New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Help with Windows PIA unwanted file copy produced

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with Windows PIA unwanted file copy produced

Sometime if I am trying to mark a file in its folder to perhaps move or copy all of a sudden a copy is made as well when all I did was have the CTRL or SHIFT key depressed too long. I didn't want a copy made and it is really a PIA when I have a bunch of files highlighted and next thing I know the puter is making a copy of every one of them.....I then have to go back and delete each file.....what steps do I need to make to get windows to stop this?

Apr 17, 2017 at 04:42 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with Windows PIA unwanted file copy produced

Could it be that you have accidentally dragged the selection a little bit by moving the mouse a little and dropping it, effectively at the same location ? Perhaps your mouse button is not giving you adequate tactile feedback.

If you ever recognise that something like that is happening, keep the mouse button pressed but also press the ESC key.

While the display is showing files in list format, only a short drag is required to copy the files, but if you use thumbnail mode then a bigger drag would be needed to give the same effect and that makes it less likely to be done accidentally.

Apr 18, 2017 at 01:39 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with Windows PIA unwanted file copy produced

I do this every once in a while with the CTRL long press as I select multiple files. Every once in a while I drag to mouse accidentally a tiny bit and oops! copies of everything.
You can just sort them by modified date, confirm what is a duplicate, and delete them.
There is an option in windows where you can reveal a check box next to every icon and file. Click on each check box, then perform your action. I think this allows you to select everything individually with less chance of accidental copying. I found the check box a little annoying and turned it off eventually.

Apr 19, 2017 at 07:58 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.