1       2      
       4              7       8       end

In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

arbitrage
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

Pixel Perfect wrote:
0.35x and 1395g, so 180g lighter, and 10% or so better max mag.

Is that worth $4K AUD to you?

Apr 20, 2017 at 02:10 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

rico wrote:
I find Alpha 7 handling much better with its grip, but the controls remain seriously undersized—a consequence of the small body. In contrast, the big Canikon unibodies (I own both) have enough surface area to allow larger controls, and more of them. Will be interesting to see if the "pro" A9 uses buttons and switches from the same parts bin as the A7.

DPR reports that the buttons have a nicer, more positive feel. Still small though which some of us will love and others not..

Apr 20, 2017 at 02:11 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

arbitrage wrote:
The Canon is 0.31x at the same MFD so the Sony is breathing less. That is impressive for the Sony.....$3500CDN impressive....not so much

I don't believe that will be street price. Canon 100-400L II is RRP of about $3300 in Australia and if you pay more than $2600 you aren't trying.

Apr 20, 2017 at 02:19 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here's the MTF graph:

Whoah!
If I hadn't learned that Sony MTFs for their zooms are fantasies I'd be pre-ordering immediately.
But if that performance wide open at 400 can actually happen in a manufactured lens, or anything close, then it'll be amazing.

To answer @jhinkey if you believe these graphs its great. But like everyone except Zeiss (and that includes Leica I think) they are theoretical. Where Sony and Canon differ from Leica though is that the graphs don't take into account the effects of diffraction (which means that the stopped down performance is in theory, or perhaps in better theory, not quite as good as the graph says)

But it's manufacturing tolerance that's the big deal. The chart for the 70-300 was great, and @Fred Miranda tried many copies and couldn't get a good one. I decided to let him be a canary in that particular coal mine and haven't tried (though maybe some have got good ones)

Now the reality is, of course, that with a zoom it'll never be equally good at all FLS, and there will be copy to copy v variation as to what FL is better (one thing we learn from Roger Circala is that with zooms of about the same vintage, copy to copy variation is more significant than model to model variation)

But there's talk of things getting better in this regard, so it'll certainly be interesting to see how people go with it,....

Apr 20, 2017 at 02:49 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

DavidBM wrote:
Whoah!
If I hadn't learned that Sony MTFs for their zooms are fantasies I'd be pre-ordering immediately.
But if that performance wide open at 400 can actually happen in a manufactured lens, or anything close, then it'll be amazing.

To answer @jhinkey@ if you believe these graphs its great. But like everyone except Zeiss (and that includes Leica I think) they are theoretical. Where Sony and Canon differ from Leica though is that the graphs don't take into account the effects of diffraction (which means that the stopped down performance is in theory, or perhaps in better theory, not quite as good as
...Show more

Great summary!
If this graph was 'real', I would say the zoom is very impressive throughout the field but there will be some astigmatism/CA towards the edges. It seems to perform better at 400mm than at 100mm although both excellent in terms of resolution/contrast. It would be great if Roger gets 200 copies of this lens and run through his MTF machine!

Apr 20, 2017 at 02:59 AM
Parariss
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

jhinkey wrote:
What do people think of the MTF graphs? If you believe them do they look promising or is Sony's graphs optimistic (i.e, theoretical)?

Here's Sony's fantasy vs Lensrentals' reality for the recent 70-200GM.

The charts are scaled differently.
Specifically, the Lensrentals chart shows what you can credibly expect.
Whereas Sony's charts shows you what you can expect in the total absence of credibility.

Apr 20, 2017 at 04:27 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

I like the size, the weight, the adjustable torque on the zoom, and, while I agree the MTFs published are likely a fairy tale, I'm encouraged by the fact that they believe it'll be strongest on the long end, where I'd want the best performance. I don't see the MSRP being that far out of line compared to the big two. The Panasonic and Fuji super-zooms are significantly cheaper, but neither of them were designed to cover a FF.

This and the 1.4x are on my must-rent list.

