Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2017 · Next camera: 1Dx / 5D mark IV | Decision made!

sungphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Next camera: 1Dx / 5D mark IV | Decision made!

TeamSpeed wrote:
There should be no discernible lag at 120fps refresh. And my comment was that the EVF contains something pretty close to a 1080P monitor shrunken down to an LCD display that is perhaps .5" in physical dimensions with an eyepiece multiplier that might be .7x.

If a 1080P monitor has been good enough for years for laptops, tablets, etc. at normal viewing distances, then looking at something like that shrunken down through an eyepiece that might emulate the monitor being at some reasonable viewing distance, the resolution should be good.

There are so very few mirrorless that have that kind of EVF
...Show more

I'm sure no one wants to make this a mirrorless debate, but just wanted to point out that EVF lag is affected by more than just hertz/refresh rate. There is still discernible lag in even top end cameras like the A9, albeit much improved over older cameras. Upping the resolution makes the lag that much worse.

Granted most enthusiasts will find the amount of lag in the A9 acceptable for all but the most demanding action shooting, but there's still advantages to OVFs that can't be replicated by an EVF.

Sep 28, 2017 at 01:44 AM
Fabian Henries

p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Next camera: 1Dx / 5D mark IV | Decision made!

Fabian Henries wrote:
Will look out for a mint used 1Dx then.
Thanks again.

Hi everybody,
I apologise for being indecisive but I'm having second thoughts on the 1Dx. Yes it can take a drizzle or two, yes it will do great for sports stuff. But I suddenly remembered arbitrage's post on the shutter:

arbitrage wrote:
[///] I'm not sure how tolerable the 1DX2 would be in a wedding. Maybe at the silent setting it would be acceptable but I don't think on normal setting it would. But 1DX is even worse and only has a single shot silent mode. 5D4 is better than both 1DX models.

As I stated earlier I do some events work and I like working with two bodies simultaneously. More than a few of those jobs take place in near silent environments, like theater, weddings and conventions. I think all this together it's about 30% - 40% of what I shoot.

Regarding sports stuff, I re-read TeamSpeed's post too:
TeamSpeed wrote:
More resolution, full touchscreen, and 1/2 the cost with the 5d4, enough to upgrade to the next gen lenses.
There is little to wish for on the latest cameras in regard to build and sealing, the mid to high level bodies are at the levels of the older 1d series these days, and in some cases better sealed. Shutter life is great as well...

and I've dug op some of your posts and your images look fantastic. Probably I will be the limiting factor, not the camera.

So to cut a long story short: I am wondering whether the 5D4 may be a better bet than a 1Dx. I do love to shoot sports but I'm not an Olympic games photographer.

As far as I can see the 5D4 vs 1Dx features list:

1Dx strong points:
- AF with super tele's (don't own those)
- Durability
- Weather proof
- 12 fps

5D4 strong points:
- AF also very good as most say
- f/8 61 points with my 100-400mkII + 1.4xiii
- anti flicker
- same batteries as 5DsR
- silent shutter
- same controls as 5DsR
- better built than say 5D classic (my previous reference to the non-1D series FF bodies)

There is just this one thing: I have a strong 1D series preference because my old 1DsmkII has served me so well for so many years. it just seems to me that a 1Dx is so much more durable than a non-1D series. But I feel that regarding functionality the 5D4 would satisfy most of my needs better than a 1Dx. All that I would need to be careful with is shoot in drizzles. Or would I? Additionally I would have two almost identical bodies: 5DsR and 5D4.

Canon has a good cashback deal on 5D4 bodies at the moment: 500 off upon trading in an old slr. That would leave only 3629.

If someone could just enlighten me on the durability of the 5D4? I really do want to make a good decision here.

Thank you.

Oct 23, 2017 at 04:24 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Next camera: 1Dx / 5D mark IV | Decision made!

Hi everybody,
I apologise for being indecisive but I'm having second thoughts on the 1Dx. Yes it can take a drizzle or two, yes it will do great for sports stuff. But I suddenly remembered arbitrage's post on the shutter:

So to cut a long story short: I am wondering whether the 5D4 may be a better bet than a 1Dx. I do love to shoot sports but I'm not an Olympic games photographer.

