New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Mk II K&F Concept adapters

DavidBM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

I was recently in the market for an affordable Canon FD adapter to evaluate an FD lens.

I've had good luck with K&F Concept adapters among the cheap ones.

Then I saw on eBay someone advertising a "Mark II" "all brass" K&F adapter.

I was skeptical, but it was the usual reasonable price so I ordered one.

Well it's arrived, and yes it is a step up in build from their usual (perfectly serviceable) ones.

Both the camera mount and the lens mount are very smooth chrome plated brass (unlike the older ones where it was just the lens mount). And the quality of the chrome seems better.

Also the inside is a better grade of very matte finish than they used to use. ; not the excellent baffles of Rayqual, or the OK millings of Novoflex, but better than most. And accuracy seems good, though I haven't used it on a wide.
Only downside is that it's a bit heavy, but that's reassuring.

I'd say the Mark II ones are far and away the best bargain adapters I've come across. You can pay a little less and get a lot less. You can pay a lot more and get a little more. I'd still go Rayqual or Novoflex (or Hawk's for Leica M) for a pricey lens that I expect not to keep for many years, but these are nice.

I'm not sure how many mounts the Mk !! version comes in
(one respect in which Novoflex is better for FD is that I like their aperture leave retentions system: the K&F has the ring you have to engage that many have, though it's better made than most)

One last thing: I think only one seller called them "new MkII copper (which seems to be uniform Chinese English for brass)" . But you can tell by the photo whether the camera mount is black or chromed. I can see both types for sale: in M42 mount the old one is being sold for twice the price of the new one!

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:41 AM
Chris_88
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

Thanks for the heads-up, David. I'm currently looking for an adapter to use an EF mount manual focus lens with my a7rii. I looked for alternatives that are more affordable than the Sigma MC-11 (as I don't need AF). I also don't want to spend that much money on adapters, hence the K&F adapters caught my attention. Do they have an EF to e-mount adapter in these version 2 series as well? I think what I saw the other day for 70-80 US dollars was a version 1 type.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:35 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

Chris_88 wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up, David. I'm currently looking for an adapter to use an EF mount manual focus lens with my a7rii. I looked for alternatives that are more affordable than the Sigma MC-11 (as I don't need AF). I also don't want to spend that much money on adapters, hence the K&F adapters caught my attention. Do they have an EF to e-mount adapter in these version 2 series as well? I think what I saw the other day for 70-80 US dollars was a version 1 type.

Afraid I'm no wiser than you! Try to see an image that shows the end that connects to the camera, if it's black it's type 1...

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:41 PM
artur5
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

For what I've seen now on Ebay, there're is a version 2 of the K&F for Canon to Sony-E, but it's the AF model costing $90. The $20 dumb adapter is version 1 (i.e. rear flange in black anodized aluminium)

Edited on Apr 19, 2017 at 01:09 PM · View previous versions

Apr 19, 2017 at 01:08 PM
Chris_88
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

DavidBM wrote:
Afraid I'm no wiser than you! Try to see an image that shows the end that connects to the camera, if it's black it's type 1...

Thanks, David. I've just checked. Apparently here in Japan the new improved adapters are available only for m43, FD, Nikon F and Minolta MF lenses at this point.

I wonder whether the version 1 K&F adapters are worthy 80 bucks or whether it's safer to spend 2.5x as much on a Sigma MC-11.

Apr 19, 2017 at 01:08 PM
Chris_88
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

artur5 wrote:
For what I've seen now on Ebay, there're is a version 2 of the K&F for Canon to Sony-E, but it's the AF model costing $90. The $20 dumb adapter is version 1 (i.e. rear flange in black anodized aluminium)

Thanks for that info. These adapters confuse me. I just realized there is a cheaper dumb version as well. I was looking at the AF adapter.

Apr 19, 2017 at 01:11 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

Thanks for the information David.

K&F adapters have been my budget adapters of choice for some time and I am preparing an article on adapters so I ordered one at a seller on amazon.de. It was described as "K&F Concept MD-NEX II Kupfer-Bajonett". Kupfer is copper and Bajonett is mount in German.

