1       2       3              61      
       63       end

Archive 2017 · Pre-order: Sony A9

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.62 #1 · p.62 #1 · Pre-order: Sony A9

MJKoski wrote:
I am gonna get one of these at least as a loaner, but not for speed. Instead pulling it through all kinds of "wrong" use cases. Let's see how chickens fly then. Expect all kind of motion related abuse and shooting in dark toilets against bright light.

In all honesty your needs should come down to a tech cam with mechanical shutters and lenses. They handle the cold very well. Phase One backs are pretty cold friendly. You get the tilt and shift your after but it's going to cost you . That's a given. But it really maybe the only tool that can work for you the way you want. You can find a used 50 mpx CMOS back for a decent price.

May 19, 2017 at 09:22 AM
floppy86

Upload & Sell: Off
p.62 #2 · p.62 #2 · Pre-order: Sony A9

MJKoski wrote:
I am gonna get one of these at least as a loaner, but not for speed. Instead pulling it through all kinds of "wrong" use cases. Let's see how chickens fly then. Expect all kind of motion related abuse and shooting in dark toilets against bright light.

First test is already thought out: Crank freezer to maximum and see how long the new battery lasts @ -25C in one go.

I don't know how I survived with only a plain vanilla A7 in Upstate NY the last 3 winters. Had to buy a bigger car just to fit in all the spare batteries.

I'm glad there are people like you running all kinds of technical tests at home, so that actual photographers have more space to take pictures out in the world.

Chapeau.

May 19, 2017 at 09:26 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.62 #3 · p.62 #3 · Pre-order: Sony A9

For those who don't know, Norway, Sweden and Finland are neighbours inhabited by four peoples, Finnish, Norwegians, Samis and Swedes. We all know warm summers and cold winters, and we use all kinds of cameras with success during all seasons of the year! 🍀🌞☔️☃️

I use Sony mirrorless in Norway, even in the winter. ☃️❄️

May 19, 2017 at 09:39 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.62 #4 · p.62 #4 · Pre-order: Sony A9

bjornthun wrote:
For those who don't know, Norway, Sweden and Finland are neighbours inhabited by four peoples, Finnish, Norwegians, Samis and Swedes. We all know warm summers and cold winters, and we use all kinds of cameras with success during all seasons of the year! 🍀🌞☔️☃️

I use Sony mirrorless in Norway, even in the winter. ☃️❄️

Well said. All sorts of cameras work quite well here in the mountains of Northern New Mexico.
From my house I can see snow on the mountain tops from late October until early June.
And it can get pretty warm in the summer - but luckily always low moisture!

May 19, 2017 at 09:51 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.62 #5 · p.62 #5 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Steve Spencer wrote:
You are right that Sony will need to build good long lenses with great performance. Expect a 400 f/2.8 by the end of the year. It will take them about 3 years, but expect them to have the glass in place and an A9 mkII for the Tokyo Olympics. I think Sony knows full well they can't compete very well for the Sports market today, but I think they certainly are gunning to compete for that market by 2020. What will Canon and Nikon do by then? I don't think they will have a camera that will be able
...Show more

+1, all best engineering system started from a stable platform and why canikon doesn't see this coming ....they must have too much fun cheering up their old crown like some dslr folks here

May 19, 2017 at 09:52 AM
bclaff_too
• •
p.62 #6 · p.62 #6 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Steve Spencer wrote:
This site does a very good job measuring dynamic range, IMO and they have had an estimate of the A9s dynamic range for quite some time. It doesn't look nearly as bad as the dpreview article seems to suggest. Here is a link:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

FWIW, the Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) estimates for the ILCE-9 (A9) have been updated and I hope to post final numbers soon.

May 19, 2017 at 01:51 PM
bclaff_too
• •
p.62 #7 · p.62 #7 · Pre-order: Sony A9

RoseandCharles wrote:
The article is rather discouraging because at base ISO the shadow noise is bad, but at ISO 640 it's much much cleaner than base ISO. I'm not sure why they did it this way. Did they have to? Is it something they can change with firmware? Is the firmware that DPReview is using the final version?

Raises more questions...

Yes, dual conversion gain with Low Conversion Gain (LCG) at ISO 100 and high conversion gain (HCG) at ISO 640.

ISO 100 is still going to be the cleanest.
ISO 640 is not as good as ISO 100 but pretty close to ISO 200.
So, if you were shooting ISO Auto I think you might as well just start at ISO 640.

May 19, 2017 at 01:56 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.62 #8 · p.62 #8 · Pre-order: Sony A9

bclaff_too wrote:
Yes, dual conversion gain with Low Conversion Gain (LCG) at ISO 100 and high conversion gain (HCG) at ISO 640.

ISO 100 is still going to be the cleanest.
ISO 640 is not as good as ISO 100 but pretty close to ISO 200.
So, if you were shooting ISO Auto I think you might as well just start at ISO 640.

Exactly what I have been doing with the A7rII. Its either base ISO or ISO 640 and above

May 19, 2017 at 02:34 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.62 #9 · p.62 #9 · Pre-order: Sony A9

bclaff_too wrote:
FWIW, the Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) estimates for the ILCE-9 (A9) have been updated and I hope to post final numbers soon.

