Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              7       8       end
  

In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS
  
 
Justin Stone
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


Fred Miranda wrote:
Please show me used ones that sold for $1,700.


There was one on your board (even) that sold for that in the last 4 months. I know, because I recently got one for that ballpark, but not quite that good.

What I really want to know is how well this lens will work with the A7R2. Or other A72 bodies for that matter.

I would be all over this lens as I've been lusting after a 400 for some time for FF, but I'm not preordering/purchasing this until we get some really thorough reviews on how it mates with A72s.






Apr 19, 2017 at 07:22 PM
Randolph K
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


Lowest I've seen a 24-70 GM is $1650. But they tend to go for $1700-$1750 used.

Regarding the 100-400, i'm excited about the lens. Not the price. I'd really like to have this lens very soon to enjoy during the warm weather but hope to hold out until I find one at a nice used price.



Apr 19, 2017 at 07:53 PM
kdrk888
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


Randolph K wrote:
Lowest I've seen a 24-70 GM is $1650. But they tend to go for $1700-$1750 used.

Regarding the 100-400, i'm excited about the lens. Not the price. I'd really like to have this lens very soon to enjoy during the warm weather but hope to hold out until I find one at a nice used price.


The main reason I am not buying this lens yet is I have a Nikon 80-400, a Sigma 150-600 S, a Nikon 500 f4 VR, and 2 Nikon bodies I use for birds and airshow stuff. I am pretty certain I will get this Sony in the future, maybe in a year...



Apr 19, 2017 at 08:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


Randolph K wrote:
Lowest I've seen a 24-70 GM is $1650. But they tend to go for $1700-$1750 used.

Regarding the 100-400, i'm excited about the lens. Not the price. I'd really like to have this lens very soon to enjoy during the warm weather but hope to hold out until I find one at a nice used price.


Wow, I will keep an eye for this lens at current used prices!



Apr 19, 2017 at 08:38 PM
40Driggs
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


I'm excited for this lens, but it has the usual "Sony premium." The great thing (for me) has been that as the Sony system gets more popular the used market grows. As a hobbyist I virtually always buy used and one of the reasons I liked canon previously was the huge lens market.

Since the a7r ii release, I have been able to pick up all my native e mount lenses used for significant cost savings. This is a big deal for me and I'll wait for the cost to come down used. $1500 would have been an instant preorder and I would have started saving at 2k. I'll pass (for now) on $2500.



Apr 19, 2017 at 08:54 PM
Justin Stone
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


Agree on most counts except even with Canon and Nikon they would periodically update lenses or release new focal lengths/aperture combinations that would change the equation from "I'll take that for 70 cents on the dollar" to "every day I spend without that lens I'm missing shots."

I've definitely paid the early adopter fee more frequently with Sony though. All three Batises. And the 70-300. Easily lost 1200-1500 for all 4. Still ... I have 10000 photos to show for it.

Was able to pick up 35, 55, and 24-70 at 20-50% discounts off Msrp so it's not all bad news.

Like you I'll be interested in seeing if the 100-400 drops, but mostly I'm interested in if it soars. Natively, there's nothing else.



40Driggs wrote:
I'm excited for this lens, but it has the usual "Sony premium." The great thing (for me) has been that as the Sony system gets more popular the used market grows. As a hobbyist I virtually always buy used and one of the reasons I liked canon previously was the huge lens market.

Since the a7r ii release, I have been able to pick up all my native e mount lenses used for significant cost savings. This is a big deal for me and I'll wait for the cost to come down used. $1500 would have been an instant preorder
...Show more



Apr 19, 2017 at 09:57 PM
kdrk888
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


40Driggs wrote:
I'm excited for this lens, but it has the usual "Sony premium." The great thing (for me) has been that as the Sony system gets more popular the used market grows. As a hobbyist I virtually always buy used and one of the reasons I liked canon previously was the huge lens market.

Since the a7r ii release, I have been able to pick up all my native e mount lenses used for significant cost savings. This is a big deal for me and I'll wait for the cost to come down used. $1500 would have been an instant preorder
...Show more

Well, if you look at the Nikon 80-400mm G VR and the Canon 100-400 II, they were priced well above $2000 when they were first introduced. I don't think the Sony is over priced much in comparison, it depends how badly you want it and how soon you need it...



Apr 19, 2017 at 10:05 PM
jhinkey
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


What do people think of the MTF graphs? If you believe them do they look promising or is Sony's graphs optimistic (i.e, theoretical)?


Apr 19, 2017 at 10:13 PM
Slalom
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


After the weekend the weight in Grams and the size in inches makes me smile.

We discussed measurements after lunch in a pub garden and and agreed metric was ok but we wanted miles as miles and naturally pints.

Not worried about inches feet and yards but places are miles away and fuel consumption is miles per gallon. Milk used to be delivered in bottles but now it comes in strange plastic bottles with odd numbers on milliliters. Then beer comes in pints.



Apr 19, 2017 at 10:19 PM
mogul
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


Slalom wrote:
After the weekend the weight in Grams and the size in inches makes me smile.

