FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Gimbal for stills

johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Gimbal for stills

krementz wrote:
Save weight and money: get the new 50/1.8.

The f/1.4 lens is sharper at all common apertures, but probably not enough to matter for the price; Tamron's 45/1.8 VC might be interesting though, as those lenses are sharper and stabilized, and you won't be worried about the slower focus they exhibit when shooting at or near infinity.

(this is assuming you actually need the light from the faster lens, which really sounds like a niche case- I'd certainly recommend a 16-35/4L or 24-70/4L or stabilized Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC first...)

Apr 22, 2017 at 04:04 PM
xoda
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Gimbal for stills

johnctharp wrote:
The f/1.4 lens is sharper at all common apertures, but probably not enough to matter for the price; Tamron's 45/1.8 VC might be interesting though, as those lenses are sharper and stabilized, and you won't be worried about the slower focus they exhibit when shooting at or near infinity.

(this is assuming you actually need the light from the faster lens, which really sounds like a niche case- I'd certainly recommend a 16-35/4L or 24-70/4L or stabilized Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC first...)

I was thinking of the Milus 50mm actually. Or perhaps the Sigma. But the Tamron looks interesting too given its VR

Apr 23, 2017 at 09:25 PM
mogud
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Gimbal for stills

xoda wrote:
I was thinking of the Milus 50mm actually. Or perhaps the Sigma. But the Tamron looks interesting too given its VR

Forget the Milvus unless your comfortable with manual focus.

Apr 24, 2017 at 03:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

xoda
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Gimbal for stills

mogud wrote:
Forget the Milvus unless your comfortable with manual focus.

I do manual focus most of the time already. Is there anything on a helicopter that'd make manual focus substantially more difficult? Just keep it at infinity right? Even for 1.4....

Apr 24, 2017 at 04:13 PM
mogud
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Gimbal for stills

xoda wrote:
I do manual focus most of the time already. Is there anything on a helicopter that'd make manual focus substantially more difficult? Just keep it at infinity right? Even for 1.4....

As I mentioned, if you are comfortable with MF, go for it. I would check the hard-stop infinity on which ever Milvus you decide just to be certain the hard stop is actually infinity.

Good luck with your hellicopter ride.

Apr 24, 2017 at 08:12 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Gimbal for stills

As others have said, don't get the "just" the 16-35. You will be far away and will be hard to frame super interesting shots. Not to mention it will be hard to exclude parts of the aircraft too!

24-70 or 24-105 will get you more interesting shots, I would bring a 70-200 with me if a lens change is not out of the question.

Many photographers that do lots of aerial work and have no room for lens changes, often opt for the 28-300L - if that means anything to you.

Apr 25, 2017 at 06:13 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password