FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              27      
       29              45       46       end

Pre-order: Sony A9

Chris_88
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #1 · p.28 #1 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Looking at the threads on the Canon and Nikon boards and to a lesser degree this thread, it's amazing how aggressive/worked up many people who clearly have no interest in this camera get.

I find it sad that even here on FM, where people are generally knowledgable AND cordial, many users evidently cannot resist the urge to belittle those of us who use "inferior" mirrorless cameras.

The argument that the lens ecosystem is inferior to Canikon obviously is true, but at the same time, we're talking about a system that has been around for only 3.5 years (counting from the a7 launch).

Sony still has to significantly bolster its lens line-up beyond 100mm, but as Guy said, there are plenty of pros and serious amateurs who won't necessarily need a full range of fast 400/500/600/800 primes. The fact that many people here use big long glass doesn't necessarily mean, they are the main target audience. Event, wedding, etc. photographers probably get buy with the 70-200 GM and/or a fast 135mm at the long end, no?

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:47 PM
chiron
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.28 #2 · p.28 #2 · Pre-order: Sony A9

The silent shutter at 20 FPS is truly a fabulous achievement. But it is a special feature that is not needed by every user on every shot (though it's a huge advantage in some important situations, like weddings or street).

The key questions to me are what does the image quality turn out to be compared to the other Sonys and to the Canons and Nikons? What is the quality of the visual image from the sensor? What are the image advantages of this camera as distinct from the shooting advantages?

1. What is the dynamic range compared, say, to the a7Rii?

2. What is low light/high ISO quality like, compared, say, to the A7Sii?

3. What is the autofocus like, compared, say, to the Canon 1DXii or the Nikon D5 (especially in tracking and low-light)?

Those are the bread-and-butter image-making characteristics that matter on almost every shot (and that might draw even landscapers toward the camera). It sounds to me like this camera may be there on each of them. But we may have to wait for real reviews to know for sure.

If the camera provides image quality that is better than the A7Rii, with the exception of very high resolution (and the A9 is in the Leica-designated "sweet spot" for resolution), then it will be a camera that a lot of people are going to want now. If its image quality does not offer image advantages (versus mainly shooting advantages) over the A7Rii, then a lot of people, I think, will wait.

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:47 PM
Mathieu18
• •
p.28 #3 · p.28 #3 · Pre-order: Sony A9

I do get what you're saying, but full frame is fairly mandatory for a pro working for hire. We can debate the merits of smaller formats, and it's true that a pro could get great results out of M4/3, as it seems you do if you sell prints. But clients paying good money will not understand, and will expect you to have a "professional" camera.

Also, as I understand it, the E-M1 also had trouble with silent shutter under CFL type lights etc. which stopped a lot of potential uses and the banding ruins the shots. If Sony delivers with the first sensor that can primarily use electronic shutter, and be shot silently in all lighting conditions, and full frame, it really is revolutionary. It will be a significantly better choice for any situation the sound of the mirror slap or shutter is a problem.

But, we're also dealing with marketing hyperbole here, and we always will. Every new release is game changing, revolutionary, best ever, fastest... And all releases and brands do it. No one is launching a new product saying, yea, it's pretty good but not really different than those other three...

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:00 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.28 #4 · p.28 #4 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Sony A9 Preorder is now available:

B&H Photo | Adorama ($4,499)

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:08 PM
Ken_Cravillion
• •
p.28 #5 · p.28 #5 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Preordered two! Can't wait!

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:13 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.28 #6 · p.28 #6 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Well I pre ordered. Not sure I will go through with it. But as I said several times this is something I never thought I would ever see in my career so it will make my life easier and I see the power of its features. I actually have a need for this. Certainly have the want button lit up. Lol

But the best part is this tech will trickle down to cameras that most of us will want down the road. I give Sony a lot of credit for sticking their nose out there

Edited on Apr 21, 2017 at 02:16 PM · View previous versions

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:13 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.28 #7 · p.28 #7 · Pre-order: Sony A9

For you Ken I see the need a mile away. Good on you.

Ken_Cravillion wrote:

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.28 #8 · p.28 #8 · Pre-order: Sony A9

GMPhotography wrote:
Well I pre ordered. Not sure I will go through with it. But as I said several times this is something I never thought I would ever see in my career so it will make my life easier and I see the power of its features. I actually have a need for this. Certainly have the want button lit up. Lol

But the best part is this tech will trickle down to cameras that most of us will want down the road. I give Sony a lot of credit for sticking their nose out there

You are in so much trouble when your wife comes back from vacation!

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:35 PM
Ken_Cravillion
• •
p.28 #9 · p.28 #9 · Pre-order: Sony A9

And with any luck the cameras will be waiting for me when I get back from my trip to Iceland.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:35 PM
chiron
• •
p.28 #10 · p.28 #10 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Ken_Cravillion wrote:

Congratulations!

