Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?
Never, I am Nikon FX shooter
Never, I am Nikon DX shooter
On rare occasions, I am Nikon FX shooter
On rare occasions, I am Nikon DX shooter
Very frequently, I am Nikon FX shooter
Very frequently, I am Nikon DX shooter
All the time, I am Nikon FX shooter
All the time, I am Nikon DX shooter
I am D3, D4, D5 shooter!

Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I am like the candy bar commercial--"Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't". Sometime I use the grip; and sometimes I don't.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:38 AM
lbloom
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Tried it briefly with the D700, didn't like it.

I occasionally use an add-on grip with the smaller m43 bodies (GM1, even the E-M5 family), but not with the Nikons.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:40 PM
scottish

p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I recently started using a grip with my D750 after shooting my first wedding. Nikon reduced the size of the camera in part by narrowing its grip and reducing the space between it and the lens flange. As a result, I can't relax my fingers as much between shots and after shooting for 8-10 hours my right hand was fatigued and sore for several days.

A Meike grip now provides additional lateral clearance below the lens mount. It also provides more vertical clearance so I can spread my fingers out while shooting and stretch my fingers between shots. My hand felt much better at my next wedding even with the extra weight and bulk.

I normally shoot portraits and will forego the grip, but will continue to use it for longer shoots.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:08 PM
ytwong
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I think the best battery grip design was the F4/s. Solid integration with camera body(can't remember any issues with it), remove it when you don't want the bulk. I have no idea why they don't use similar design again.

I have never purchased a battery grip for any of my Nikon DSLR. Since they usually either offer no important feature to me (weight/balance or vertical shooting) or requires different kind of battery, charger(like higher fps for D700/D300) that complicate the logistics.

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:26 AM
gugs
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Almost all the time when available (D7000, D800, D200). Very few exceptions, only when I want a very light combo. Next to those I mostly use my good old pro-bodies (D3, D4).

Guy

Apr 26, 2017 at 12:39 PM
hjanssen
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Always a grip on D700 with a EN EL4a for three reasons:
1 extra set controls for the portrait mode
2 extra speed.
3 camera reacts better with higher voltage.

Apr 26, 2017 at 01:30 PM
alarsen77
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I just got my D750 kit on thursday that came with the free grip so I couldn't answer the poll as I haven't had it long enough to know. I came from a Canon 6d that I shot gripless as I never bought a grip for it.

I have put the grip on my D750 and really like the feel of the camera with it as I have larger hands and feel it has a better balance even without a battery in the grip as I only have one battery at the moment. I will probably end up trying it both ways. The only issue with the grip is when gripped the camera won't fit in my Lowepro Photo Sport BP300 AWII backpack that I use when hiking so I'd have to take the grip off for transportation and then put it back on when taking the camera out for the day to shoot. Which isn't a big deal because once the camera is out of the bag it stays out of the bag until I am done with it for the day. I am just worried about the extra connecting and disconnecting of the grip wearing down on the contacts.

I use a Blackrapid sport strap and find that camera sits well on that and I don't notice the extra weight or bulk from the grip with that strap. I also have the OP/Tech system connectors attached to the camera and the Blackrapid as extra security.

I will have to see how it feels when I have a second battery in the grip as well as one in the camera.

May 06, 2017 at 06:45 PM
bs kite
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I shoot both DX and FX, have the Nikon battery grips for the bodies (D500, D300, D610).

1. I require x-large glove size. With the battery grip, the unit fits the hand well...especially with the D500's deep sinus for the right hand fingers.

2. Also, I like the added mass...regardless of balance. Mass dampens vibration.

3. I rely on Sanyo Eneloop batteries to power my cameras....rarely the Nikon camera body's battery, although it is always in there and charged as a back up. In "SET-UP MENU", "BATTERY ORDER" , the MB-D17 is selected to run the camera first and I rarely get into the body's battery.

Nikon has committed to a pro-level DX body in the D500. And I am certain their commitment will continue. When the D500 is upgraded in several years, I will buy it, along with its Nikon battery grip.

And when the D810 replacement shows this summer, I will buy it and its battery grip....or simply buy the D810 with its grip.

May 06, 2017 at 07:48 PM
andre03
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I use Canon and Nikon cameras (5D Mk II, 80D, D600 and D7000) and all my cameras are gripped. My reasons can be found using a simple Google search. I've owned several Canon and Nikon DSLRs over a 9+ year period. I have given several Canon and Nikon DSLRs to close friends, mostly in the U.S., Panama and Colombia...and every camera was gripped.

...and every camera I've given out is still being used today...including the battery grips.

