1       2       3              41      
       end

Pre-order: Sony A9

Stoffer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.42 #1 · p.42 #1 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Matt Grum wrote:
When the A7RII drops to 12-bit there's no change in file size or format, the 12-bit values are padded up to 14 bits before compression. You actually need something like rawdigger to tell a file is 12-bit (other than by trying to gauge the dynamic range).

Oooh, I didn't know that. Thanks Matt...

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:33 PM
Duckysaysquack
• •
p.42 #2 · p.42 #2 · Pre-order: Sony A9

I actually can't afford the A9, but I just enjoy discussing new camera releases with you all :P

Apr 25, 2017 at 05:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.42 #3 · p.42 #3 · Pre-order: Sony A9

I wonder if Sony apps like Smooth Reflection will work in Silent mode with the A9...

Apr 25, 2017 at 09:08 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.42 #4 · p.42 #4 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Fred Miranda wrote:
I wonder if Sony apps like Smooth Reflection will work in Silent mode with the A9...

I read somewhere, but sorry can't remember where, that the apps aren't supported at all on the A9 (but the smart remote is folded into the firmware)

Anyone else seen this? Anyone know if it's true?

Apr 25, 2017 at 09:48 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.42 #5 · p.42 #5 · Pre-order: Sony A9

DavidBM wrote:
I read somewhere, but sorry can't remember where, that the apps aren't supported at all on the A9 (but the smart remote is folded into the firmware)

Anyone else seen this? Anyone know if it's true?

Man I hope not ! That would be a big let down. I expected that with the a99ii but the alpha9 should be fully
app capable in my mind.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:06 PM
jrtriebe

p.42 #6 · p.42 #6 · Pre-order: Sony A9

On the Sony website, under Other Features it lists PlayMemories Camera Apps (note the plural); However on the camera menus that we saw during the "unveil" the Apps icon was missing, so maybe the menu system is not yet finalized.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:48 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.42 #7 · p.42 #7 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Just visited the Sony booth again at NAB. Waited until near closing so that I'd have more time with the camera. More information:

The camera definitely tracks beyond f/11. Naturally it doesn't track as well as larger apertures but the on-screen displays shows the AF is tracking and the photo results support that as well.

No Play Menories app support. Ever! It's missing from the menu and I confirmed with a Sony rep that there's no plans in the future for the camera to support apps. I asked if this means future models will drop support as well and was told no - this is specific to the A9. No explanation given why.

The electronic shutter does appear noisier than the mechanical but the differnece seems small. I took a test shot at ISO 25,600 and compared to the mechanical at 100% magnification on the LCD. I took snaps of both screens with my iPhone - you can download them here

Apr 26, 2017 at 01:17 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.42 #8 · p.42 #8 · Pre-order: Sony A9

snapsy wrote:
Just visited the Sony booth again at NAB. Waited until near closing so that I'd have more time with the camera. More information:

The camera definitely tracks beyond f/11. Naturally it doesn't track as well as larger apertures but the on-screen displays shows the AF is tracking and the photo results support that as well.

No Play Menories app support. Ever! It's missing from the menu and I confirmed with a Sony rep that there's no plans in the future for the camera to support apps. I asked if this means future models will drop support as well and was told
...Show more

Awesome info and thank you. Maybe os memory has been rearranged so command structure(s) are not the same location(s) for older app(s) to execute ? this maybe apply only to RS version ? if this was the case then new RS app(s) shall be developed. I can't see any limitation on this one.

Apr 26, 2017 at 01:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.42 #9 · p.42 #9 · Pre-order: Sony A9

snapsy wrote:

No Play Menories app support. Ever! It's missing from the menu and I confirmed with a Sony rep that there's no plans in the future for the camera to support apps. I asked if this means future models will drop support as well and was told
...Show more

Thanks for the images. Definitely more noise with ES.
No support for Playmemories apps!..I hope it's not a trend and it's included with a future higher MP body.

*Since we are discussing Playmemories apps, I just found out that distribution and support for direct upload and Flickr add-on will end on May 31, 2017.

Apr 26, 2017 at 02:07 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.42 #10 · p.42 #10 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Is the e shutter noiser at all burst speeds, or is it worse ar 20fps than 12?

snapsy wrote:

...Show more

Apr 26, 2017 at 05:08 AM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.42 #11 · p.42 #11 · Pre-order: Sony A9

DavidBM wrote:
Is the e shutter noiser at all burst speeds, or is it worse ar 20fps than 12?

I used single-shot mode for the ISO 25,600 comparison. I imagine it'll be the same for 20fps.

Apr 26, 2017 at 05:41 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.42 #12 · p.42 #12 · Pre-order: Sony A9

snapsy wrote:

Awesome, thanks for reporting this.

snapsy wrote:
No Play Menories app support. Ever! It's missing from the menu and I confirmed with a Sony rep that there's no plans in the future for the camera to support apps. I asked if this means future models will drop support as well and was told no - this is specific to the A9. No explanation given why.

I'm not surprised by this, actually. I would assume that this is based on feedback from Pro's that probably regard Play Menories as kid tools, because they haven't tried any of them. Not all are as adventurous as Fred and others here , so that is a shame.

snapsy wrote:
The electronic shutter does appear noisier than the mechanical but the differnece seems small. I took a test shot at ISO 25,600 and compared to the mechanical at 100% magnification on the LCD. I took snaps of both screens with my iPhone - you can download them here

There is a ton of electronic stuff happening on the sensor now, so this isn't surprising, especially for a first generation stacked full-frame sensor. It doesn't look too bad though and I would reserve judgment until we get raws to play with anyway.

Again, thanks for your report.

Apr 26, 2017 at 07:17 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.42 #13 · p.42 #13 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Tony Northrup says (on twitter) he has closely evaluated the RAWs and can't see an IQ difference between the e-shutter and mechanical.

He also says that the DR at base ISO is very slightly worse than A7rII, and high ISO is very slightly worse too (regardless of shutter type)

High ISO I maybe understand (perhaps it isn't using the Aptina dual gain circuit) but I can't see why base ISO DR would be worse. Unless it's the extra AF points?

Anyhow just another data point....

Apr 26, 2017 at 11:08 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.42 #14 · p.42 #14 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Wonder if these units folks are shooting are full production models.

Apr 26, 2017 at 11:41 AM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.42 #15 · p.42 #15 · Pre-order: Sony A9

DavidBM wrote:
Tony Northrup says (on twitter) he has closely evaluated the RAWs and can't see an IQ difference between the e-shutter and mechanical.

He also says that the DR at base ISO is very slightly worse than A7rII, and high ISO is very slightly worse too (regardless of shutter type)

High ISO I maybe understand (perhaps it isn't using the Aptina dual gain circuit) but I can't see why base ISO DR would be worse. Unless it's the extra AF points?

Anyhow just another data point....

High ISO noise and base ISO DR share the same shadows on Exmor sensors; the deep shadows that largely determine base ISO DR become the lower midtones at ISOs starting at around ISO 25,600 (read noise progressively becomes more dominant at extreme ISOs). That said, Sony started using dual gain on the A7s so this relationship becomes a bit more complicated but basic premise still holds true.

Apr 26, 2017 at 12:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password