Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?
Never, I am Nikon FX shooter
Never, I am Nikon DX shooter
On rare occasions, I am Nikon FX shooter
On rare occasions, I am Nikon DX shooter
Very frequently, I am Nikon FX shooter
Very frequently, I am Nikon DX shooter
All the time, I am Nikon FX shooter
All the time, I am Nikon DX shooter
I am D3, D4, D5 shooter!

Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Zach-55
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Are you using battery grip /battery pack on your Nikon body?

And if you don't mind, tell us why you use it (and for what kind of photo shooting), or why you don't.

Apr 16, 2017 at 08:33 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I shoot DX and don't want any more wight

Apr 16, 2017 at 08:54 PM
gcbermejo

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I use a mix of bodies. D200, D300s, D500. I use the battery grip more for the feel in my hands. Having large hands, the extra depth that the battery grip creates gives me a more positive feel in my hand. The extra weight also feels better in my hand. But what works for me, others may not agree of course.

Apr 16, 2017 at 09:09 PM
Zach-55
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I rarely use battery grip for my D800E/D810 as those two bodies fits so well in my big hand (well above average male hand) that I don't feel much advantage of having it attached to my Nikon cameras.

Even when I shoot hand holding my heaviest and longest lenses (Sigma 150-600mm Sport) I don't use my battery grip. I gave it a try on several occasions with that huge heavy lens attached to D810 but it only added weight to it, with no obvious advantage for me.

Also, I have no problem to shoot portrait orientation at all with just D810, while hand holding it steady enough to ensure sharp photos time and time again.

And batteries in my D800E/D810 bodies last for hours and hours of shooting in a single day, meaning that advantage of additional battery in attached grip means nothing but additional weight (atop a weight of a grip itself) to me.

So, other then overall cool looking (pro looking if you wish) I honestly did not find it particularly wise investment from my side so far.

In fact, I confess that is the least used Nikon item I have ever purchased, along original Nikon DR-5 Screw-in Right Angle Viewfinder that was never attached to any of my Nikon cameras.

Apr 16, 2017 at 09:16 PM
bs kite
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

1. I have x-large glove size. With the battery grip, the unit fits the hand well...especially with the D500's deep sinus for the right hand fingers. Also, I like the added mass.

2. I rely mainly on Sanyo Eneloop batteries to power my cameras....rarely the Nikon camera body, although it is always in there and charged as a back up.

I would never consider buying the D7500 now..... because they omitted the battery grip.

But that is irreverent because now Nikon has committed to a pro-level DX body in the D500. And I am certain their commitment will continue.

Edited on May 06, 2017 at 07:35 PM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:17 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

After using add-on grips for years I've recently seen the light(!) and found that add-on grips are not worth the cost or extra weight for either FX or DX. Unless you're a pro, the extra battery life is a none-issue. Using a grip to attain perfect "balance" with a supertele sounds good in theory, but just makes everything HEAVIER. I DO like the feel of the pro-bodies -- but grip add-ons are a poor imitation. I've sold my grips and will never buy another.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:37 PM
rick_reno
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I shoot both FX & DX. I have the Nikon grip for the D800, never used it. Didn't bother to get one for the D500.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:40 PM
Lance B
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

You need another question:

Do you shoot FX *and* DX and use a battery grip on one or both?

However, I rarely use a grip on either, but, there maybe those that use a grip on one or the other from time to time. Some may use a grip on both their DX and FX body due to handholding a long lens. Others may use a grip only when using a DX body and not the FX body or visa versa. I only have a grip for my D810 but rarely use it. Like Gary Irwin above, I doubt whether I would buy one again unless it made a big difference to frame rates or holdability due to some differences in future body designs.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:38 PM
Zach-55
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Lance B wrote:
You need another question:

Do you shoot FX *and* DX and use a battery grip on one or both?

However, I rarely use a grip on either, but, there maybe those that use a grip on one or the other from time to time. Some may use a grip on both their DX and FX body due to handholding a long lens. Others may use a grip only when using a DX body and not the FX body or visa versa. I only have a grip for my D810 but rarely use it. Like Gary Irwin above, I doubt whether
...Show more

Well, in fact I could add three more options:

I shoot both DX and FX, using only gripped DX body
I shoot both DX and FX, using only gripped FX body
I shoot both DX and FX, using both DX and FX gripped body

But I did not want to go into such details, as I hope those nine offered options are already more then enough to get a picture about "battery grip" matter among members of this forum.

Edited on Apr 17, 2017 at 12:13 AM · View previous versions

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:05 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Don't want the extra weight and bulk. Also almost always have camera on a tripod and I use an "L" bracket.

Kent in SD

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sandy27000

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I use a grip on D500 all the time:
1) helps balancing the 500mm lens better
2) uses the same battery as my D5

Hiowever, I will take the D500 without the grip on a vacation so my wife can use it without the added bulk of the grip.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:32 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I use a battery grip on all my Nikon's. I like the bulk of it

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:35 AM
Zach-55
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Charles Loy wrote:
I use a battery grip on all my Nikon's. I like the bulk of it

What's about grip bulk that you like so much?
I mean, grip adds a lot of weight, takes more space in backpack or holster, there must be some more rational reason that drives you to drag around extra weight beside "feel good" moment, right? So, what's your secret about grip "addiction"?

Apr 17, 2017 at 01:02 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Zach-55 wrote:
What's about grip bulk that you like so much?
I mean, grip adds a lot of weight, takes more space in backpack or holster, there must be some more rational reason that drives you to drag around extra weight beside "feel good" moment, right? So, what's your secret about grip "addiction"?

My first digital was the Nikon D1, a 2.7 MP professional body (can you believe that?). Then I had a few upgrades, D1H, D1X and all had the built in grip design. I've liked, preferred the feel and weight since. Plus the vertical controls. To each his own.

Apr 17, 2017 at 01:25 AM
rwingsfan
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

Would not use a Nikon dslr without one, why? Because that is what I like nothing more, nothing less.

Apr 17, 2017 at 01:49 AM
Dj R
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I don't need to make mine any bigger than it already is.

Apr 17, 2017 at 01:56 AM
Spectro
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I've used D1,2,3,4 and now 5 bodies I also use a D500 along side it for my sports work and D810 for my personal camera. I prefer to keep the smaller bodies small. They both have great ergonomics as is.

Apr 17, 2017 at 01:59 AM
monochrome
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

D500, use it for better vertical shooting control.

Apr 17, 2017 at 02:01 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

I use grips on my D800e and D500. They match the feel and utility of my D5 and D4s and they all use the same battery. I really need a grip (and 2nd set of controls) for vertical shooting.

Apr 17, 2017 at 03:10 AM
jbonzo1
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Poll: Are you using battery grip on your Nikon body?

bs kite wrote:
1. I have large hands.

2. I rely mainly on Sanyo Eneloop batteries to power my cameras....rarely the Nikon camera body, although it is always in there and charged as a back up.

I would never, ever buy the D7500 now..... because they omitted the battery grip.

We're twins!
Plus I used pro series Nikon and Canon bodies since the early 1980's and they always had a motor drive attached or a built-in grip. When I got my D800E, I tried it without the grip and that lasted for about five minutes.

Apr 17, 2017 at 03:10 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password