I am especially interested in the thickness and reflections, both categories where Novoflex adapters used to be superior.

Apr 20, 2017 at 08:55 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Thanks for the information David.

K&F adapters have been my budget adapters of choice for some time and I am preparing an article on adapters so I ordered one at a seller on amazon.de. It was described as "K&F Concept MD-NEX II Kupfer-Bajonett". Kupfer is copper and Bajonett is mount in German.

I am especially interested in the thickness and reflections, both categories where Novoflex adapters used to be superior.

Yep you that sounds like a Mk II version for sure.

My Mark II seems to give infinity at the infinity stop on a couple FD lenses; but we'd need a sample of quite a few to be sure that I didn't get lucky.

The internal paint or finish is also very matte, unlike the slightly shiny black interior of the Mk 1 (I have flocked my Mk I adapter with telescope flocking). I think there is a slight visible bit of silver still where perhaps we are seeing though to the lens mount itself, which it might be tempting to block with flocking (this is where Novoflex does well with a ridged ring, and Rayqual does best with masks.)

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM
BastianK
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

I just ordered a K&F Nikon Ai -> Sony-E MK II adapter as well and will check it out ( = compare it to Metabons Nikon-G -> Sony-E).

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:55 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

DavidBM wrote:
Yep you that sounds like a Mk II version for sure.

My Mark II seems to give infinity at the infinity stop on a couple FD lenses; but we'd need a sample of quite a few to be sure that I didn't get lucky.

The internal paint or finish is also very matte, unlike the slightly shiny black interior of the Mk 1 (I have flocked my Mk I adapter with telescope flocking). I think there is a slight visible bit of silver still where perhaps we are seeing though to the lens mount itself, which it might be tempting to block
...Show more
Do you have personal experience with Rayqual? I have read that their thickness is to the point and their light baffel should als make for superior reflection-suppression compared with the Novoflex. But they are more than twice as expensive as the Novoflex with which I have had no real issues.

Apr 20, 2017 at 06:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Do you have personal experience with Rayqual? I have read that their thickness is to the point and their light baffel should als make for superior reflection-suppression compared with the Novoflex. But they are more than twice as expensive as the Novoflex with which I have had no real issues.

Yes; I have their C/Y adapter and it's great in exactly these ways. It's the only dumb adapter I know of with really good light baffles, and it's exactly the right size and alignment.

Here in Australia, buying by eBay, its slightly cheaper than Novoflex. I guess it's import duties that are the problem for you?

Apr 20, 2017 at 08:47 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

DavidBM wrote:
Yes; I have their C/Y adapter and it's great in exactly these ways. It's the only dumb adapter I know of with really good light baffles, and it's exactly the right size and alignment.

Here in Australia, buying by eBay, its slightly cheaper than Novoflex. I guess it's import duties that are the problem for you?

Novoflex adapters are relatively cheap in Germany and taxes and duties make the Rayqual more expensive. Do you see any reason to get the Novoflex if prices are similar?

Apr 21, 2017 at 05:17 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Novoflex adapters are relatively cheap in Germany and taxes and duties make the Rayqual more expensive. Do you see any reason to get the Novoflex if prices are similar?

Nope; personally I'd pay a small premium for Rayqual (although I don't have their FD adapter and I like the design of the Novoflex one with no moving ring ...m though maybe Rayquals works that way). Not only do the Rayquals have better baffles than Novoflex, they are lighter for the same level of build quality. The Novoflex do feel wonderfully solid though.

But this is all based on small samples! I have 3 Novoflex (M42 and Nikon and Leica M) and 2 Rayqual (C/Y and OM)
(and a drawer full of cheapie: C&F Mk I which are fine if you flock them, C&F II which seem better still, Fotga which are never the right size, and a no-name M adapter which was fine when new but can't hold the lens on now!

And I never use my Leica M novoflex any more because I prefer a helicoid...

