FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Fabian Henries

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Thank you, that is very helpful. As for your comments:
Won't really need CFast I suppose. Purchase price is steep, agreed.
1Dx mark II pros list are helpful too. Fits right into how I feel about what a camera should preform. I think this is the final push I need.

You seem to have experience with the original 1Dx. How would say shutter sound compares between 1Dx and the 1Dx mark II? Would you pick the one over the other for say a wedding?

Apr 26, 2017 at 04:18 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Fabian Henries wrote:
You seem to have experience with the original 1Dx. How would say shutter sound compares between 1Dx and the 1Dx mark II? Would you pick the one over the other for say a wedding?

1DXII by far. It has a crisper, more staccato shutter noise that subjectively sounds quieter, and is really pleasing to my ears. 1DXII also has better silent and silent burst modes.

Edited on Apr 26, 2017 at 09:01 PM · View previous versions

Apr 26, 2017 at 05:02 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Greg Schneider wrote:
1DXII by far. It has a crisper, more staccato shutter noise that objectively sounds quieter, and is really pleasing to my ears. 1DXII also has better silent and silent burst modes.

Yeah, the first thought I had when I handled a 1DX Mark II for the first time was that it sounded so much quieter and more composed than my 1D Mark IVs. I'm not sure the difference in absolute decibels is huge, but the quality of the sound is nicer and less distracting.

Apr 26, 2017 at 05:48 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Fabian Henries wrote:
Thank you, that is very helpful. As for your comments:
Won't really need CFast I suppose. Purchase price is steep, agreed.
1Dx mark II pros list are helpful too. Fits right into how I feel about what a camera should preform. I think this is the final push I need.

As the above guys mentioned, the first time I was on my kayak with 1DX2 the new shutter sound impressed me a lot compared to the week before with the 1DX. Now with having 5FPS continuous silent (no where near silent but very nice) it helps a lot to not scare birds. But even with the improvements, I'm not sure how tolerable the 1DX2 would be in a wedding. Maybe at the silent setting it would be acceptable but I don't think on normal setting it would. But 1DX is even worse and only has a single shot silent mode. 5D4 is better than both 1DX models.

I currently own and shoot 1DX, 1DX2, 5D4 and D500. 1DX is really just a backup these days and I was thinking of keeping it till the 1DX3 comes out but it is getting so little use I may sell it soon while used prices are still okay.

Apr 26, 2017 at 06:00 PM
Fabian Henries

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Ok thank you arbritrage. All questions answered. Next step will be to rent a 1Dx mark II for a weekend.

Apr 27, 2017 at 01:25 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Fabian Henries wrote:
Ok thank you arbritrage. All questions answered. Next step will be to rent a 1Dx mark II for a weekend.

That is a good plan because no matter what any of us say it will really come down to how you value the camera's features over other less expensive options.

Apr 27, 2017 at 01:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fabian Henries

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Meanwhile I have rented a Canon 1Dx mark II and a Canon 5D mark IV. The 5D can do everything my old 1Ds mark II can and more. But working with the 1Dx mark II feels so much more at home. For me renting both cameras was very clarifying.

I will order a 1Dx mark II.

Thank you all for your time and kind comments.

Fabian

May 11, 2017 at 11:52 AM
ggreene
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

I've only done two weddings (as favors, not paid work) with my 1DX and I would not do it again if all I had was just 1D series bodies. They simply make too much noise. You really need a very quiet camera for a lot of the things you shoot in a wedding. I could tell at several points that it was irritating to some of the guests and I backed off.

I'm using a 1DX/1DX2 combo now and I don't see much difference in the shutter sound they make. If I had to pick I would actually say the 1DX2 is slightly louder.

May 11, 2017 at 03:23 PM
Ming-Tzu
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Currently own the 5d3, 5d4, 1dx, and 1dx2. As @ggreene mentioned, the 5d series is the go-to wedding camera. The 1d series is too loud.

In terms of noise (from loudest to quietest).....1dx ---> 1dx2 ---> 5d series

I've only shot 1-2 weddings but the 1dx2 would not be suitable for a wedding. It would be very embarrassing if I was shooting with the 1d cameras during the quiet times of the wedding (e.g. vows, etc.)

May 11, 2017 at 03:34 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I agonised over this but eventually went 5D4. More than happy and I'm now considering to sell my much loved 1DX. I do birding a lot, and the extra res is a huge bonus for me and the AF of the 5D4 is at least as good and even better in some cases (eg supertele + TC, lowlight, low contrast). Maybe in a year or so when 1DXII are on the second hand market I might pick up one at a huge discount over new prices, or then again maybe Canon will surprise us with a truly great replacement
...Show more

After buying a 5D4 I went ahead and sold my much beloved 1DX. Getting a 2nd 5D4

May 15, 2017 at 04:39 AM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

I used to buy a camera every 2 years or so, but I bought the 5DIII and suddenly had the feeling the camera is consistently surpassing or ideally matching my skills.

5 years with me and I do not feel the slightest wish to upgrade anything but lens.

May 16, 2017 at 04:21 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

CFast doesn't have to be too expensive. I only do short videos of folklore
performances on cruises and tours. So got a 32gb Lexar Cfast card for
$130. The card will hold about 1500 1Dxii photos and provide a second
memory as a backup.

May 21, 2017 at 08:51 PM
1       2       3      
       end