New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Fabian Henries

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Hello forum,

I am deciding on a new Canon body. This is my first gear related post, I am pretty new here. Have been a Canon guy for a very long time. Biggest reason is I like the lenses. I currently have a alpha7RII and a 1Ds mark II. The 1Dx is old tech - yes - but it still works and creates great portraits and various other things. The Sony takes care of interiors and architecture stuff.

Update: I just swapped the Sony for a 5Ds, as explained below.

What I miss is a camera that will enable me to do whatever I want to explore next in photography. My interest is going all over the place. Wildlife, sports (gyms and cycling lights too), events, studio, macro, commercial (I make some money with photography on the side, but I am definitely an amateur), some video, who knows. I am prepared to spend some decent cash and I look for some advice here. You see I have not bothered with latest tech for many years because I was so happy with my 1Ds mark II.
In fact, I believe in the robustness and durability of the 1D series as this body is still running strong after 13 years.

I want to buy a new/current camera so I can forget about my gear and focus on photography for the next decade.

Basically my strong preference is the current 1D series, the 1Dx mark II, for the reasons listed. Durability, versatility, reliability. I want a camera that can grow with me to any changing photo interests I may have or develop. I want it to last very long and to perform. Period. I have the cash, no issues. However, after roaming around this forum for a few weeks, the 5D mark IV keeps popping up in topics and there are very good stories about it.

So my main question here today is “what will I miss out if I get the 1Dx mark II and not the 5D mark IV”? What kind of subjects would you prefer to go 5D mark IV instead of 1Dx mark II?

Fabian

Edited on Apr 18, 2017 at 10:54 AM · View previous versions

Apr 17, 2017 at 08:41 PM
ahmedumair
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Video wise: 4K 60 frames per second on 1DX mark II.

Futureproof wise go with 1DX as it utilizes CF fast 2.0 cards and 60 FPS for 4K.

Stills wise: more raw images per burst shoot. probably a plenty of other advantages i'm sure our other FM users will chime in for.

Apr 17, 2017 at 08:57 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

ahmedumair wrote:
Video wise: 4K 60 frames per second on 1DX mark II.

Futureproof wise go with 1DX as it utilizes CF fast 2.0 cards and 60 FPS for 4K.

Stills wise: more raw images per burst shoot. probably a plenty of other advantages i'm sure our other FM users will chime in for.

Typo?? Only the 1Dx MkII uses the CFast 2.0 cards.

Apr 17, 2017 at 09:20 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

More resolution, full touchscreen, and 1/2 the cost with the 5d4, enough to upgrade to the next gen lenses.

There is little to wish for on the latest cameras in regard to build and sealing, the mid to high level bodies are at the levels of the older 1d series these days, and in some cases better sealed. Shutter life is great as well...

Although since you have the cash and plan on keeping it for a decade, the 1dx2 is probably the best answer, assuming the other 2 factors mentioned aren't issues at all.

Apr 17, 2017 at 09:24 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

I just faced the same thing and went with the 1DXII. Coming from a 1DIII and a 5D2. I couldn't remember the last time I ran out of pixels with the 5DII, so the 20MP didn't really scare me off. I played with a the 5DIV and it is a great camera- an all around performer. 7FPS is faster than a most film cameras for sports ever got to. All those MPs do let you crop more. The rational answer, especially when you look at price, is the 5DIV.

That said, the 1DXII is total overkill- but the key word being 'kill'. It just slays. Built like a tank, but oddly it felt less bulky to me than a 5DIV. 14fps finally got me those in-between shots that I was missing with the 1DIII. Plus, since it can do 14fps, I swear that there is no mirror black out at higher shutter speeds. It's like the screen dims and the picture is taken. No shutter lag, instant return to subject. The AF is awesome, so much more intuitive and controllable than my 1DIII.

Given that you have the A7RII for MPs and when you want to take it big, the 1DXII seems like a better camera to augment it.

Yes, if finances are the least bit an issue, or there is a gapping lens hole- do the 5DIV. It is the rational choice.

The 1DXII for most people is irrational, but so is buying a Porsche or dating exotic dancers- expensive and worth it. The 1DXII brings a smile to my face every time I shoot it.

ETA: I buy cameras about once a decade so I started to rationlize it based on the monthly delta. Plus camera tech is changing more slowly, and it is a 4K machine for being future proof for awhile.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:46 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

anselwannab wrote:
The 1DXII for most people is irrational, but so is buying a Porsche or dating exotic dancers- expensive and worth it.

