Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2017 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

rji2goleez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

AGeoJO wrote:
That's what I was hoping for. Well, maybe not 70Mpx but around 60Mpx is just perfect for me. I would be thrilled if Sony does introduce that camera. It just shows that people''s needs/wishes vary widely.

Same here. In fact, I did sell my A7r2 . . . for another A7r2 with lower mileage. Mine had 32K and I bought one with a shutter count of 2 (two). It was insurance for waiting for an A9r and the used prices. Although the A9 looks awfully tempting. Perhaps if I sell my A7r2 AND my A6500 . . . . hmmm . . .

Apr 28, 2017 at 07:32 PM
PhilthePhrame
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

I just bought the A7rII, getting a great deal on their old camera trade-in deal ($480.00 for an old Pentax P30 film body!) and the $300.00 sale reduction, and the sale of an A7s.

I was pretty sure a new FF was going to be released. In a way, I'm relieved it as the A9 - At $6,000.00 in Canada, it would be a ridiculous purchase for this amateur. If the new FF had been a new A7iii with a better sensor, I'd have experienced some buyer's remorse, as that would be more within my real needs.

So, I'll miss a few BIF shots with the A7rii, but there is still a lot of camera there for me to play with. And, maybe the A9 will encourage Sony to offer some longer telephoto primes for sports and wildlife photographers - that is where my next big purchase would likely go.

Apr 28, 2017 at 09:08 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

This is my bet on how the next cameras go:

Sony has just registered two new cameras for release--one is the A9; what is the other? It could just be a point and shoot.

BUT Sony has also been widely reported to be ready to release a 16-35 f/2.8 GM lens. Sony likes to release major cameras with important lenses when the camera is a suitable platform for the lens. This is what they just did with the A9 and the 100-400 GM.

So what does a $2500, stellar quality, 16-35 F/2.8 GM lens pair with? Not a point and shoot. I don't see Sony announcing that lens by itself.

What does it pair with? My own guess is an A8 with about 32-36 mpx, the body/control and autofocus features of the A9, but not the full e-shutter or the very high frame rate and a different sensor, robustly built with two card slots. $3698. I think the reason they haven't pushed the A9 for wedding photographers, for which it is very well suited, is because the A8 is going to be even better suited for wedding photogs and for general, versatile, photography use.

The A8 would be to the A9 about what the Canon 5dIV is to to the 1dx2. And the A8 would be the foundation for a new series of A8r, A8s, A8II, etc.

The A9 doesn't really fit the role of an all-around camera. Too expensive, for one thing. Not quite enough resolution, for another--it is significantly below the 30.4 mpx of the Canon 5dIV or the 36.3 of the Nikon 810..

Sony might well then continue to sell the a7rii until (maybe even after?) there is an A8r. An A8 as described above at 36 mpx would open up the 60-70 mpx territory for an a8r.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:34 PM
DCPhotoAL

p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

With a 4 minute write buffer and only one slot of the 2 memory card slots offering high speed (even that is slow in comparison to nikon and sony high-speed slots) those frames per second mean little. It also doesn't track as well as canon's 1dx mkii or have the lenses required or the weather sealing to be a true sports camera. It was a nice try and has some advancements but falls short to be what Sony do desperately wants to be.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:48 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

rji2goleez wrote:
Same here. In fact, I did sell my A7r2 . . . for another A7r2 with lower mileage. Mine had 32K and I bought one with a shutter count of 2 (two). It was insurance for waiting for an A9r and the used prices. Although the A9 looks awfully tempting. Perhaps if I sell my A7r2 AND my A6500 . . . . hmmm . . .

Bob, it doesn't have a shutter

* tongue-in-cheek*

Edited on Apr 29, 2017 at 03:24 AM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:35 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

DCPhotoAL wrote:
With a 4 minute write buffer and only one slot of the 2 memory card slots offering high speed (even that is slow in comparison to nikon and sony high-speed slots) those frames per second mean little. It also doesn't track as well as canon's 1dx mkii or have the lenses required or the weather sealing to be a true sports camera. It was a nice try and has some advancements but falls short to be what Sony do desperately wants to be.

Other videos show a buffer dump of around 35-36 seconds. Could be that some "reviewers" put the slower card in the UhS-II slot. Could be that raw wasn't set to write to the he faster card. But 35-36 seconds is a big difference from 'minutes. Also the way that I personally shoot is for 2-3 second bursts at a time, so 20-30 shots using s 10 fps camera. I couldn't see a scenario where I'd want to do a 200 shot single burst, (20 fps for 10 seconds). And if I did, I wouldn't see myself wanting to do another one right after. So a 20-30 shot burst, followed by a few seconds idle and then another 20-30 burst probably wouldn't stress the buffer as heavily. Sure if they had used XQD or if they could've had a full dump on 2-3 seconds that would've been amazing, but I think people are just taking what one person said about a minute or 3 long wait and running with it.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:44 PM
DCPhotoAL

p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

_

Shows a 4 minute buffer write time with a full buffer. Canon 1dx mk ii is 10 to seconds in camparison..

