Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

Sports portrait: Sprinter
  
 
friscoron
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


Congratulations to friscoron for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 16 votes - View Previous Winners


I've always wanted to shoot sports portraits and somehow I just don't have the opportunities. Then suddenly, I got to do this one this week, and tomorrow I'm photographing a basketball player in what should be a really fun shot.

Edit to add: Shot with a 24-70 at 24mm. 1/4000, f/4 and ISO 160. 5 Yongnuo speedlights. Two paired up in front of her and slightly to her right, two paired up behind her and slightly to her right (both pairs in the lane next to hers). They were all firing at 1/2 power, I believe, maybe full power. Then the fifth was camera right shooting through an umbrella.

I wanted the lighting to rim her, both front and back, and then needed the one light next to me to fill the shadows. It all worked out pretty well for me. The hardest thing was getting the timing of her arms right.

Probably should mention the post-processing. I have a HDR preset that I created for myself in Lightroom, and used that, then really kicked up the contrast. Did more of the same in PS. The HDR is not something I normally use in my people portraits, but it works amazing well for athletes.

Comments always welcome.







Edited on Apr 19, 2017 at 03:06 AM · View previous versions



Apr 19, 2017 at 12:05 AM
dmacmillan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


Nice! You need to market the heck out of this kind of work. I think the Seniors would eat it up!


Apr 19, 2017 at 12:31 AM
iRandyP
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


That is really cool! Great work!


Apr 19, 2017 at 12:36 AM
Vcook
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


This is just tremendous, really great stuff. featured thread vote, love this.



The only feedback I have is that I wish the blue garbage can wasn't in the shot as it draws the eye a little, would have been a pain to drag it out of the shot though. I'd be curious to see what this would look like cropped to 16x9, not great for printing but would look great on screen.



Apr 19, 2017 at 01:39 AM
huskers070
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


Excellent photo. Would you share what lighting setup that you used? Thank you.


Apr 19, 2017 at 01:53 AM
DougVaughn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


I like the sky and almost surreal look of the image. She almost lifts out of the frame. I agree the kids would probably love this style.


Apr 19, 2017 at 02:30 AM
friscoron
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


dmacmillan wrote:
Nice! You need to market the heck out of this kind of work. I think the Seniors would eat it up!


Thanks, Doug! That's my hope. A shot like this should be a part of every senior session with an athlete. As you know, not everyone is committed to getting a great shot. She had meet me at the track at 8 am on a day off from school.



Apr 19, 2017 at 03:08 AM
friscoron
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


iRandyP wrote:
That is really cool! Great work!


Thanks, Randy!



Apr 19, 2017 at 03:08 AM
friscoron
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


Vcook wrote:
This is just tremendous, really great stuff. featured thread vote, love this.

The only feedback I have is that I wish the blue garbage can wasn't in the shot as it draws the eye a little, would have been a pain to drag it out of the shot though. I'd be curious to see what this would look like cropped to 16x9, not great for printing but would look great on screen.


Thanks, Vernon. I really thought about that trash can. Went back and forth, finally decided to leave it in. Now... still thinking about it... will probably take it out.



Apr 19, 2017 at 03:09 AM
friscoron
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


huskers070 wrote:
Excellent photo. Would you share what lighting setup that you used? Thank you.


Thanks! I added the info in the OP.



Apr 19, 2017 at 03:10 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 


friscoron
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


DougVaughn wrote:
I like the sky and almost surreal look of the image. She almost lifts out of the frame. I agree the kids would probably love this style.


Thanks, Doug! I was going for a bit of a surreal look.



Apr 19, 2017 at 03:10 AM
Vcook
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


friscoron wrote:
Thanks, Vernon.


Is this like a movie thing or something, or a mixup? My name is Chris



thanks for adding the lighting info, helpful!






Apr 19, 2017 at 03:31 AM
gschlact
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


I like the trash can in the shot. The athlete is alone in an empty stadium, so the mood comes off as dedication / solitary training. The clean single trash can adds to this theme imho.


Apr 19, 2017 at 03:38 AM
GoodEgg
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


Ron, this is fabulous. You've ratcheted up another level. But do take out the trash. The presence of the can is distracting enough but the tilt draws my eye.


Apr 19, 2017 at 04:28 AM
FR_Expat
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


That really looks good, lovely colors, congrats!


Apr 19, 2017 at 05:58 AM
bbourizk
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


Smashed it Ron.



Apr 19, 2017 at 07:48 AM
trashschollie
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


Like the mood in the stadium, like the surface on the Ground.
Don't like the light in her face, and the trash can.
the girl looks artificial.
Like it in b/w ;-)



Apr 19, 2017 at 08:28 AM
friscoron
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


Vcook wrote:
Is this like a movie thing or something, or a mixup? My name is Chris

thanks for adding the lighting info, helpful!



Ugh. Sorry. Chris.



Apr 19, 2017 at 02:01 PM
friscoron
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


gschlact wrote:
I like the trash can in the shot. The athlete is alone in an empty stadium, so the mood comes off as dedication / solitary training. The clean single trash can adds to this theme imho.


Thanks, Guy. I appreciate the feedback. Still pondering it.



Apr 19, 2017 at 02:06 PM
friscoron
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sports portrait: Sprinter


GoodEgg wrote:
Ron, this is fabulous. You've ratcheted up another level. But do take out the trash. The presence of the can is distracting enough but the tilt draws my eye.


Thanks! Lots of angles here going different directions.



Apr 19, 2017 at 02:07 PM
1
       2       3       end






FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password