FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

a9

LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · a9

Sony > the noise you can't ignore ...

h ttps://www.dpreview.com/news/1308959313/sony-announces-a9-24mp-20fps-high-end-full-frame-sports-camera

They're toeing into Leica territory with that invoice, though. Yikes.

Apr 19, 2017 at 03:56 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · a9

The camera looks quite amazing.
With the digital camera market in the shitter why price it at $4500+...
I am sure it costs them a fair bit to develop the thing but I mean come on.
Sell it at 2500 and they would move truckload after truckload to all kinds of people.

If you are an amateur photographer and are in the market for a camera I am betting a good sales person could convince you to spend $2500 but certainly not $4500. It may be a pro "sports" camera but I doubt a lot of sports photographers are going to be dumping their ultra long Canon and Nikon lenses which have worked for decades to move over to Sony... So that leaves video people, wedding people, and portrait people to buy the A9 up at $4500.
I don't know...maybe I am just bad at business and not a good economist but I think the price is going to hurt them a lot. Sony is not a "luxury" company like Leica and the A9 certainly is not going to want to make you go out and shoot your camera.
Leica can sell their stuff at ridiculous prices because of rich doctors and people who have to much money who want to be hip and live the Leica lifestyle. No one is living the Sony lifestyle...plain and simple it is a tool not a way of life.

But whatever. The camera looks amazing. With the Techart Sony to M mount AF adapter I am sure it would be a fun little camera with all my Leica lenses.

But like I was telling Chuck Anerino our Nikon stuff works so well that if I had extra money to blow I would be buying a Leica M10 because it would be a camera I would want to pick up and shoot all the time. I shoot my MM daily with my kid because it is a fun challenge and I really enjoy it. I doubt I would be yearning to shoot the Sony the same way.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:05 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · a9

Do you think for 4500USD they've figured out a way to keep the black paint from chipping off in 5 minutes after unboxing?

I jest, though. Can't wait to try one. Still unknown is the flash sync speed but everything else looks game-changing.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:09 PM
ayjayy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · a9

looks awesome...but for $4500 and the cost of Sony lenses I won't be switching.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:19 PM
BSPhotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · a9

Spec wise, this is the mirrorless camera that everyone wishes Nikon would build, but never ever will. They would price it at $3500 though.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:46 PM
ZachOly
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · a9

Really wished this was the A7III announcement

The tech looks amazing, it's just priced out of my range. I'm sure there's lots of rich guys out there who'll buy this to take photos of ducks at 20fps.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:53 PM
Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · a9

This looks really awesome. If I had enjoyed my brief time with the A7II more (from a controls and handling perspective), I would be really excited to get my hands on one. If the AF and tracking end up being phenomenal and they end up on the used market I might consider one.

Apr 19, 2017 at 05:08 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · a9

I wonder if the Eye AF is included and is it enhanced.

Apr 19, 2017 at 05:30 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · a9

Think about White House press conferences on NPR. No more repetitive loud clacking echoing after every breath or thought from the podium.

Apr 19, 2017 at 05:58 PM
BSPhotog
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · a9

LeeSimms wrote:
Think about White House press conferences on NPR. No more repetitive loud clacking echoing after every breath or thought from the podium.

I always assumed that they just blasted shutter bursts to troll the speaker.

Apr 19, 2017 at 06:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

evertdoorn
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · a9

If they want it to succeed with sport photographers, which seem to be a target, they need more long fast glass for sure.

Would it work well with adapted glass?

Apr 19, 2017 at 07:08 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · a9

hardlyboring wrote:
The camera looks quite amazing.
With the digital camera market in the shitter why price it at $4500+...
I am sure it costs them a fair bit to develop the thing but I mean come on.
Sell it at 2500 and they would move truckload after truckload to all kinds of people.

Isn't that what the A7 series is for - the more affordable A9 :-)

Apr 19, 2017 at 08:22 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · a9

Looks like a real step up. *If* the silent shutter can work with flash it'll be an incredible tool for wedding photographers. The only downside seems to be the weather sealing. It's going up against high end DSLRs and one of their biggest selling pitches is ruggedness and durability.

People who really want it will find a way of affording it. Camera prices are going up. Fuji did it with the XT2 and there's supposedly a newer higher end body comping from them as well. Camera companies need more margin if they're going to keep going. Model cycles will have to become a bit longer and margins higher. They'll replace yearly hardware updates with a few feature firmware updates. Cheap light and fast product cycles got mirrorless into the market but they need to evolve to be profitable.

