New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

No More Flat-Rate Repairs at CPS Canada

molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · No More Flat-Rate Repairs at CPS Canada

Looks like Canon Canada is doing away with flat-rate repairs...

"Canon Canada wishes to advise you of a change in fee structure to our repair rates. Effective April 19, 2017, most products will no longer be repaired under a flat rate system, instead, Canon Canada will assess each product upon receipt and provide an estimate for time and materials. "

Apr 17, 2017 at 07:07 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · No More Flat-Rate Repairs at CPS Canada

Here's the full announcement:

Canon Canada wishes to advise you of a change in fee structure to our repair rates. Effective April 19, 2017, most products will no longer be repaired under a flat rate system, instead, Canon Canada will assess each product upon receipt and provide an estimate for time and materials.

Why the change?
Flat rates are fair to all customers only if the average repair price does not vary significantly. In order to be fair to all customers, a repair estimate will be provided specifically to address the issue with your particular product. In order to minimize your downtime, Canon Canada has established a pre-approved charge. This means that if the cost to repair your product is below $349 + tax, Canon Canada will proceed with the repair and return your equipment as soon as possible. In the event that the estimate charge is beyond the pre-approved charge of $349 + tax, Canon Canada will require your approval to proceed. If at any time you require a manual estimate, please advise us when sending your product and an estimate will be provided regardless of cost.

Apr 17, 2017 at 07:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · No More Flat-Rate Repairs at CPS Canada

Bummer. Next thing to go will be the discount for buying new 1D-series cameras and L-series lenses.

Apr 17, 2017 at 07:13 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · No More Flat-Rate Repairs at CPS Canada

"Flat rates are fair to all customers only if the average repair price does not vary significantly. In order to be fair to all customers, a repair estimate will be provided specifically to address the issue with your particular product."

Umm, with a flat rate, the repair price does not vary at all for customers. What varies is the cost to Canon to complete the repairs.

I interpret this a couple ways:

1) Many repairs could have been done for less than the flat rate fee structure and photographers were paying too much, on average.

2) Many repairs cost more time and parts than anticipated by Canon, making the flat rate structure undesirable.

It will be interesting to see if indeed 'minor' damage/problems will result in lower repair costs. But IMO, many of the flat rate fees were already quite reasonable given what I've seen charged by other brands.

E.g. a camera bag strap failure resulted in my 135L landing on a concrete floor a few months ago, warping the mount sufficiently to prevent mounting on the camera. There was some question, expressed by the CPS CSR, whether it would be serviced under the flat rate structure because of the oft dreaded and broadly applied term 'impact damage.' But it was and after the CPS discount, I paid less than 200 CAD. Now that the photographer will automatically accept up to $349 without a quote, what's to stop the same repair from being marked up more than the previous flat rate amount? I guess time will tell which way average repair prices go...

IIRC, I think I've had USM and IS module replacements done under the flat rate fee structure. IIRC, maybe even both USM and IS. Prior to the flat rate structure IIRC, I paid way more for similar repairs...

Apr 17, 2017 at 07:24 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · No More Flat-Rate Repairs at CPS Canada

The most recent repair I had done (last fall) was a 24-105/4L IS with two, different problems; (i) USM failed, and (ii) scratch on front element. Both were repaired for the flat rate of about $200 before tax. I think it would cost more with the new approach.

Apr 17, 2017 at 07:30 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · No More Flat-Rate Repairs at CPS Canada

Regardless of how they word it, a change like this is made with Canon's bottom line in mind, not ours.

Apr 17, 2017 at 08:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · No More Flat-Rate Repairs at CPS Canada

jcolwell wrote:
The most recent repair I had done (last fall) was a 24-105/4L IS with two, different problems; (i) USM failed, and (ii) scratch on front element. Both were repaired for the flat rate of about $200 before tax. I think it would cost more with the new approach.

I've had a few lenses with USM and/or IS replacements done flat rate: 135L, 300/4L IS, 70-200/4L IS, IIRC. Back in ~2004 I think I paid around $800 for USM and IS replacement for my 70-200/2.8L IS... Not looking forward to going back to that!

Apr 17, 2017 at 08:22 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · No More Flat-Rate Repairs at CPS Canada

I'm guessing some repairs will be higher and some may be lower, but it makes much more sense to me that they charge what the repair ACTUALLY costs. At least then it is my decision to repair or replace the item. I wonder if other CPS repair facilities with be altering their pricing structures? I believe in the US, some items have a flat rate or minimum repair, but most items I've sent in are billed as a time/materials type basis.

Apr 17, 2017 at 08:41 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · No More Flat-Rate Repairs at CPS Canada

My concern is the extra delay if you have to wait for Canon to send and estimate for you to approve before the work proceeds. I guess I got spoiled by the normal 48-hour turnaround times...

Apr 17, 2017 at 08:56 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · No More Flat-Rate Repairs at CPS Canada

The problem with this is a detailed estimate is impossible with out lots of tear down and trouble shooting. Just doesn't work that way. Getting a huge bill after the fact will be very upsetting to customers.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · No More Flat-Rate Repairs at CPS Canada

I'm good with the pre-approved expenditure of up to $350. If it's going to cost more, then you have a chance to say, "no"; if it's less, it just gets done.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:43 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · No More Flat-Rate Repairs at CPS Canada

molson wrote:
My concern is the extra delay if you have to wait for Canon to send and estimate for you to approve before the work proceeds. I guess I got spoiled by the normal 48-hour turnaround times...

Well, if you call ahead and have a loaner shipped out, then it doesn't really matter how long they take. Of course, assuming they send you a loaner...

JohnBrose wrote:
I'm guessing some repairs will be higher and some may be lower, but it makes much more sense to me that they charge what the repair ACTUALLY costs. At least then it is my decision to repair or replace the item. I wonder if other CPS repair facilities with be altering their pricing structures? I believe in the US, some items have a flat rate or minimum repair, but most items I've sent in are billed as a time/materials type basis.

Given the relatively low cost of the flat rate structure, at least for me, there was never a question of whether or not to repair something. I always got it repaired because it was so reasonable.

It's possible Canon Canada went more extreme with the flat rate structure back about 10 years ago, as part of their CPS 're-build' to bring back photographers, because they had a fairly poor reputation: slow, lack of loaners, often not fixing things first time around. Many were complaining here and elsewhere about their experiences and were using 3rd party service departments out of preference.

My understanding was the flat rate structure never covered all repair scenarios. If you trashed a camera/lens and wanted it repaired, Canon Canada would generate an estimate. The flat rate structure was more for 'typical' repairs, at Canon's discretion, to save everyone time.

From a standalone business perspective, requiring the service department to be revenue generating, it would make sense. From a customer perspective, I found the relatively low cost, low hassle flat rate structure appealing. It was one more checkmark in favor of sticking with Canon despite very attractive equipment competition from other manufacturers, but who don't necessarily have the service support Canon offers.

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:56 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password