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:04 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

Of course buffer capacity and clear times will depend on whether they are shooting RAW and JPEG, whether they are mirroring to both cards for redundancy, the speed of the cards and what slots they are in as well as how long and frequent your bursts are.

A huge buffer will naturally be much harder to fill but take longer to clear. I suspect Sony has thouroughly tested the sports shooter's use case and I'm sure the buffer size and clear time has been designed to not be an issue.

In fact, it's very possible they decided a much larger buffer with a slower clear time was better for performance/cost vs a small buffer with fast clear time or even a large buffer with fast expensive rare cards. The current design trade-off makes it perform extremely well with ubiquitous cheap cards which should be hailed as a benefit. Who wants to be asking a fellow photog if they have a QXD card in the event of a failure or you forgot it at home or in the hotel?

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:24 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

Guys does it make sense to buy an a7Rii now. I am definitely not buying a9 and who knows when a7Riii comes.

May 01, 2017 at 08:14 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

nandadevieast wrote:
Guys does it make sense to buy an a7Rii now. I am definitely not buying a9 and who knows when a7Riii comes.

That's what I did. See above but I sold my 'older' A7r2 and bought a like new model as a form of insurance to see what Sony does next (A7r3 or A9r).

May 01, 2017 at 09:55 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

I don't want or need 20 or 10 fps. I am okay with 5 fps or so but would like to see these in a7R3:
Better long exposure performance
An automated bulb timer like Canon
6 screw mount (stronger the better)
a9 grip
a9 Finder resolution
a9 battery
a9 zero lag finder
a9 menu
a9 AF and speed of operation
Jog stick
41/50mp

Not needed:
20/10 fps
a9 top dial
24mp

As i write this I realise a9 is so good, the only thing missing there is MPs. If it was even 36mp nobody would talk about future releases.

May 01, 2017 at 10:17 AM
billsnature
• • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

No A9 for me.

Give me 30MP and great long exposure, with 3-5 FPS and I will keep A7R II, but would ditch A7S and A7R.

I do like controls layout!!

Just my thoughts

Bill

May 01, 2017 at 03:56 PM
raminolta
• • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

It depends if you are budget limited or not. My impression from what I have observed so far from Sony's marketing strategy is that they will most likely come up with a very interesting upgrade to A7r mk ii (be it called A9r or A7r mk iii; whatever they want) with significant improvements over A7r ii. However, they are going to jack up the price quite a bit compared to A7r ii which leaves it out of the budget of most people who already own A7r ii. That means budget limited people like me will have to wait for another two years or so before being able to upgrade their A7r ii to the newer version.

I don't think this upgrade will show up in less than a year and most likely, Sony will first release an upgrade to A7 ii and then to A7r ii. So I just got my A7r mk ii and based on my estimation (trying to come up with the most realistic and reasonable guess; not just being wishful), I will have to stick to A7r ii for at least three years before I will be able to afford its substitution.

nandadevieast wrote:

May 06, 2017 at 08:12 PM
raminolta
• • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

In A7r mk iii (or A9r), these seem like obvious upgrades to me which need to be addressed rather immediately:

- A9's electronic shutter curtain
- Touchscreen with improved functionality.
- Better and more reliable AF (particularly in low light).
- A9 extra knobs.
- Dual slot card.
- A9's better battery.
- USB 3.1 (or at least 3.0) connection.
- Better wireless interface: faster and, being able to save multiple network/computer profiles so that one can connect the camera to multiple devices without having to delete a profile for having another.
- Two functions buttons. Or the ability to turn one the custom buttons into a function button. With so many numerous features the camera has, having two function buttons at disposal seems highly useful now.

On another note, if Sony wants their costumers taking the application store seriously, they really need to work harder on that to come up with applications with innovative features. Current applications are often short in some necessary features

Obviously, improvements in the sensor is what draws many photographers to the Sony system. All those Canon and Nikon users who switched to Sony did it mainly for the Sony's superior sensor offering: dynamic range and lower noise are the priorities for most photographers.

May 07, 2017 at 06:33 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

Lots of trickle down possibilities from the A9 to the A7RIII that don't necessarily need to make a larger body. Keep the A7RII size, but put in what they can from the A9 and I'd be very happy. New 42.5MP sensor with a bit better DR would be nice all by itself.

May 08, 2017 at 10:51 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.