Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Songkhran, 2017 - Thai New Year celebrations (Edited)

Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Songkhran, 2017 - Thai New Year celebrations (Edited)

Being mid-April it's Songkhran here in Thailand, as well as in other S. E. Asian countries which host their own variations of the 'water festival'.

I have a love-hate relationship with Songkhran. Arguably it is at its best when kids are happily playing in front of their houses - meekly splashing passersby. The other side being a depressing exhibition of simian level behaviour - with much in-between.

Normally I stay with family for a traditional country Songkhran of honouring the elders, perhaps venturing out for short periods to snap a few frames. This year I went to Pattaya and holed up in a cheap hotel for 3 nights watching movies in English (a luxury), an Indian meal and occasionally heading out to walk a circuit and shoot some.

As of posting this I haven't nailed anything I particularly rate - standard fare - but here are some images.

Canon 1DX
Sigma 24mm 1.4 Art
EF 50mm f1.4
EF 85mm f1.8

10 Songkhran: Songkhran ephemera for sale.

05 Songkhran 2017: Exhibitionist's paradise.

47 Songkhran 2017: Thai couple. After the photo this man offered me his beer. Thanks, but...

39 Songkhran 2017: Amongst the water play are strong displays of lust which culminate in people pairing off for the evening. Spend enough time in Soi 7 and you'll lose count of how many times the transvestites grab your genitals while smearing your face with whisky-laden kisses - the last thing they are is shy.

20 Songkhran 2017: Local girls claim the ever-popular corner spot from which to ambush.

26 Songkhran 2017: Lone guy having fun picking targets.

43 Songkhran 2017: A couple of middle eastern guys getting into the action.

61 Songkhran 2017: A young woman has 'din sor pong' smeared on her face. Harmless and odorless this clay-like powder is broken down into a paste and used to smear on people or splat on vehicles. It provides a means by which Thais, young and old, can flirt and physically touch.

17 Songkhran 2017: Ice sellers do well during Songkhran. It's not enough to simply splash someone, the colder the water the stronger the reaction of your target.

37 Songkhran 2017: Ice vendor looking for customers. 10-20kg blocks of ice are placed in water barrels to chill the water.

One annoyance this year was an abundance Chinese males seemingly unaware of the rules of engagement and going crazy in (their first?) Songkhran. Normally even the worst Thai understands the word 'no' and moderation in water play.

Wet. Dry bags really are the best for hauling extra kit - driest, but least convenient.

Gear in hand: think OpTech rainsleeves, electrical tape, minor, strategic applications of silicone gel, reusable zip ties, tennis wristbands, microfiber cloths secured in plastic bags - and thorough drying out upon return to your room.

Next is a trip to Phra Pradaeng, Samut Prakan, on April 21st-23rd to see what this (supposedly) uniquely flavoured Burmese-Thai Songkhran offers.

Edited on Apr 16, 2017 at 09:10 PM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2017 at 04:46 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Songkhran, 2017 - Thai New Year celebrations (Edited)

thanks for sharing, these are great and the backstore/description really helps

Apr 16, 2017 at 09:15 AM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Songkhran, 2017 - Thai New Year celebrations (Edited)

Paul Mo wrote:
The other side being a depressing exhibition of simian level behaviour

Nice street photography, but somewhat depressing to look at, I agree with you. This is what Thailand has become? Man, I'm sooooo happy now that I visited the country long before this development started.

Paul Mo wrote:
Amongst the water play are strong displays of lust...

Guess that's 99% Europeans, Americans and Israeli and their paid for butterflies who lost all respect from their countrymen anyway. I've never seen a regular Thai behave like the people in image 39 for example. Not even in Bangkok. Where did you shoot this? Sukhumvit Road or Khao San?

-Phil

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:02 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Songkhran, 2017 - Thai New Year celebrations (Edited)

Thanks. Phil these were shot in Pattaya - walking a circuit down Soi's 6, 7, 8 and Beach Road. For photos I was quite lazy and only went out 3 times. It was as much a mini holiday and chance to sleep as it was a photo op. Cheers.

Apr 16, 2017 at 06:12 PM

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Songkhran, 2017 - Thai New Year celebrations (Edited)

Awesome photos but I wouldn't want to be in your place. Things like this are a chore to shoot - I remember the Spanish Tomatina well! One ape came up to me and nonchalantly smeared a handful of crushed tomatoes right into the front filter of my 17-35L. I was so flabbergasted that I couldn't even muster a "F*ck you". This I imagine isn't much different.

Apr 17, 2017 at 02:24 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Songkhran, 2017 - Thai New Year celebrations (Edited)

Ilya, cheers, and it certainly can be that way -
people will target you. So although aggressive people are in the minority you have to have your wits about you. Hope your 17-35 f2.8L shrugged it off!

Apr 17, 2017 at 02:35 AM

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Songkhran, 2017 - Thai New Year celebrations (Edited)

Paul Mo wrote:
Ilya, cheers, and it certainly can be that way -
people will target you. So although aggressive people are in the minority you have to have your wits about you. Hope your 17-35 f2.8L shrugged it off!

Well, thankfully it was wearing a filter - and a plastic bag over the body for good measure. I remember engineering a pretty ingenious (if crude) protection system because I knew it'd be a rough experience. Like most anybody there, we had to ditch the clothes altogether (maybe the underwear remained, I have no memory of that ) and change into a clean spare. My chestvest was reeking for weeks afterwards.

Apr 17, 2017 at 02:49 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Songkhran, 2017 - Thai New Year celebrations (Edited)

I usually lie low during this time of the year. Water fights can be fun and they were when I was younger. Now days the camera gear stays inside and when I do go out (which is rare during this time) the cell phone is securely put in a waterproof pouch.

In my area the Songkran (water fights) started on the 11th and will end on the 19th, hopefully. The two most intense days will be the 18th and 19th and are usually clustered along Beach Road and in front of open air bars, etc. Too many idiots and drunks on the road for me to venture out, my hat's off to you.

Apr 17, 2017 at 06:26 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.