.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:39 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

vitalishe wrote:
It would be great to see that sensor and AF technology in D500 body!

Meanwhile, the real A9 probably is exciting as a prototype camera but not as perfect in real life as one may imagine.
- Just try estimating how much it would cost you to replace your lens collection with Sony equivalent.
- We see a cool list of things A9 promises to do and our imagination goes wild.
- The reality of quirks, bugs and features could be very different. Just remember the issue of A7 series overheating while recording 4K. What are the chances something similar happens
...Show more

Good advice, but hopefully they've learned their lesson and will have more of the bugs worked out. The A7RII was much improved over the A7R and I have to assume (perhaps wrongly) that this taught Sony a lot about these bodies and all the electronics that have been stuffed in them.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:50 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

jhinkey wrote:
I don't need all the A9 specs, but a lot of Nikon shooters do and would love to have one of these.

Nikon's not gotten any of my $$ in the last couple of years because of Sony and I'm just a landscape shooter.

Just make me an A7RII equivalent Nikon and I'd be quite happy. If Nikon doesn't answer in the next year I'd say things are a bit bleak for Nikon in the long term - a bit harsh, but I'd say reasonable.

Wake up Nikon, wake up!

I think you might be underestimating the amount of people who place high value on lens selection, OVFs, battery life, etc. So long as I have a choice, I won't be trading my DSLR for a MILC until EVFs match OVFs (this is what we're furthest from), they get DSLR ergonomics, DSLR battery life, and pro-DSLR AF performance. I have a feeling some of those things are quite a ways away but I'd be very happy to be wrong.

That being said I would still love to see Nikon/Canon put out some competitive large-sensor mirrorless products because the more choice there is the better for everyone, whether it's their backup camera or their primary one. Even something like the RX-1R II would be cool if they could keep the price reasonable.

Mirrorless production has been dead flat since 2013. DSLR production over the same period has reduced, but is still about 3 times higher than mirrorless.

Most interesting to me is the 24MP Stacked sensor. The benefits of a stacked design primarily have to do with speed, and implementing an electronic shutter with minimal impact on image quality. Might work nicely in a D8XX body

Apr 19, 2017 at 05:06 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

Why do they use SD cards (and only one UHS II) if the framing rate is so high? The buffer will be nothing like the D5 or even the D500. The battery life does not seem good either (480 frames and then 950 with a grip)

EBH

Apr 19, 2017 at 05:51 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

Well,
It's kind of funny but there's nothing there that interests me.

It took ten years for me to acquire the lenses I now own and use. That was my key, not the body. Don't get me wrong, I like buying gear and might buy the D810 replacement when it arrives, but a body is not really what makes a difference for me anymore...

I'm also making a wild guess and thinking 90% of those who have been moaning for Nikon mirrorless here will never buy this anyway. Their race is run. It will be more sold to those who are fairly new to photography and haven't put a system together. Unless they stick with the iPhone.

Apr 19, 2017 at 06:01 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

mirrorless is overrated. All this lust to save a few ounces

Apr 19, 2017 at 06:08 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

ckcarr wrote:
Well,
It's kind of funny but there's nothing there that interests me.

It took ten years for me to acquire the lenses I now own and use. That was my key, not the body. Don't get me wrong, I like buying gear and might buy the D810 replacement when it arrives, but a body is not really what makes a difference for me anymore...

I'm also making a wild guess and thinking 90% of those who have been moaning for Nikon mirrorless here will never buy this anyway. Their race is run. It will be more sold to those who are fairly new
...Show more

You would be amazed if the potential photographers out there in some of the countries like China and India and Brazil that are finally growing a middle class. That is where the future sales lie, not in North America where the market is saturated and stagnant.

Apr 19, 2017 at 06:51 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

mysh wrote:

Same thing was said by the film diehards when digital steamed over. We'll see in a few years I guess.

Apr 19, 2017 at 06:52 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

mysh wrote:

That is the most uninformed statement I've seen on FM in a long time . . .

Apr 19, 2017 at 06:59 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

I should clarify. I am not anti mirrorless and I am not pro mirror. I really don't care one way or another. I care about a great camera for my needs.
I have found the drum beats for mirrorless to be odd up until now. Mirrorless has a few pros and had some cool features but the features never seemed to match peoples hopes for them. For years it seems like the desire for mirrorless was more about its potential then its reality.

Is some of the tech in mirrorless going to be the future of cameras, most likely yes but it is finally just getting to an equal level.

Maybe nikon realized that the mirrorless tech was still not on the level of the DSLR so they held off making the switch. Many photographers found this to be true when they made the switch prematurely.
Who knows what Nikon is working on and maybe the tech has finally come along to make it worth Nikons and canons efforts to start switching.

I am confident Nikon and Canon will not let a superior tech pass them by. Will there be a short time where Sony might be King, sure but it will be short lived.

All I ask is to be given the best camera possible for my needs. So far I feel Nikon has done this with the D810.

Apr 19, 2017 at 06:59 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

jhinkey wrote:
That is the most uninformed statement I've seen on FM in a long time . . .

Why did you switch? I have seen your work over the last couple years from your mirrorless. Did you switch for any reason besides size?

You have gained nothing from mirrorless except maybe a few ounces saved. I know your work.

Almost everyone I see who talks of switching it ultimately comes down to size.

Apr 19, 2017 at 07:01 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The mirrorless camera Nikon should have built, but won't.

There is no way I'll pay $4,500 for a digital camera. For that kind of money I'd rather have a Chamonix 8x10 camera, or a 1927 Leica. The resale on digital cameras is horrible! However, I would be interested in an MLC from Nikon for use as a travel camera. I'd like to see a small DX camera styled as one of their S rangefinders, and hopefully they revive the S-mount lenses too! I would buy one of those if the price was reasonable.

Kent in SD

Apr 19, 2017 at 07:25 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.