What's more interesting are the sounds of crickets coming from Canon and Nikon. They can't possibly have their heads that far up their asses that they can't see what's coming. Silent shutters are just going to allow faster fps and no noise compared to DSLRs. New units will be pulling frames from 4 and 5K footage instead of stills. Wedding photographers are going to show beligerant church ladies how they make NO noise when covering ceremonies. Photo journalists are already dumping bigger bodies because it's so hard to travel with them. Wildlife photographers can get massive reach at high quality in a tiny package by using a Panny/Leica 100-400mm that's less than a kilo. Heck, even battery life is becoming less of an issue with Leica, Olympus and now Sony making smaller cameras with bigger batteries. And lenses that match or exceed the best from the big two.

Canikon need to get their shit together NOW, or Sony's plans for world domination will come true.

I'm not a huge fan of the skin colours Sony's produce, so not for me, this one. But I can see that it's going to be a big thing.

Gordon

Apr 19, 2017 at 09:22 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · a9

Price-wise, this is cheaper (and way better spec-ed) than either of the other two pro full frame cameras (1DXII and D5), so I'm not sure what the fuss is about? I expected it to be priced in line with them - pleasantly surprised it's not!

Between a new computer, taxes, and new sample albums, I'm tapped out for the foreseeable future, but hopefully I'll pick one up next year.

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:47 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · a9

If I was Team C or N, I'd start listening to my end users more.

If you make a list of every gripe anyone had with an a7, the've been addressed here. I'll predict even the colors are better. Oh and by the way they now have a wireless radio flash system and a significantly expanded glass line up in the last year. Meanwhile — at least on the Canon side — end user grips go on for YEARS without resolve. Our 5D4's are pretty well sorted out but it took them a long time to get there.

I spent 90 mins at the Sony booth (WPPI) and a super bright guy walked me through customizing an a7rII for my shooting style, menu by menu wireless flash configuration and let me shoot with all the new lenses. There's a real energy there.

While I won't say my time at the Canon or Nikon booths was bad, it did feel old & stodgy (maybe more on the Canon side — they don't wear black).

There's a new Sheriff in town.

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:54 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · a9

I'm sure they didn't just throw a dart at the wall with that pricing. Part research, part lets-see-how-far-we-can-stretch this, testing the market a bit. If low numbers bite at this price, quick reductions (ala Canon) will happen.

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:14 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · a9

btw — flash sync is 1/250th and it does have EyeAF

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:34 PM
Yajbuilder
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · a9

ZachOly wrote:
Really wished this was the A7III announcement

The tech looks amazing, it's just priced out of my range. I'm sure there's lots of rich guys out there who'll buy this to take photos of ducks at 20fps.

Yes, I'm in your boat (though I'd like to be in the latter "rich and take bursts of ducks at 20fps" boat too). I am really looking forward an a7iii with a more palatable price, with the fun AF of the a6500 or this a9 device. I want to replace my worker bee a7 with a metabones-able/TAP af system and the uber low light qualities of the new gen sonys. Indeed, the sony low light advances from a few years ago are why I now shoot sony for work in the first place. The a7rii is great, but still too pricy for all the things I don't want or need.

Seeing this a9, I feel confident the a7iii will tick all the boxes for me, both for birding and gala/event gigs (excluding now the increasing trend in price- the a7ii still has a reasonable price point, lets keep it there...). I agree, Sony is doing a good job keeping up with the consumers and folks who use these tools every day. I feel like it was last week I had an itsy bitsy nex-c3 in my hand and thinking, "make this FF, add like 10 more buttons and 3 more dials and I will sell all my DSLR gear"... Good show, bravo!

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:39 PM
t4haughton
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · a9

Why do they keep insisting on making it look a Nikon F from 50 years ago. They make other DSLRs, they know what they look like. At least half of the reason why this camera won't penetrate the pro sports market is that it still looks/feels like a toy.

To be clear, I think it's great that this camera exists. But I think if they really want to be an alternative to the 1Dx/D5 crowd, they're going to have to start with a camera that looks like those two bodies.

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:57 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · a9

I'd be much more interested in an A9r but would be terrified to see the price tag. However, the thought of silent shutter with no rolling shutter issues is pretty amazing.

Also, wtf at 2 SD slots??

Apr 20, 2017 at 03:03 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password