May 06, 2017 at 09:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

smkunder

p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Yes just got the new D500 and the grip came free, so I am giving it a try. Never had grip before, so we shall see, makes for a big package.

May 06, 2017 at 10:42 PM
Danny W.

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

bs kite wrote:
I shoot both DX and FX, have the Nikon battery grips for the bodies (D500, D300, D610).

3. I rely on Sanyo Eneloop batteries to power my cameras....rarely the Nikon camera body's battery, although it is always in there and charged as a back up. In "SET-UP MENU", "BATTERY ORDER" , the MB-D17 is selected to run the camera first and I rarely get into the body's battery.

I always powered my D300 with 8 eneloops because they allowed the camera to do 8 fps. The downside was that they added weight and were tedious to charge, since they had to be individually removed from the carrier.

With the D500 there's no speed advantage, so I'm wondering why you prefer eneloops over a Nikon battery in the grip.

Thanks,
Danny W.

May 06, 2017 at 11:56 PM
bs kite
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Hi Danny and fair question

i do not find it tedious. I rather enjoy the process. I have not bought a AA or AAA alkaline battery in a decade or more. And I power anything I can with them. Oh, I also ignored all the complaining about the D500's body battery when it was first released....because I did not experience the problem. I maintain at least two Storacell battery caddies loaded with charged AA's in my camera bag.

I am obligated to detach and reattach the battery grip much less often than those who favor the D500's body battery. All that screwing and unscrewing ? That is tedious to me.

I mentioned in above comment that I like more mass in a camera body than others do. I do not like lightweight camera bodies. Mass reduces vibration. I like that added mass right at the base of the camera too.

So I guess the thing most see as a downside, is an upside to me.

Robert King
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1057158&gclid=Cj0KEQjwi7vIBRDpo9W8y7Ct6ZcBEiQA1CwV2Fe6ulUSTYtMbKHRqc9NYt7yvOhlapXrtCsiSP6TLUQaAgTD8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C%7Bcreative%7D%2C%7Bkeyword%7D&Q=&A=details

May 07, 2017 at 07:51 AM
Danny W.

p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

bs kite wrote:
Hi Danny and fair question

i do not find it tedious. I rather enjoy the process. I have not bought a AA or AAA alkaline battery in a decade or more. And I power anything I can with them. Oh, I also ignored all the complaining about the D500's body battery when it was first released....because I did not experience the problem. I maintain at least two Storacell battery caddies loaded with charged AA's in my camera bag.

I am obligated to detach and reattach the battery grip much less often than those who favor the D500's body battery. All
...Show more

Hi Rpbert,

Thanks for the response--I find the grip with a Nikon battery inside adds enough mass for me.

I still use eneloops with my Speedlights and all sorts of things around the house, but the EN-EL15's work fine for me in the D500.

Danny W.

May 07, 2017 at 11:17 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I never use the battery grips.

EBH

May 07, 2017 at 11:38 PM
agrumpyoldsod

p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Always on my D810 and D500 when using super teles. Provides better balance. The EN-EL81a is a great power source and prevents battery issues with the D500 in particular.

May 08, 2017 at 07:57 AM
bs kite
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Hello you Grumpy Old Sod ........

Glad to see you back and have your input.

Do you happen to know in what way(s) the EN-EL8a might prevent battery issues in the D500? And if you do not...that is fine too.

I am not trying to be disagreeable. Am honestly curious, and always want to learn.

Thank you

May 08, 2017 at 08:48 AM
agrumpyoldsod

p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Hi bs kite

I have not had battery problems with my D500 "YET"- but there are lots and lots of complaints from others about Battery Life on the D500.

I use the EN-EL18a on safari - primarily to provide counter balance weight to my long teles (400/600); but also to ensure that it is this battery I run down first - leaving the EN-EL15 fully charged.

I have never got close to running down a EN-EL18a in the field. I use this model battery in all 3 of my cameras I use on safari and so only need to carry one charger (and a small usb powered charger for the EN-EL15s)

My sense is the D500 likes the from the EN-EL18a extra power -- but its just a sense - so no evidence. I shoot primarily in landscape orientation; but like the battery grip for portrait too.

Since I have to fly internationally to my shoots - I only use the latest generation Nikon Batteries (I was asked last time and provided details of the batteries I was carried).

I also understand that the D500 (and now the new firmware upgrade to the D810) works better with latest generation Nikon batteries and accessories -- so no third party camera gear or lenses in my safari photo bags.

May 08, 2017 at 09:00 AM
kozmo30

p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Rarely, but when I do, I don't put the battery in it because of the extra weight, so I only use it for the grip and added controls. Easier to carry spare batteries in my pocket and swap them out when needed.

May 08, 2017 at 09:55 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password