A stop better than the D5 at low ISO? Hardly the disaster at low ISO that some are complaining about!

May 19, 2017 at 04:39 PM
bclaff_too
• •
p.62 #10 · p.62 #10 · Pre-order: Sony A9

DavidBM wrote:
A stop better than the D5 at low ISO? Hardly the disaster at low ISO that some are complaining about!

I'm not aware of any disaster, but comparison with the Nikon D4S might be more appropriate.

May 19, 2017 at 05:36 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.62 #11 · p.62 #11 · Pre-order: Sony A9

bclaff_too wrote:
I'm not aware of any disaster, but comparison with the Nikon D4S might be more appropriate.

I wasn't attributing disaster talk to you, Bill! It's just that some people seem to think that because this body has a little less DR at base ISO than the A7rII in exchange for its other capabilities, the sky had fallen in. I'm guessing it's not dissimilar to the D4s, is that right?

May 19, 2017 at 05:41 PM
bclaff_too
• •
p.62 #12 · p.62 #12 · Pre-order: Sony A9

DavidBM wrote:
I wasn't attributing disaster talk to you, Bill! It's just that some people seem to think that because this body has a little less DR at base ISO than the A7rII in exchange for its other capabilities, the sky had fallen in. I'm guessing it's not dissimilar to the D4s, is that right?

The measurements are much more like a D4s than a D5.

For that matter the A9 doesn't look nearly so far below the A7RM2 than the D5 is to the D4/D4s

May 19, 2017 at 05:52 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.62 #13 · p.62 #13 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Well par for the course. Every new released Sony cam goes through the same it's a piece of crap and the sky is falling. Nothing new here.

This cam was not intended for base ISO and most folks will never shoot it at base. At least the intended Sony shooters that will use this. It's not a general feature camera.

May 19, 2017 at 06:23 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.62 #14 · p.62 #14 · Pre-order: Sony A9

This may be a bit "off-topic", but I realized just how lucky we are that Sony has equiped the camera with no less than four "command" wheels. There are the usual main- and sub-command wheels, a separate dedicated EV comp wheel and the wheel on the back of the camera can be turned as well. Control of the camera can be set up to be very direct.

Most DSLRs have only a main- and a sub-command wheel, that is just two, so you need separate +/- and ISO buttons. I had forgotten how sparsely the my NIKON DSLRs were equipped, much like the A6000, which has also got only two wheels.

Just some thoughts that popped up in my head, but useful to realize just how well designed the A9 and A7 series bodies are for controlling exposure. The joystick on the A9 will improve the control of the AF vastly, I think, so hopefully that trickles down to the next generation of A7 bodies.

May 19, 2017 at 09:01 PM
r.gil
• • •
p.62 #15 · p.62 #15 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Guy...need your advise
I do street photography and shoot from the hip
sometimes I miss focus since I do it very fast, and sometimes while I'm walking
Would the A9 be more accurate than my A7r2 in the focusing area?
I normally use a 28 or 35mm fix lenses
The fact that it's silent is a big plus!
thanks

May 19, 2017 at 09:11 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.62 #16 · p.62 #16 · Pre-order: Sony A9

I'm totally sure it going to be a lot faster to achieve focus than our A7r2. This thing looks really fast to me from some of the clips I have seen. Plus it can handle lower light better has almost the whole frame for AF points. I'm also thinking in AFC it's going to track much much better. This is all about speed to me. This will love street. Really from what I see it's what it was designed to do was this kind of fast work. I really see the up side here. I know it will help me a great deal, why I'm after it. I'm getting push back from the misses of course but I'll get it. My A7rII I love but it's got a speed issue always had but much better than the A7r. So this is the next step. Now maybe you don't need this horsepower but even the A6500 is faster than our A7r2. We have a great camera but it's design is high output not high speed and pushing 42mpx is not easy but the A9 has much faster processing and lower mpx. To even say it can do 20FPS means only one thing. Fast as sh-t

Now it's not cheap but it does have it going on.

May 19, 2017 at 09:35 PM
r.gil
• • •
p.62 #17 · p.62 #17 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Thank you Guy....I was suspecting that the A9 was going to be my next camera...

May 19, 2017 at 10:42 PM
pencilnink
• •
p.62 #18 · p.62 #18 · Pre-order: Sony A9

I was wondering if anyone knew what B&H Order Status: "New Order" and "Order Placed" mean? It's my first time preordering a brand new camera.

May 20, 2017 at 01:20 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.62 #19 · p.62 #19 · Pre-order: Sony A9

https://youtu.be/a6QZK1VdONg

The touch screen for af points looks much more responsive than the a6500 which often takes multiple taps to register the selection.

For you Guy,

https://youtu.be/69QP8RbLAlY

A little hard to see but Eye AF seems to be working noticeably better on the a9.

May 22, 2017 at 05:45 AM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.62 #20 · p.62 #20 · Pre-order: Sony A9

I think I am about to jump off the fence and order one, letting go of one of my A7r2s and an A6300. I shoot mostly weddings, and wedding films, the upgraded AF will be much welcome!

May 22, 2017 at 04:58 PM
       63       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

63       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.