Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D...

vitalishe
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D5...

If it was Ok for D610 with 24MP why would it not be Ok for D5 with 21MP? The reason it is probably there is professional sports shooters don't need additional risk of moire.

Apr 20, 2017 at 01:57 PM
ReyGay
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D5...

It doesn't make sense removing the AA filter. It has been placed there for a complicated reason. Getting the correct AA filter with the right spec can take months in the engineering design process. Removing that AA filter will make the results deviate from what Nikon has worked hard for to make the images look right.

I remember removing the AA filter on my D1X a million years ago and the images looked purple-ish, so I put it back on.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver

Apr 20, 2017 at 09:29 PM
sk66
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D5...

vitalishe wrote:
If it was Ok for D610 with 24MP why would it not be Ok for D5 with 21MP? The reason it is probably there is professional sports shooters don't need additional risk of moire.

The 610 has a weak AA filter.
But the Leica M8 (10MP) and the M9 (18MP) don't have AA filters...

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:14 PM
sk66
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D5...

ReyGay wrote:
I remember removing the AA filter on my D1X a million years ago and the images looked purple-ish, so I put it back on.

Sounds like you simply removed the whole filter stack on your D1x, removing the IR/UV filters along with the AA filter.

Still, there is the potential for there to be a WB shift due to having a different IR/UV filter installed. But that is relatively easy to permanently correct.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:18 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D5...

Sounds like you had your mind up before you even made the thread. Let us know how you like it

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:32 PM
ReyGay
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D5...

sk66 wrote:
Sounds like you simply removed the whole filter stack on your D1x, removing the IR/UV filters along with the AA filter.

Still, there is the potential for there to be a WB shift due to having a different IR/UV filter installed. But that is relatively easy to permanently correct.

Well if it makes you happy, go ahead with it.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:32 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D5...

Be prepared to see almost no difference in sharpness. Outside of test conditions with moving subject even less difference. Then there is the hit you'll take when you sell it.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:01 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D5...

I use a D500 and I have never seen Moire. However, I only use mine for nature photos, and a small number of general ones.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charles Loy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D5...

LifePixel is the company to trust with the camera, they are the best in this business. I've had a couple cameras converted to IR with LP. Very pleased! Saying that for service assurance, but not recommending removal the filter.

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:46 AM
camerapapi
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D5...

Christian, there is no way the lack of a AA filter will produce different colors. The lack of the filter will produce a false color only in one area of the photograph (moire) but will not change the RGB pattern in the sensor.

The D800 has a LPOF or low pass optical filter which is not actually a AA filter but acts similarly. The D800e has an optical glass that seems to handle moire and improves sharpness. I do not use either camera and as I said I have always used bodies with a AA filter. The Olympus OM-D1 has no AA filter and ask anyone who owns it if they have ever seen any color shifts in their files.

Talking about colors, my preference is for pastel colors. I was very happy with the first generation colors of Nikon cameras. The D100, D1X, D2X and D200 were very good examples. Beginning with the D300 I noticed I had to do some tweaking to the colors to get what I wanted. Newer cameras behave the same in my opinion. I regret I never bought a D200 even when I used one and I was very happy with the colors it produced.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:15 PM
Christian H
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D5...

Many thanks for the lectures by amateurs who don't use the D810 or D500. Unfortunately, declarations like "there is no way ..." contradict the existence of false color, magenta/green barf, amp glow or whatever Nikon wants to call it.

Christian

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:37 PM
starlights
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D5...

You won't know the difference unless you do it. So go for it! Don't forget to post similar before/after pictures for others afterwards.

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:53 PM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D5...

Christian H wrote:
Many thanks for the lectures by amateurs who don't use the D810 or D500. Unfortunately, declarations like "there is no way ..." contradict the existence of false color, magenta/green barf, amp glow or whatever Nikon wants to call it.

Christian

I suspect there is a larger difference in color in raw files (before processing) opened with Nikon software or third party software.

Rags

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:59 PM
sk66
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D5...

Irregardless of the sensor size/MP/and AA filtration there is the possibility of moire (luminance and color).
Probably the worst case I have encountered in recent memory was w/ a Nikon1 V2 (14MP 1" sensor w/ AA).

IMO, the main problem w/ moire is recognizing that it is happening. If moire is encountered/recognized then there are a few ways to possibly deal with it.
You can change the size of the pattern so that it doesn't match up any more, by changing composition (distance/FL).
You can change the angle to the pattern so it changes and no longer matches.
You can use diffraction (smaller apertures) or possibly lens errors (wider apertures) to eliminate it.
Or you might be able to put it outside of the DOF (or farther out).
If none of that is possible or it's not recognized, once it is recorded you have two options... reduced output size (oversampling) or moire corrections (which can have negative effects).

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:47 PM
sk66
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D5...

Mark_L wrote:
Be prepared to see almost no difference in sharpness. Outside of test conditions with moving subject even less difference. Then there is the hit you'll take when you sell it.

I'm prepared if that is the result...

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:48 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · I think I'm going to have the AA filter removed from my D5...

Suggestion:

Make sure that the mechanics, who do the removal, return your original AA Filter in undamaged condition to you so that you can have it replaced if/when you find that the performance of your D5 has actually diminished as a result of this surgery.

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:05 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password