Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

How do you prefer to light out door portraits?
Always find a way to make natural light
reflectors and difussers to work the existing light
Speedlights and umbrella / softbox
Monolights / strobes with light modifer

How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

evertdoorn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

mix of natural light and OCF with speedlights. Usually bare speedlight, or maybe a small modifier.

Apr 22, 2017 at 02:52 PM
Jefzor

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

Available light only for posed shoots. I'll even admit it's because I'm a noob. I want to keep my focus on interacting with the couple instead of fiddling with my equipment.

As long as I can move myself and the couple around, there are plenty of good lighting situations to be found anywhere and in any weather. (Although skin tones can take some extra work in post)

Apr 24, 2017 at 08:15 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

First I try to find an area where there is shade. If this is not available then I will have my assistant hold a collapsible 2x4 foot scrim to block the sun on the faces and make my own shade. You can buy them in various sizes and with 1 or 2 stops of diffusion. I have a range of sizes as the wind can be a problem with the larger ones.

With engagement shoots I start with the couple 2 hours before sunset. The first hour can be awkward as the couple are not used to posing. The second hour they are more relaxed and more comfortable in front of the camera and this is also when the lighting is "golden".

I use fill flash nearly always to fill the eye sockets and provide catchlights. For outdoor lighting the Quantum Qflash in bare bulb mode or with a mini side reflector is magical.

With groups and bright sun which is a worst case scenario I will have them situated so the light comes from behind at a 45 degree angle to get partial wrapping around of the light and no squinting and still use off-camera flash for fill.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Trunkmonkee

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

I prefer to use reflectors for my fill / catchlight, because it's so easy to move around the locations. But I also like to jump in and out and hit several locations with the clients. I'll also bring along the profoto monos for certain shots (beach, sunset, rain/snow, adding effects, etc).

May 13, 2017 at 11:03 PM
KSgal

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

All of the above.
Whatever works for the situation. Wanting to get an AD300 or or AD600 so I can overpower ambient when I want.

Did a shoot a couple months ago with the wind at 20mph with gusts to 40mph.

I went with bare flash on that one. Only option.

May 16, 2017 at 07:36 PM
dorota.long

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

I usually work on my own so I only use Natural light, expose for the faces

May 17, 2017 at 03:14 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password