Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              13       14       end

Archive 2017 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

M. Best
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

This camera, while not as robust and durable as the 1Dx2, pretty much smokes it spec wise. Now, obviously we have to see real world tests of auto focus, images, etc, but that being said, this is a pretty big game changer. Also, this means that Sony can use this tech to put into their other bodies to also compete with the 5D4 as well. A cheaper 5D4 would be of serious interest to me personally.
It's good to have competition. At least for the consumer. 😀

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:03 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

No.

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:42 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

It depends on how well the A9 works with adapters, since Sony has no telephoto lenses in their lineup (aside from some slow zooms). Anyone wanting to shoot sports or wildlife will still need to use Canon (or Nikon) glass.

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:51 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

The battery life has doubled to 480 shots so a sports shooter might still burn through a cell in a few minutes...

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:53 AM
Eric Mastilak
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

Until you go to the sidelines of a NFL game and see other bodies besides Canon, the answer will be no.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:02 PM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

It will come down to AF performance and ergonomics.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:14 PM
fredster
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

There is a guy on you tube who used the camera. You should see his report.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:20 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

I would guess raise them if anything. A camera is not good/great because of it's specs, at least for a professional that uses their equipment a lot, it's a combination of specs, durability, lens options, reliability, support from the company, "feel" of the equipment and many other things. The a9 is interesting and it's nice to see companies putting R&D into new items.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM
fhammond
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

Unless you want a camera without a lens, Sony's prices aren't better.

If you bought a 1DXM2 and the Canon 24-70, 70-200, and 100-400, you'd spend $11,600. If you bought the equivalent Sony setup, you'd be spending $11,796.

That said, the Alpha 9 looks very interesting. No shutter blackout at high frame is really appealing. I think the lack of weather sealing 'though rules it out for me. Perhaps the A9 Mark 2!

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:28 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

IF they get enough traction and start selling them to large agencies and thousands of professionals, and actually affecting Canon's sales in a meaningful way, sure.

But that is a big IF, in alignment with the disparity in sales between the two companies in the segment.

Canon is not happy with Sony or other companies getting good marketing through forums, Youtube, blogs etc, but the real consumer vote is in hard coins, not likes and words: if Canon is selling more than all the competitors combined, that is definitely true with the 1D series since their introduction - not just last year - and probably also with the 5D series (if not, it is not that far), why would they change either their design fundamentals, or their pricing?

Forum warriors, bloggers etc, often form the impression that Canon is a dinosaur faced with extinction and that competition does "so much more", or cause DxO marks are so different...
$ speaks a bit differently, and some of it is because of "habit / comfort" that many enthusiasts are happy to leave behind and try something new, but - apparently - the majority doesn't. And that gives Canon enough cashflow to keep doing its own thing as they please.

I bet lots of good photographers will stand by their A9s, just like they did with their A7 etc. Those are great cameras, despite their quirks, as Sony does indeed try hard to break through. But real consumer $ has the last word.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:35 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

No

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:41 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

/endthread

evertdoorn wrote:
No.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:50 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

Great. Now I look like a troll. Haha

I just thought I'd stimulate some conversation is all.

I'm not a big fan of mirrorless cameras so this camera has no appeal to me. I do like that Sony is making new technology and raising the bar, per say. Fan boys aside, this gets people talking and interested in the hobby which is a mixed blessing of corse.

Apr 19, 2017 at 01:08 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

better question is will it (help to) kill off the dying carcass of Nikon

Apr 19, 2017 at 01:11 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

No.

Sony needs better battery life, glass and professional support to name a few before any big agencies will even consider switching.

Apr 19, 2017 at 01:12 PM
Stunnaz
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

I agree with JohnBrose from above who said "A camera is not good/great because of it's specs, at least for a professional that uses their equipment a lot, it's a combination of specs, durability, lens options, reliability, support from the company, "feel" of the equipment and many other things."

Canon is the leader in all those categories, but if they can't compete with Sony in sensor tech or just due to SLR limitations everything will change very quickly. Everything that Canon has now was built upon having the best tech in the DSLR segment, if all of a sudden now the selling point becomes "the reason to choose us is customer service"... it's just not going to fly for very long.

Apr 19, 2017 at 01:16 PM
alvit
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

1/32000 to do what?
no GPS

Apr 19, 2017 at 01:18 PM
WeftandWelk

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

I think all the people that have had problems with the a6300/6500 overheating and eating through batteries will probably stay on the safe side of the fence until a lot of brave folks have tested the new model thoroughly for a couple years.

Apr 19, 2017 at 01:29 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

dtolios wrote:
Forum warriors, bloggers etc, often form the impression that Canon is a dinosaur faced with extinction and that competition does "so much more", or cause DxO marks are so different...

Those people are a lot like politicians... trying to figure out which way the parade is going so they can run to get to the front of it...

Apr 19, 2017 at 01:40 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Will the Sony A9 force Canon to lower their prices?

dtolios wrote:

Which is also true....and I see in my circle of photographers more and more with Sony A7 series cameras and dumping their DSLR gear. Back to the original question: will the A9 force Canon to lower prices? Yes, for sure.

Apr 19, 2017 at 02:03 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.