Instructions not clear. Bought a Porsche and left my wife for an exotic dancer. It was expensive, but so far seems worth it.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:33 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

I agonised over this but eventually went 5D4. More than happy and I'm now considering to sell my much loved 1DX. I do birding a lot, and the extra res is a huge bonus for me and the AF of the 5D4 is at least as good and even better in some cases (eg supertele + TC, lowlight, low contrast). Maybe in a year or so when 1DXII are on the second hand market I might pick up one at a huge discount over new prices, or then again maybe Canon will surprise us with a truly great replacement for the 7D2.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:37 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

I am with you, I would love a 1DX2 but it would have to come down in the used market to make it a feasible tool, the 5D4 and 7D2 for now do all the work I need.

Apr 18, 2017 at 01:24 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I agonised over this but eventually went 5D4. More than happy and I'm now considering to sell my much loved 1DX. I do birding a lot, and the extra res is a huge bonus for me and the AF of the 5D4 is at least as good and even better in some cases (eg supertele + TC, lowlight, low contrast). Maybe in a year or so when 1DXII are on the second hand market I might pick up one at a huge discount over new prices, or then again maybe Canon will surprise us with a truly great replacement
...Show more

+1. I'm putting the 1Dx in the back of the closet.

EBH

Apr 18, 2017 at 01:47 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Max_Pain wrote:
Instructions not clear. Bought a Porsche and left my wife for an exotic dancer. It was expensive, but so far seems worth it.

did she ask when the new body would show up

-----------------------

go with the 5div - more mpx, good at everything. Weather sealing and extra weight vs more mpx and newest latest and greatest generalist camera.

Apr 18, 2017 at 02:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ahmedumair
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

yep good catch, I meant the 1Dx Mark II

Apr 18, 2017 at 03:09 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

ahmedumair wrote:

To some others, the higher resolution is the more relevant future proofing aspect than video (and still) frame rate or card format. I didn't see this clearly specified in the OP.

I have both (and the 5DSR). If I can take two cameras, I take the 5DSR and 1DX2. If I can take only one, the 5D4 goes. And when I travel to Colombia this summer, only the two 5D bodies will go, as a first since owning a 1D-class body since 2002.

Apr 18, 2017 at 04:12 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Arghhh... I hate this thread.

Been considering the same question as the OP, though I seem to buy cameras more often than once a decade.

So many smart opinions here; now I am even more conflicted about which to purchase.

Apr 18, 2017 at 05:08 AM
Fabian Henries

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Thank you for opinions.

This morning I traded my Sony alpha7RII for a Canon 5Ds. A friend of mine wanted more DR so we agreed to switch, I can go back if I’ll have second thoughts. I had a love/hate relationship with the Sony. Loved the sensor (a lot), hated the buttons/operation. So now the situation has become a bit different. I will probably take the 5Ds for travel and landscapes, studio work and such.

Getting a 1Dx mark II seems like the ideal combo to the 5Ds, but I am still in doubt.

@ temspeed:
The resolution is not an issue, but what about the touchscreen? I read TDP review, so I understand what it can do. But what kind of photos can you shoot with a touch screen that you couldn’t before?
The 5D mark IV may be well built etc but I also just like the operation of the 1D series. Think of it as a gut feeling.

@ ansel:
Your sentiments seem like mine

@ Pixel perfect:
I do like birds. I plan on getting a 100-400 markII lens as well. Would the 5Ds perform the same or better for small or distant birds as the 5D mark IV?

@ stanj:
If I would get a 1Dx mark II, if I would set out with just one camera, it would probably be the 1Dx mark II for local stuff and the 5Ds for travel. If you were in my shoes, and you had to choose 5D mark IV or 1Dx mark II, given I own the 5Ds, what would you do?

@ gary: Im sorry to make you feel bad… What are your own thoughts about these two bodies?

Thanks
Fabian

Apr 18, 2017 at 07:54 AM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Just went the exact same path: Sold my A7R2 (and the rest of my Sony stuff) and got a 1DX2 instead. Already owned the 5DSR, tested the 5D4 (before I got the 1DX2) and concluded the 5D4 was too similar to my 5DSR (that I was never going to let go), so I got the 1DX2 instead. The 1dX2 and 5DSR complement each other very well. No regrets, except that 20Mp feels very "thin" sometimes (when you need to crop a bit).

The two main advantages the 5D4 has over the 1DX2 (that I can think of and sometimes miss):

1) Better AF in Live View. You can even have AI Servo with face detection - very effective for video (the 1DX2 only has single-shot AF in LV).

2) Built-in Wi-fi. I got a Camranger for my 1DX2 as the Wi-fi unit is just ridiculously expensive (and the CR more versatile). But it is not as convenient, at all.

Almost everything else is better, and more snappy, with the 1DX2, as expected. The 85L is suddenly useable in AI servo now! My sensor had to be replaced on warranty though, after less than 10K shots due to excessive amounts of dust-spots (could not be removed with normal sensor cleaning). Never seen so much gunk on the sensor, after such a short time.