Apr 20, 2017 at 04:31 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

Parariss wrote:
Here's Sony's fantasy vs Lensrentals' reality for the recent 70-200GM.

The charts are scaled differently.
Specifically, the Lensrentals chart shows what you can credibly expect.
Whereas Sony's charts shows you what you can expect in the total absence of credibility.

This is sort of right, but it's more complicated that that.

(1) For one Lensrentals chart is an average of manufactured copies.
As such it tells you what to expect in the technical sense of *expected* MTF.
But no real lens will be the expected MTF. It'll be better or worse. If you are tenacious you can get one better than this (or worse). In that sense the graphs MAY show something interesting: the best you can hope to get by being very demanding and tenacious.

(2) But the other thing is that LR show you a bigger range of frequencies, including the more demanding MTF 40 (which Zeiss and Leica show you but no-one else does) and MTF 50 (which no-one does). Sony are showing you MTF 30 as the highest frequency (as do all the Japanese makers) so it can be only be compared with some of those graphs.

(3) The final thing is that there was something wrong here: Roger Circala can't say much because he was working with Sony on this and is subject therefore to a NDA. But basically he's said that the discrepancy between his results and published was due to variation issues which Sony is working on. If that's better with the new lens, there's more hope. We'll see....

Apr 20, 2017 at 04:39 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

Roger should talk to them about copy variation with the new 85/1.8 too

Apr 20, 2017 at 05:41 AM
Chris_88
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

I know most folks here couldn't care less about a-mount, but may I remind everyone that with the 70-400G2 Sony has already shown that they are capable of producing an excellent long zoom that may not be as outstanding as the Canon 100-400 II, but very close. I may be too optimistic, but given my experience with long a-mount zooms and the 70-300G, I'm not too worried about the performance of this lens.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

40Driggs
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

I have the 70-400G1 A mount and it is excellent. I doubt the Canon is significantly better from an IQ standpoint. The autofocus is somewhat slow, but I know that this was improved in the G2 lens, so it shouldn't be an issue with the new lens.

I have to decide if I want to go with this lens or upgrade to the a7r II. I use the original a7 and I honestly don't really need the newer camera in most cases. I don't really do large prints and I like the 24 MP file size. I have to use the 70-400 on an LAEA4 which is ok, but not really ideal. I also don't have IBIS on my body so an OSS lens would be really nice. I also prefer stabilization in the lens on the longer lenses. I'm leaning towards finding a way to get this lens...

Apr 20, 2017 at 01:20 PM
tn1krr

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

Chris_88 wrote:
I know most folks here couldn't care less about a-mount, but may I remind everyone that with the 70-400G2 Sony has already shown that they are capable of producing an excellent long zoom that may not be as outstanding as the Canon 100-400 II, but very close. I may be too optimistic, but given my experience with long a-mount zooms and the 70-300G, I'm not too worried about the performance of this lens.

I've got 70-400 SSM2 and while is not as good in overall (on shorter focal lengths canon is clearly better) as Canon 100-400 II, in dxomark it actually matches Canon performance in the center of frame at 400 mm even when Sony is tested at 42 mpix A99II and Canon in 50 mpix 5DSR. I'm hoping that the 100-400 is similar in this sense with everything including kitchen sink thrown in to optimize the performance at 400 mm.

Edited on Apr 24, 2017 at 09:50 PM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2017 at 01:54 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

tn1krr wrote:
I've got 70-400 SSM2 and while is not as good in overall (on shorter focal lengths canon is clearly better) as Canon 100-400 II, in dxomark it actually matches Canon performance in the center of frame at 400 mm even when Sony is tested at 42 mpix A99II and Canon in 50 mpix 5DSR. I'm hoping that the 100-400 is similar in this sence with everything including kitchen sink thrown in to optimize the performance at 400 mm.

As a GM lens, I hope the 100-400 does even better. I've been pretty satisfied with my A-mount 70-400 G2 + LE-EA3 but certain focus modes are not available. They should all be available with this new lens on the A6500, A7rII, A9 (A9r . . . please).