Apr 21, 2017 at 05:53 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

DavidBM wrote:
Nope; personally I'd pay a small premium for Rayqual (although I don't have their FD adapter and I like the design of the Novoflex one with no moving ring ...m though maybe Rayquals works that way). Not only do the Rayquals have better baffles than Novoflex, they are lighter for the same level of build quality. The Novoflex do feel wonderfully solid though.

But this is all based on small samples! I have 3 Novoflex (M42 and Nikon and Leica M) and 2 Rayqual (C/Y and OM)
(and a drawer full of cheapie: C&F Mk I which are fine if you flock
...Show more
It is even worse with adapters than with lenses: Unless you are Roger Cicala you can only guess the shape of the distribution curve.

My own experience is pretty similar to yours though: The Novoflex adapters are very solid with low variance and they are a little short while noname adapters vary a lot. My experience with K&F is that their adapters are well made with rather low variance but they are significantly shorter than my Novoflex adapters which has caused some issues for me. I have self adhesive cooper foil to shim adapters but I needed 4 layers of it to get my OM adapter adjusted and messed up the parallelism in the process.

Apr 21, 2017 at 06:32 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

Phillip Reeve wrote:
It is even worse with adapters than with lenses: Unless you are Roger Cicala you can only guess the shape of the distribution curve.

My own experience is pretty similar to yours though: The Novoflex adapters are very solid with low variance and they are a little short while noname adapters vary a lot. My experience with K&F is that their adapters are well made with rather low variance but they are significantly shorter than my Novoflex adapters which has caused some issues for me. I have self adhesive cooper foil to shim adapters but I needed 4 layers
...Show more

My Rayquals are both exactly the right length; but to be honest that almost worries me because there must be some variation and if they are on average just right some must be too long...

Apr 21, 2017 at 06:39 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

DavidBM wrote:
My Rayquals are both exactly the right length; but to be honest that almost worries me because there must be some variation and if they are on average just right some must be too long...

Recently sebboh mentioned that his adapters shimmed for his a7 did not reach infinity on Nehemias a7 so it seems Sony allowed quite a bit of variance there as well. I guess that there is some risk to get an Rayqual adapter which doesn't reach infinity with some a7/lens combinations. So you would trade that risk against a good chance for a precise infinity calibration.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:20 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Recently sebboh mentioned that his adapters shimmed for his a7 did not reach infinity on Nehemias a7 so it seems Sony allowed quite a bit of variance there as well. I guess that there is some risk to get an Rayqual adapter which doesn't reach infinity with some a7/lens combinations. So you would trade that risk against a good chance for a precise infinity calibration.

Yes I guess I would, especially given the baffles. Also, I have only two, and for all I know they are on average a bit short and I just got lucky! It's hard to know with these small sample sizes (My Novoflex M is exactly on infinity, my M42 and Nikon a tiny bit short). The Hawk's adapter I got recently for M is fantastic the way you can calibrate for infinity - I've got another one coming. They have good baffles too. I'm guessing Sony increased the precision of the mount with the II series (they certainly increased the apparent robustness)

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:30 AM
coase

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

May I ask for a link to these Mark II adapters? I like K&F a lot, and searched for these newer versions, but cannot find them.

Thanks.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:27 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

coase wrote:
May I ask for a link to these Mark II adapters? I like K&F a lot, and searched for these newer versions, but cannot find them.

Thanks.

Here are a couple.... (often the chinese sellers on eBay say "copper" to indicate the Mk II, which is their way of saying that the camera mount side is chromed brass)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/K-F-CONCEPT-FD-NEX-Copper-Adapter-for-Canon-FD-Lens-to-Sony-NEX-Mount-Camera-/131985022030?hash=item1ebaeb9c4e:g:YnEAAOSw5cNYErg4

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/K-F-CONCEPT-AI-NEX-Copper-Adapter-for-Nikon-AI-Lens-to-Sony-NEX-Mount-Camera-/142162969629?hash=item211992c41d:g:ZJoAAOSwa~BYNloa

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:39 PM
coase

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mk II K&F Concept adapters

Thanks!

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:24 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password