Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

How do you prefer to light out door portraits?
Always find a way to make natural light
reflectors and difussers to work the existing light
Speedlights and umbrella / softbox
Monolights / strobes with light modifer

How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

ahaug
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

I was just curious as to how people prefer to light out door portraits when the existing light is not ideal. In situations like harsh direct sun or lower light and flat light, what is your go to way to light for out door portraits.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:33 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

I will use natural light / shade almost exclusively unless I am going for a certain effect like say direct sun / front light or I want to isolate my subject using a flash etc.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:57 AM
ZachOly
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

Natty light almost exclusively.

Maybe a reflector for a few grip and grin portraits of the B&G, but never off camera flash outside.

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:04 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

What time of day?

Depending on the weather and location....
everything from natural light to light fill to full on creative light (OCF) + ambient.

so all of the above....
What is the difference between the last 2? Either you light OCF or not?

so a no vote....

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:30 AM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

Ziffl3 wrote:
What time of day?

Depending on the weather and location....
everything from natural light to light fill to full on creative light (OCF) + ambient.

so all of the above....
What is the difference between the last 2? Either you light OCF or not?

so a no vote....

The difference between the last two is the quantity and quality of light that you prefer to use as a rule for outdoor portraits. Monolights with a modifier gives you options to shoot more effectively in harsher light. If someone favors that set up, it would influence their shooting style.

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:58 AM
bipock
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

If the situation is right, I'll use natural light for a rim lit look. Family formals outside natural light. But, if I think flash compliments or enhances the image, I will not hesitate to use it in any situation.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:29 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

It depends, all those situations are different. Wind is also a factor in my choice.

I try a go as minimal as I can so usually ad360 in a quick setup soft box or a brolly. If it's windy or I have more time battery strobe and a beauty dish. If it is backlit sun I often use bare bulb in close to match the feel, I'll also use direct sun which most others seem to run from.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:47 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

ahaug wrote:
The difference between the last two is the quantity and quality of light that you prefer to use as a rule for outdoor portraits. Monolights with a modifier gives you options to shoot more effectively in harsher light. If someone favors that set up, it would influence their shooting style.

understand.... but many shooters will stack multiple speedlights together instead of using monolights....
Just saying.

Apr 19, 2017 at 01:41 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

If I have an assistant with me.... Profoto B1. Love em.

Apr 19, 2017 at 02:20 PM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

Ziffl3 wrote:
understand.... but many shooters will stack multiple speedlights together instead of using monolights....
Just saying.

Actually, that is what I do as well. I use three flashes into an umbrella. Still, its a lot less power than most monolight systems and it does limit me sometimes when I want to overpower the sun and there is simply not enough juice. So, monolight / strobe shooters do have more options including the amount of diffusion that they can use. I do get what you are saying but I do think that there is a difference between speedlites and strobes in outdoor portraiture so that is why I made a different category. One for speedlite folks and one for strobe folks

Apr 19, 2017 at 03:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

Lots of variables, especially number of subjects in the portrait. I go for shade or available light most of the time for simplicity. Some times in the summer when the shade is in green grass and green trees, some flash is crucial to unfuckupify skin tones. It also depends how far I'll be trekking and how much crap I want to carry.

Apr 19, 2017 at 06:20 PM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

some flash is crucial to unfuckupify skin tones. It also depends how far I'll be trekking and how much crap I want to carry.

Hilarious

Apr 19, 2017 at 07:15 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

Mark_L wrote:
It depends, all those situations are different. Wind is also a factor in my choice.

Legend has it the Zen master was so adroit and nuanced at his craft, he noticed and made adjustments for the wind blowing the light.

Damn. Mark is good.

BSPhotog wrote:
** unfuckupify **

N i c e

Apr 19, 2017 at 07:55 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

Natural, led at sunset.

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:03 PM
azmerm

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

I'm always worried about raccoon eyes. If a reflector can't take care of it, I'll use off camera Quantums.

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:50 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

For 95% of my outdoor portraits, I will find some open shade and then add some off camera fill light. Example below.

Even in sunlight, I'll still try to find a shady spot and add light.

I even added a touch of fill to this shot, which was in open shade and shooting thru a bush.

But the other 5% gets the natural light only

Apr 20, 2017 at 01:18 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

I voted always natty; but when an awesome option presents itself, I'm not opposed to quickly grabbing a speed light for main (usually in the shade) or balancing shadows better.

Apr 20, 2017 at 04:49 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

I'd shoot with off-camera flash outside more often, but it's just too windy here.

We get consistent 50km/h+ (30mp/h) winds. I've tried with an assistant, but having them struggle to keep the modifier from blowing away was always too distracting.

Apr 20, 2017 at 05:34 PM
MrGubrz

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

whatever works for the situation! i usually shoot both natural and then flash just for some different looks. unless we have like NO time, then its usually natural only... mainly cause i dont wanna worry about rushing around with gear

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:50 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How do you prefer to light out door portraits?

A mix of natural light and speedlight with softbox but now pulled the trigger on an AD600. Always wanted a B1 but couldn't justify spendiong $3000, now I don't have to.

Apr 22, 2017 at 02:31 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password