New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

Mathieu18
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

Curious people's thoughts (and if I should dump mine now before they take another hit in resale!) My first instinct was that the A7RII would get dumped left and right, but then considering better resolution, and still fast AF I'm not as sure. Working pro's doing sports and wildlife (maybe weddings) could benefit, but it's not a free lunch at "only" 24 MP. Thoughts?

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:10 PM
HiredArm

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

I think they're complimentary alongside each other at least until a probable/potential A9R is released. A9 is a better general use camera for sports, weddings, events, street, photojournalism, etc. but the A7RII is a better portrait option due to resolution. I'm leaning more towards dropping my spare bodies and maybe replacing some primes with zooms but the A7RII isn't going anywhere.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:16 PM
RoseandCharles

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

If we do get an a9, we would be adding it as a second body. We sold our a7II last year in anticipation of the new body announcements.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:30 PM
naturephoto1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

I still have my A7r V3 Kolari modded and stock A7r cameras. No interest in the a9 for my needs. On the other hand am awaiting the A7rIII with 72 to 80MP sensor. Resolution is much more valuable to me and my needs.

Rich

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:31 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

I even stick to one step below - keeping my A7R....more useful for my applications with 36MP and the DR it is providing me with.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:33 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

If and it remains at the "if" status for me, it would be a second body and not a replacement for the A7r II. I got the hunch that a new A7r II will be announced in the summer. Now, that would replace my A7r II and not the A9. Hm, come to think of it the new camera may be called A9'r, following the footsteps of the A7 line .

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:39 PM
TMaG82
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

It seems like they threw a lot of tech at this one but it's biggest draw has to be the speed. 20 FPS. 4-6 more FPS than the closest competition. While there is a market for it, I don't think I'm wrong thinking that for most it's complete overkill. But then again I don't think matching the a99ii with a 42mp sensor and 12FPS would get the wow factor that 24mp @ 20FPS does.

I think that the market for the two are distinct and different and while there is certainly some overlap, the target audiences are different enough.

Apr 19, 2017 at 05:00 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

i don't think the a9 is the successor to the a7r2 and the a7r2 won't see a lot of 'dumping' on this announcement.

it will be interesting to see whether Sony goes the D3 / D3x route or the D5 / D800 route for the high-res model that inherits all of these upgrades.

i think any camera that costs > $4000 probably won't negatively impact a7r2 resale because it's a 'different' customer. however, if sony can pack these features into a $3400 'a7Rm3' or $1900 a7m3, then the mark2 cameras would feel some pressure.

Edited on Apr 19, 2017 at 05:28 PM · View previous versions

Apr 19, 2017 at 05:03 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

As someone who shoots mostly for fun, can't see myself getting this. I have rarely needed to even use the 1.5fps my a7r offers. I would like to see some trickle down of some features like the EVF, battery, and joystick into the new a7riii though. Has a lot I like but is just way too much camera for my needs

Apr 19, 2017 at 05:03 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

Before the release of a9, I've seen a7rii dip down to 1900 range...I'm sure you will sure see more a7rii at the FS area. Could it down to 1500 range any time soon?

Apr 19, 2017 at 05:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kdrk888
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

TMaG82 wrote:
It seems like they threw a lot of tech at this one but it's biggest draw has to be the speed. 20 FPS. 4-6 more FPS than the closest competition. While there is a market for it, I don't think I'm wrong thinking that for most it's complete overkill. But then again I don't think matching the a99ii with a 42mp sensor and 12FPS would get the wow factor that 24mp @ 20FPS does.

I think that the market for the two are distinct and different and while there is certainly some overlap, the target audiences are different enough.

I like your line of thinking

Apr 19, 2017 at 05:27 PM
Luvwine
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

I have no interest in this camera for my needs. If you are a portrait, lanscape, or general purpose shooter, why bother? The target market is clearly sports and perhaps wedding pros or wildlife folks who value the redundant cards and FPS. I don't think we will see the A7rii prices dive until we see an A9r. Even then, how much cheaper will the A7rii go when compared to a say $5k A9r?

Apr 19, 2017 at 05:35 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

I have no need for most of the features that set this apart from older bodies. For now I'm rocking an A7 with the Kolari mod and an A7II for my native glass.

My motivations would be the improved tracking AF, the joystick, and the physical controls to change shooting modes and AF modes. I hate having to do that with function buttons and the LCD right now. It looks like this is a camera I'd never need to use the menu system for once set up the way I like it, save for formatting memory cards.

Apr 19, 2017 at 05:40 PM
ryuemura

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

I'm trading mine in. As a wedding photographer, I personally see a lot of benefits to the A9. I'll be listing my a7R II in 2 weeks, after these upcoming weddings.

Apr 19, 2017 at 05:45 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

I could use one but I'm not trading 42mpx for less. It would be a add on to system if I decided to do it.

Apr 19, 2017 at 05:48 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

Luvwine wrote:
I don't think we will see the A7rii prices dive until we see an A9r. Even then, how much cheaper will the A7rii go when compared to a say $5k A9r?

+1: That's exactly the issue which I am seeing, too!

Apr 19, 2017 at 06:08 PM
digital_AM
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

I could see this as a second body to my a7RII. It would be great for keeping up with my 4 year old although the a6500 would also meet my needs. I currently have the a6000 and a7RII.

Apr 19, 2017 at 06:19 PM
sids911

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

Do we have the weight and dimensions of the Sony A9? I think a lot of landscape guys will still stick to the A7Rii till the successor comes for that camera. The A9 might be a bigger and heavy body!

Apr 19, 2017 at 06:26 PM
bluloo
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

As a hobbyist, at that price, not a chance.

On pricing - if/when street pricing for the eventual A7RIII+ cameras peak over $3.5K, I can't see it making sense for me to buy new*.
Rather, waiting for two new releases, and then buying used/NOS for the older-new model would likely be the strategy.

*Yeah, famous last words.

Apr 19, 2017 at 06:59 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Trading Your A7RII for an A9?

sids911 wrote:
Do we have the weight and dimensions of the Sony A9? I think a lot of landscape guys will still stick to the A7Rii till the successor comes for that camera. The A9 might be a bigger and heavy body!

a9 is around 50 g (0.1 lb) heavier.

quick differences with the a7 ii.

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2017/04/differences-between-sony-a9-and-a7-ii.html

Apr 19, 2017 at 07:31 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password