Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2017 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

D500 with grip on about 95% of the time. I have occasionally left it off if I just feel like hiking with lighter gear. My main use is to shoot perched birds in portrait orientation. Nikon did a great job with the D500 grip where when you switch to portrait orientation the joystick and buttons are in the exact same place. Funny that they couldn't achieve that with their flagship D5 where portrait orientation leaves the joystick in a more awkward position.

On my Canon system I use grips on my 7 and 5 series to balance large lenses (like 400/4, 600/4 etc) when handholding and for portrait shots. I do tend to leave off the grip on the 5 series if traveling or doing landscape stuff.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:20 PM
Thang
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I am mostly DX/Cropped body shooter. I used to always have the grip attached. However since the release of D500, I tried the grip for few months and went back to body only. Did not see the need of additional weight. D500 balances very well with the 200-500 bare. And the 2nd bare D500 is attached to 600G tripod mounted.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:57 PM
rick2906
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Always used grip on my D500 and D810

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:14 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Have grips for both my D800e and D610. Use them when I'm either going to be shooting primarily in portrait orientation the whole day, or when I'm on location and don't want to change batteries. Adds a ton of weight though, so sometimes even in the aforementioned situations I skip the grip. Doesn't hurt to have one though for the rare times you need it.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:19 AM
SiMuMe
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Love and use the grips for the vertical controls.

Apr 17, 2017 at 01:12 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

D810 no
D800 yes
D600 no
D500 yes
D500 no
D7200 yes

therefore, I couldn't vote

Apr 17, 2017 at 06:01 AM
Sergii

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Using battery grip with my D7100 almost all time. It's very useful for me since I have a lot of fashion show or modeling photo shoots and most pictures are vertical.

Apr 17, 2017 at 06:35 AM
Sergii

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

BTW the D7500 lost a grip socket, did it?

Apr 17, 2017 at 06:59 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I have grips for my D810, D500 and Df but don't use them very often.
The D810 grip is a genuine one (bought at the time Nikon charged more or less normal prices).
The D500 grip is a Vertex one; 1/5 of the Nikon (almost $500) price, including 2 batteries and USB charger
The Df has no genuine grip, so that's a 3rd party one as well

I'll get a grip for the D810 successor, but again it will be a 3rd party one.

Apr 17, 2017 at 07:01 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I shoot both Fx and DX . Do not want the extra weight or increase in size

Birdie

Apr 17, 2017 at 07:04 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I used to be obsessed with grips.

I had them on my canon Mark II's, D600, D700, D800, etc. But then I bought two D3s bodies and used them for about 3 years... that made me realize how much I missed gripless bodies and that's when I went gripless on D750's & prime lenses.

Apr 17, 2017 at 08:35 AM
Danny W.

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

After shooting for years with an F4s, F5, D1 & D2h I found I needed a grip on the D300 to make it feel right, plus I used 8 eneloops in it to get 8 FPS. With the D500 I find I can use it either way, but I mostly use it with the grip, which just feels better to me, especially for verticals. It pops off really easily if I want to lighten my load.

Danny W.

Apr 17, 2017 at 08:56 AM
chatcher
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Gary Irwin wrote:
After using add-on grips for years I've recently seen the light(!) and found that add-on grips are not worth the cost or extra weight for either FX or DX. Unless you're a pro, the extra battery life is a none-issue. Using a grip to attain perfect "balance" with a supertele sounds good in theory, but just makes everything HEAVIER. I DO like the feel of the pro-bodies -- but grip add-ons are a poor imitation. I've sold my grips and will never buy another.

Same here. I used to always buy and use grips, and I always felt the extra size and weight helped me get a better hold with less vibration. Maybe it was partly out of habit from using motor drives on older film cameras. Somewhere along the line (maybe as I started using VR lenses?) I stopped using the grips. I never bothered buying one for my D810 or D500. The good news is that I didn't have to buy the L-brackets to go with them.

Apr 17, 2017 at 09:26 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Never. Don't need the extra weight, don't need more fps, don't need more exposures. Maybe take another lens instead.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:29 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Two D810's, one yes, one no. The yes has an RRS L-bracket for tripod use.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:56 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Never bothered. 2000-3000 shot battery life is plenty, and an extra battery is still a lot lighter & smaller than a grip.

Some use it for ergonomic or balance reasons but I've never had an issue there either.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:16 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

If I'm shooting fashion (90% portrait orientation), yes

If I'm using the 70-200 a lot, yes. It is better balanced.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:22 AM
Photozack81
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I am FX and DX - my D500 has a grip, my D750 does not. My D7200, D7100, and D90 all had grips.

I like the extra balance the grip gives to the D500 when using bigger lenses. Also, the bigger grip area just fits my hand better. The D750 will eventually get a grip as well but again, it's for balance and for a more comfortable hold. I hardly ever rotate the camera to portrait orientation, it's all about ergonomics and balance for me. I couldn't even tell you if the portrait oriented controls even work on the D500. Never tried em.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:55 AM
kshimz
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Never needed to since I can shoot a full day wedding with 2 D810's, just one battery each. Plus, I don't mind flipping my hands/arms to portrait orientation. It's a good compromise for the added weight of a grip IMO.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:03 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Always!

Two Reasons:

1) I like my ergonomics to be roughly the same no matter which orientation I'm holding the camera.

2) The extra battery means not having to worry about my camera going dead in the middle of shooting. When the grip battery goes dead, it switches to the body battery automatically and I can swap the one in the grip at my leisure.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:28 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.