2)

Apr 18, 2017 at 08:07 AM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

goedemorgen Fabian

I have 5D IV's now and have experience with 1D X II and 5Ds. I would say the 5D IV is the best all rounder: good resolution, excellent iso performance (when downsized, same as 1DX II), great AF, complete touch screen functionality (unlike the 1DX II) which is great when used in combination with live view, gps/wifi built in, etc.

It's also better built than the 5D III. Still not maybe the same level as a 1D, but I had a 5D II on a two week expedition with me a long time ago in the Amazon under sometime very hard conditions and that went fine as well.

I like and use the touch screen much more than I expected. In particular when holding the camera above your head or low to ground level (damn you Canon for not including a tilt screen), it's very easy to set your focus point (much more than moving a thumb stick around) and get a shot. The tracking in live view is unbelievable; recently I did a portrait shot and at some point I shot a series of about 20 images at 1.4 on a 35mm. About 18 were tack sharp.

If you don't really require the 14fps of the 1DX II or don't plan to visit extreme places (for safari's, rainforests and stuff a 5D would be fine; I'm talking arctic expeditions and such) I would personally take the 5D IV any time. Since you already have that 5Ds, you could argue the 1DX is a good compliment because it differs more from the 5Ds compared to the 5D IV. But I do must say the speed in operation of a 5D IV is already a very big difference from a 5Ds; not only in maximum fps but also responsiveness and focus acquisition.

The 100-400 is a fantastic lens. Of course with a 5Ds you have more cropping options. It works well with extenders too; have a large print of cheetah's on the wall here that was shot with the extender and it looks fab. Get it.

This lens and in particular with a mk III extender does focus better on the mk IV (and 1DX II) though. In particular when you need to track stuff.

Edited on Apr 18, 2017 at 08:25 AM · View previous versions

Apr 18, 2017 at 08:14 AM
evertdoorn
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

What you could do, is go to a rental place like Budgetcam (which is the best rental company in our little place I think) and get both camera's for the weekend and give them a go. Rent them from Friday until Monday, and you only pay for one day.

Apr 18, 2017 at 08:22 AM
Mikehit

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

I am considering the same question. My current setup is the 7d2 with 6D (with micro four-thirds as lightweight travel cameras when I am away on business), and my main interests are wildlife, abstract and travel. I have rented both the 1Dx2 and the 5DIV to compare with the 7D2.

My default thinking is to go for the 5DIV because of the resolution and the size. Many of the wonderful wildlife pictures you see with the 1Dx2 are taken by excellent photographers who have the skill and fieldcraft to get close to not need much cropping, and/or they are using 500mm+ lenses with extenders and simply getting the subject in the viewfinder is a whole skill in itself. And if you are not shooting fast-moving animals and do not need (most of the time) the 14fps to get that 'critical moment' (the wing in just the right position, or the ball hitting the bat) then the %DIV will do just as well.

Also the size - how often will I take the 1Dx2 out 'just in case' whereas the 5DIV would replace my 6D.

The 7D2 is still a pretty mean camera with its 10 fps, and holds itself well up to about ISO 2000 provided I don't need to crop very much so the 5DIV and the 7D2 pair seems a good option for me. In good light the 7D2 (which has the same pixel pitch as the 5DSR) I would choose the 7D2 because of the resolution - but here in NW England I am rarely that lucky and in anything less than good light, as the ISO rises, the 5DIV quickly matches it (the old noise vs resolution thing).

But the 1Dx2 is mighty tempting because of the frame rate and the (from what I have seen) superior frame grabs from video. I am leaning to taking more sports shots (local rugby, soccer, cricket) and that may well be the decider for me once I have thought some more about it.

So the 5DIV edges the 1Dx2.
I think.....

As for lenses, the 100-400MkII is an awesome lens even with the 1.4tc and will be a great combo with any of your options.

Apr 18, 2017 at 08:53 AM
Stunnaz
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

I'm waiting on the upcoming Sony announcement (they have an announcement set on the 20th and the 23rd)... possibly the A7iii (or A7siii).

Apr 18, 2017 at 09:02 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · My next Canon camera: 1Dx mark II or 5D mark IV

Fabian Henries wrote:
@ Pixel perfect:
I do like birds. I plan on getting a 100-400 markII lens as well. Would the 5Ds perform the same or better for small or distant birds as the 5D mark IV?

Thanks
Fabian

The 5Ds works superbly with the 100-400L II and the AF in most cases is similar to 5D4's. 5D4 will work better if you add a 1.4x TC to the 100-400L II, but that only gets you an extra 20% more pixels or about 9% more res, so not a big increase when FL limited. 5D4 will do better as light drops and for BIF in general, but 5Ds is still an excellent birdng camera.

If you are planning a lot of landscape and birding the 5Ds will not let you down.

Apr 18, 2017 at 09:44 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password