As far as I can see the 5D4 vs 1Dx features list:

1Dx strong points:
- AF with super tele's (don't own those)
- Durability
- Weather proof
- 12 fps

5D4 strong points:
- AF
...Show more

Couple of things:

5D4 works wonderfully with superteles. It might not be quite as good in better light, but it will be better with lower contrast and lower light. Also it will do better with f/8 combos, since you can use all 61 points and 21 of those are still x-type at f/8, compared to only single point and 4 assist points on 1DX.

Yes 1DX is built like a tank and will take a pounding, but 5D4 is hardly a poorly built camera, with full magnesium chassis and decent weather and dust sealing, although of course not as good. I don't abuse my cameras and I've never had a 5 series fail me. For me the rated 150K shutter life is plenty as I don't take more than 10-12K pictures a year and I won't be keeping it more than 4-5 years max.

I love both these cameras but for what I do, mostly birding and landscape, the extra 12MP trumps the extra 5fps 9 times out of 10. The shutter in S mode is much much quieter and I've scared birds off with the 1DX shutter and I wouldn't dare use it in quiet interiors. DPAF is a game changer and I couldn't go back now. I thought about 1DXII, but not enough of an upgrade for the cost. Maybe when I can get hand 1DXII with low shutter actuations for around $3K I will consider.

Oct 23, 2017 at 05:24 PM
Fabian Henries

p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Next camera: 1Dx / 5D mark IV | Decision made!

Thank you perfect pixel,

Thank you so much for your comments. Just wondering, do you own the 5D4? Your profile says 5D3, 1D4 and 1Dx.

I shoot about 20000 images max a year, split over two bodies that is 10-15 years before going to 150k. So the shutter life should not be much of an issue. Reliability is more important to me, I want my gear to just work and not have hassles.

While reviewing my own write-up I found that fps and weather sealing are the key features I like about the 1Dx. Now assuming 7 fps is enough for the sports I do (I suppose it is) only the water resistance is left to wish for. I did a search on rain sleeves and came up with a cheapo OP/Tech €10,00 rain sleeve for emergencies. It's not like I'm running the streets as a press photog weekly in downpour. It's just for the occasional shower along a sports field so I suppose such a rain cover will do.

All in all I am now leaning towards the 5d4. Most important factors are silent shutter, similar controls w/ 5DsR combo and anti flicker.

I guess the durability / reliability of the contemporary 5D series will be good enough for me.

Oct 24, 2017 at 06:22 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Next camera: 1Dx / 5D mark IV | Decision made!

Max_Pain wrote:
Instructions not clear. Bought a Porsche and left my wife for an exotic dancer. It was expensive, but so far seems worth it.

Still have the Porsche and that is all my wife needs to know

Since purchasing the 1DIII and 1DsIII I have been reluctant to purchase a consumer body and I am hoping Canon releases a pro body to compete with the D850. I tried the 5DIII, 6D and 7D through CPS and the battery life was a major issue. The black focus points and the lack of linked exposure metering have always been a disappointment.

Oct 24, 2017 at 06:48 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Next camera: 1Dx / 5D mark IV | Decision made!

Fabian Henries wrote:
Thank you perfect pixel,

Thank you so much for your comments. Just wondering, do you own the 5D4? Your profile says 5D3, 1D4 and 1Dx.

I shoot about 20000 images max a year, split over two bodies that is 10-15 years before going to 150k. So the shutter life should not be much of an issue. Reliability is more important to me, I want my gear to just work and not have hassles.

While reviewing my own write-up I found that fps and weather sealing are the key features I like about the 1Dx. Now assuming 7 fps is enough for
...Show more

Oops haven’t updated my profile. Sold the 5D3 a year ago. Yes 5D4 is noticeably better camera in most areas than 5D3. The low ISO DR improvement has made a huge difference. I’m shooting at ISO 100 as much as possible when it’s very contrasty light. The shots you can rescue without introducing any or little shadow noise compared to 5D3 is amazing now. Would love to see this sort of DR at ISO 400.

You can get by with 7fps, but there are occasions when the action is fast the 12fps of the 1DX are a huge bonus in getting just the right moment.

Yeah a rain cover is a good idea. I even use one on 1DX, I’m not game to get it drenched, but will use it for a bit longer and in a bit heavier rain than I would 5D4.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:52 AM
Fabian Henries

p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Next camera: 1Dx / 5D mark IV | Decision made!

OK guys I went for it and got a 5D4. Thanks all for your time and input

Nov 20, 2017 at 03:43 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.