We discussed measurements after lunch in a pub garden and and agreed metric was ok but we wanted miles as miles and naturally pints.

Not worried about inches feet and yards but places are miles away and fuel consumption is miles per gallon. Milk used to be delivered in bottles but now it comes in strange plastic bottles with odd numbers on milliliters. Then beer comes in pints.


Imperial pints at that...not wimpy US pints (unless you go to a micro brew pub)



Apr 19, 2017 at 10:58 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Chris_88
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


I didn't expect them to turn this into a GM. I thought it would be a G. Then again who cares about naming . Seems Sony squarely aimed at Canon 100-400 L II. As we know, the Canon lens is extremely good. If they managed to produce a lens that performs as well or slightly better, this should be a great long zoom.

Personally, I'm more interested to see how this compares to the a-mount 70-400G2, because I have plenty of experience with that zoom. The a-mount lens is slightly shorter, but 100g heavier. The GM also has larger magnification (0.35x versus 0.27x). Given the inclusion of OSS and the more complex design (22 versus 18 lens elements), I think they moved the wide end up to 100mm (from the traditional 70/80mm) to keep things reasonably compact.

Fred: I think the first post needs updating, whenever you get to it. The above specs are quoted from B&H's website. The weight, size (at least in cm) and the filter thread size all seem off (assuming the B&H specs are correct. My guess is they are, seeing how they are close to the 70-400G2).



Apr 19, 2017 at 10:59 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


I watched the Max Yuryev video and was disappointed that he could barely get his fingers between the A9 and the 100-400. Sometimes these companies really need to learn to design things to work in the real world and not just try to minimize size....


Apr 19, 2017 at 11:15 PM
Chris_88
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


arbitrage wrote:
I watched the Max Yuryev video and was disappointed that he could barely get his fingers between the A9 and the 100-400. Sometimes these companies really need to learn to design things to work in the real world and not just try to minimize size....


From my experiences, it depends, Geoff. I have had some success capturing eagles in the past with the a7rii and an adapted a-mount 70-400G2. Sure, the a7rii is no match for the D500 or 1DX2 for that kind of application, but I didn't find that setup clumsy. Of course, trying to change settings while wearing big, warm gloves in winter may be a bit of a challenge.



Apr 19, 2017 at 11:29 PM
AGeoJO
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


arbitrage wrote:
I watched the Max Yuryev video and was disappointed that he could barely get his fingers between the A9 and the 100-400. Sometimes these companies really need to learn to design things to work in the real world and not just try to minimize size....


You need to get the battery grip to make it bigger and you can spread your right hand over a larger area.



Apr 19, 2017 at 11:36 PM
TMaG82
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


arbitrage wrote:
I watched the Max Yuryev video and was disappointed that he could barely get his fingers between the A9 and the 100-400. Sometimes these companies really need to learn to design things to work in the real world and not just try to minimize size....


Better get working on your finger crunches and your hand yoga to lose some extra flab around your meaty paws then. . The cameras not out until June so you have some time to lose it and A9 release just happens to coincide with each season. Coincidence?



Apr 19, 2017 at 11:37 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


Chris_88 wrote:
I didn't expect them to turn this into a GM. I thought it would be a G. Then again who cares about naming . Seems Sony squarely aimed at Canon 100-400 L II. As we know, the Canon lens is extremely good. If they managed to produce a lens that performs as well or slightly better, this should be a great long zoom.

Personally, I'm more interested to see how this compares to the a-mount 70-400G2, because I have plenty of experience with that zoom. The a-mount lens is slightly shorter, but 100g heavier. The GM also has larger magnification
...Show more

The Canon is 0.31x at the same MFD so the Sony is breathing less. That is impressive for the Sony.....$3500CDN impressive....not so much



Apr 19, 2017 at 11:44 PM
Trek_of_Joy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


Combined with clear image zoom, this lens gives FF shooters some serious reach without resorting to adapters.


Apr 20, 2017 at 01:32 AM
rico
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


AGeoJO wrote:
You need to get the battery grip to make it bigger and you can spread your right hand over a larger area.

I find Alpha 7 handling much better with its grip, but the controls remain seriously undersized—a consequence of the small body. In contrast, the big Canikon unibodies (I own both) have enough surface area to allow larger controls, and more of them. Will be interesting to see if the "pro" A9 uses buttons and switches from the same parts bin as the A7.



Apr 20, 2017 at 01:35 AM
Pixel Perfect
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


arbitrage wrote:
Two nice things I noticed about this lens:
1) Weight....less than my Canon MkII (at least per DPR spec sheet, Fred's specs above list it heavier?)
2) MFD and MM....0.31x...exactly like Canon's

Noticed they put that stupid window in the hood like Canon. Looks like a total clone of the Canon MkII which is a good thing.


0.35x and 1395g, so 180g lighter, and 10% or so better max mag.



Apr 20, 2017 at 02:09 AM
Matt Kerby
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · In Stock: Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5–5.6 GM OSS


Been waiting for this one...Just in time for spring/summer...


Apr 20, 2017 at 02:09 AM
1      
2
       3              7       8       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              7       8       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password