Apr 20, 2017 at 06:02 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

rji2goleez wrote:
As a GM lens, I hope the 100-400 does even better. I've been pretty satisfied with my A-mount 70-400 G2 + LE-EA3 but certain focus modes are not available. They should all be available with this new lens on the A6500, A7rII, A9 (A9r . . . please).

Bob, you need to update the firmware of the LA-EA3. I am not sure whether it is readily available but an update of the firmware is also needed to get the A-mount lenses to work and generate a shooting speed of 10fps. While you cannot get that speed with the existing A7r II but I believe and I hope it will incorporate the missing native AF features with the A7r II.

Apr 20, 2017 at 06:13 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

AGeoJO wrote:
Bob, you need to update the firmware of the LA-EA3. I am not sure whether it is readily available but an update of the firmware is also needed to get the A-mount lenses to work and generate a shooting speed of 10fps. While you cannot get that speed with the existing A7r II but I believe and I hope it will incorporate the missing native AF features with the A7r II.

I'm not seeing how to update or where to get the firmware. Sony's site doesn't list any software/drivers for the adapter. A quick google search didn't yield anything obvious either.

Apr 20, 2017 at 07:49 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

40Driggs wrote:
I have the 70-400G1 A mount and it is excellent. I doubt the Canon is significantly better from an IQ standpoint.

The Canon is quite a bit better, especially wide open, The Sony G2 is closer, but the Canon is still noticeably better; I sold my G2 fairly quickly after doing a comparison.

Apr 20, 2017 at 09:15 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

rji2goleez wrote:
I'm not seeing how to update or where to get the firmware. Sony's site doesn't list any software/drivers for the adapter. A quick google search didn't yield anything obvious either.

Hi Bob, I got that info from one of the reviews of Sony artisans. That guy was using a long, white Sony A-mount lens; I am not sure whether it was the 300 or 500mm lens. He was saying that in order to get that shooing speed of 10
fps, the FW of the LA-EA3 will have to be updated. Of course, you could get that shooting speed only with the A9 and not with the A7r II. The notion that that FW update would enable the full AF features of the A7r II was more my speculation as using the A99 II you could get that. So, it would be foolish for Sony to just update the fps of Sony A-mount lenses. They might as well enable the full AF features.

They way I see how the FW can be updated is either by sending that adapter in to Sony or to hook up the adapter to a camera and connect the camera to the internet either via its own wifi or to hook up the camera to your computer and access/download the FW that way. I am sure there will be notifications from Sony when the FW is ready and can be downloaded, if its is user friendly.

Apr 20, 2017 at 09:30 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

AGeoJO wrote:
Hi Bob, I got that info from one of the reviews of Sony artisans. That guy was using a long, white Sony A-mount lens; I am not sure whether it was the 300 or 500mm lens. He was saying that in order to get that shooing speed of 10
fps, the FW of the LA-EA3 will have to be updated. Of course, you could get that shooting speed only with the A9 and not with the A7r II. The notion that that FW update would enable the full AF features of the A7r II was more my speculation as using the
...Show more

Thank you Joshua. I do think I'm getting that speed on my a 6500 although I haven't really tested it to that level yet. I guess I'll have to do a test

Apr 20, 2017 at 09:38 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

Hate to intrude but you guys will know the answer.
Will the FE 1.4TC work with this new FE 100-400 and the a6500

Apr 21, 2017 at 06:55 AM
tn1krr

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Hate to intrude but you guys will know the answer.
Will the FE 1.4TC work with this new FE 100-400 and the a6500

TCs will work with FE 100-400. I see no reason why it would not work with the 6500.

Details (without any mentions on specific camera body requirements) behind link below. With 2x TC the max F-stop is such small the you would lose PDAF on the pre-A9 bodies outside min zoom as the PDAF on those maxes to F/8. 1.4x should be fine even at max zoom where you have F/8 max aperture at 400 mm.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/camera-lenses/sel100400gm/specifications

Apr 21, 2017 at 07:21 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password