New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Shutter speed, round up or down?

hulk2006
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shutter speed, round up or down?

So I just bought a Fuji GW690iii camera which doesn't have a light meter. I bought a Sekonic light meter. As you can see from this photo the camera only has certain shutter speeds to choose from:

Say the light meter says to use F4 and shutter speed "320", am I supposed to round up to 500 or round down to 250? What's the general rule? I'm new to light meters.

Apr 18, 2017 at 04:08 PM
cambyses
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shutter speed, round up or down?

hulk2006 wrote:
So I just bought a Fuji GW690iii camera which doesn't have a light meter. I bought a Sekonic light meter. As you can see from this photo the camera only has certain shutter speeds to choose from:

https://burntembers.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/img_4182-2-e1447718422876.jpg

Say the light meter says to use F4 and shutter speed "320", am I supposed to round up to 500 or round down to 250? What's the general rule? I'm new to light meters.

Are we talking ambient light or flash light here? If it is the latter, the shutter speed shouldn't matter as long as you are staying below your flash sync speed (which as I understand is 1/500s for your camera), and your light is dominated by flash. You can also see that on your Sekonic light meter when you change your shutter speed on the light meter and you will see your measured aperture setting will remain at f4.

If it is the ambient light you are measuring, and you are limited by the resolution of your shutter speed setting, then I guess there is really nothing you can do, except to just decide whether you would want your image to be slightly darker (underexposed) or brighter (overexposed), and round your shutter speed up or down respectively.

Apr 18, 2017 at 05:22 PM
hulk2006
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shutter speed, round up or down?

Thanks for the explanation. Suppose the light meter reads shutter speed 320, if I choose 500 than it will be overexposed and if I chose 250 it will be underexposed, is that correct? Or is it the opposite?

Apr 18, 2017 at 08:50 PM
cambyses
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shutter speed, round up or down?

hulk2006 wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. Suppose the light meter reads shutter speed 320, if I choose 500 than it will be overexposed and if I chose 250 it will be underexposed, is that correct? Or is it the opposite?

Again, if you are measuring flash output with your light meter, and if your dominant light comes from the flash, changing the shutter speed will have no impact on the exposure, since your exposure will actually be dictated by the power of your flash burst (along with your film ISO and your Aperture).

But if you are using your light meter to measure the ambient light, then, yes, it is the opposite of what you mentioned, i.e., shutter speed set to 500 will actually be 1/500 sec, i.e. faster than 1/250sec. So setting to 500 will underexpose your image and setting to 250 will overexpose.

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ross attix
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shutter speed, round up or down?

1/320 is only about 1/3 of a stop less than 1/250, so considering the age of that shutter, there is probably that much play in it's accuracy. If you are shooting negative film, you would need a densitometer to see that slight variation.

The other way to go is to set the aperture between stops and leave the shutter alone. The aperture settings are clicked stopped at full and half stops on that camera.

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:27 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shutter speed, round up or down?

I'm assuming you'll be shooting film, if so, a 1/3 of a stop would be no problem and it's better to overexpose than underexpose. Slide film-positives would need more of a precise exposure, but is still reasonably forgiving. For slide/positives it's typically better to underexpose if anything. You might be able to hold your lens in between "full" stops (apertures) also to get it closer to what the meter is giving you for an accurate exposure. Both your time value and aperture settings are in full stops on this camera.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:35 AM
ross attix
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shutter speed, round up or down?

Aperture settings are marked in full stops, but are click stopped at full and half stops on this Fuji.

JohnBrose wrote:
Both your time value and aperture settings are in full stops on this camera.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:37 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password