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

stevesanacore
• •
p.28 #11 · p.28 #11 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Matt Grum wrote:
A7R has neither a silent shutter or electronic first curtain. It's mechanical shutter is also rather loud.

The A7RII has both EFCS and silent shutter, but in silent shutter mode the bit depth drops from 14 to 12 and there is more [image] noise. Also the readout speed is a very slow 1/15s, meaning you get rolling shutter artifacts. Also silent shutter is disabled in continuous shooting mode, so if you want to take more than one frame with it you have to keep mashing the shutter button as fast as you can.

Suffice to say it leaves something to be
...Show more

Sorry, what I meant was the A7R2 and A7II. I remember when I had a demo of the A7S, Sony was promoting the silent shutter feature of it. It was amazing to shoot a photo with no hint in the viewfinder and no noise. I guess it was never a big hit because no one ever talks about it, probably because of the shortcomings you mention. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:41 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.28 #12 · p.28 #12 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Chris_88 wrote:
Looking at the threads on the Canon and Nikon boards and to a lesser degree this thread, it's amazing how aggressive/worked up many people who clearly have no interest in this camera get.

I find it sad that even here on FM, where people are generally knowledgable AND cordial, many users evidently cannot resist the urge to belittle those of us who use "inferior" mirrorless cameras.

+1. Beside its stabilizer, this mechanical independent A9 is the start of sony deeper techs that beyond words for many still/video applications from here on. Imo, it will take time for people to see it.

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:33 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.28 #13 · p.28 #13 · Pre-order: Sony A9

mttran wrote:
+1. Beside the stabilizer, this mechanical independent A9 is the start of sony deeper techs that beyond words for many still/video applications from here on. Imo, it will take time for people to see it.

I agree. Shooting action with this camera may feel almost like shooting a video. It will take time for us to adjust to the new tech but once we get used to it, it may feel weird to go back to the old ways...

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:36 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.28 #14 · p.28 #14 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Fred Miranda wrote:
I agree. Shooting action with this camera may feel almost like shooting a video. It will take time for us to adjust to the new tech but once we get used to it, it may feel weird to go back to the old ways...

+1, Sony sky has no light limits ...and that is what I see when they first released ff milc models. I hope the conflicts we have will go away soon or later whenever canikon catch up with sony.

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:53 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.28 #15 · p.28 #15 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Fred Miranda wrote:

It's essentially the same as shooting 20fps video; the only difference being it can optionally output raw images instead of only JPEG frame grabs for video. Strangely enough the A9 can in a way be considered a stopgap product until the arrival of 8K video, which will yield 36MP stills at 30 fps

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:03 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.28 #16 · p.28 #16 · Pre-order: Sony A9

snapsy wrote:
It's essentially the same as shooting 20fps video; the only difference being it can optionally output raw images instead of only JPEG frame grabs for video. Strangely enough the A9 can in a way be considered a stopgap product until the arrival of 8K video, which will yield 36MP stills at 30 fps

Yeap, now we can see where this is going...

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:09 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.28 #17 · p.28 #17 · Pre-order: Sony A9

snapsy wrote:

+1, hahaha - sony, just incase you are browsing this thread....would you please put the above request on A9R list.

Edited on Apr 21, 2017 at 04:12 PM · View previous versions

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:09 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.28 #18 · p.28 #18 · Pre-order: Sony A9

GMPhotography wrote:

Guy, your gear thought process is like a three-act movie. Act one is introducing the characters (camera). Act two is the build-up of tension and uncertainty. Act three is the resolution of the tension and happy ending, with the guy getting the girl (camera)

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:11 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.28 #19 · p.28 #19 · Pre-order: Sony A9

Chris_88 wrote:

The argument that the lens ecosystem is inferior to Canikon obviously is true, but at the same time, we're talking about a system that has been around for only 3.5 years (counting from the
...Show more

It isn't about the camera, which is probably great, and it wouldn't have been the lenses either except for one thing:
On Sony's home page for this camera, they show almost exclusively images of outdoor sports that require those long lenses that aren't there yet. They give the impression of a system that doesn't really exist. Amateurs will buy it to get the latest, greatest, and most of them wouldn't buy those long, fast primes anyway. Guy will buy one too and others with similar needs to his. It's called GAS, isn't it

But for someone like me, who actually shoot motor sports in daylight and sometimes in rain, a 10 year old D2Xs does more or less the same job. It's even weather sealed, proven over many years of heavy use.

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:15 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.28 #20 · p.28 #20 · Pre-order: Sony A9

snapsy wrote:

Does this mean the A9 will use stopped-down focusing for all lenses, and not just the GM lenses? I can't imagine they would be opening and closing the aperture 60 times per second. And if it does focus everything at the shooting aperture, that doesn't bode well for shooting at small apertures in low light...

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:18 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password