Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

A few post Costa Rica trip gear opinions/suggestions....

arbitrage
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A few post Costa Rica trip gear opinions/suggestions....

Scott Stoness wrote:
Great report

re
" It got to the point that I didn't use my 1DX and my 5D4 I just used for the multi-flash as it had more pixels and you couldn't really shoot high FPS as the flashes would start dropping. 7FPS of the 5D4 was great for that scenario. The 1DX2 though just outperformed the other two in a big way."

needs some editing -
by mutliflash do you mean 5div with multiflash
which one started dropping

I have always thought that more pixels of 5div (5dsr in my case) was more desirable than fps. Are you regretting and cropping related to
...Show more

Yes, run on sentence....I used the 5D4 in the multi-flash setups because why not have more MPs if I could. The flashes would start dropping if you hammered away at 14FPS so there wasn't much point. 7FPS was sufficient to get all the wing positions of the hummingbirds at the flowers.

When I can, I will shoot the 5D4 for the extra 1.22x TC effect over the 1DX2. But when I can get close enough to not have to crop a lot, I prefer the 1DX2. When I want more FPS I use the 1DX2 with no hesitation as I can still crop it a lot and be happy.

My main issue came in early morning, dark jungle (often backlit) trying to focus on a green quetzal in a green forest with backlighting. The 1DX2 did much better but even then I resorted to LV MF a few times to get the shot.

Apr 22, 2017 at 01:12 PM
Mike Bons
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A few post Costa Rica trip gear opinions/suggestions....

Geoff, thanks so much for the write-up. As a person who loves birding in the cloud forest and someone looking to upgrade some gear I really appreciate hearing your experiences.
This weekend I tried the 400 DO II for the first time and loved it. The ability to handhold it and for long periods and it's ability to take TC's quite well make's it very appealing to me. I tried it side by side the 500 II and the differences in weight and the ability to handhold it while photographing birds in flight is extraordinary. Your thoughts on the DO in that situation seems to be very lukewarm to spite posting some great images made with it. Did you ever wish that you had brought your 300 2.8 II (I believe you have this lens as well)?

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:26 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A few post Costa Rica trip gear opinions/suggestions....

Mike Bons wrote:
Geoff, thanks so much for the write-up. As a person who loves birding in the cloud forest and someone looking to upgrade some gear I really appreciate hearing your experiences.
This weekend I tried the 400 DO II for the first time and loved it. The ability to handhold it and for long periods and it's ability to take TC's quite well make's it very appealing to me. I tried it side by side the 500 II and the differences in weight and the ability to handhold it while photographing birds in flight is extraordinary. Your thoughts on the
...Show more

Don't get me wrong, I love the 400DOII. I sold my 300/2.8II when I got the 400DOII as I couldn't justify having both and I tended to want the 800mm option over the 300mm option. I still used the 400DOII a lot on the trip and I handhold it most of the time. At home I use it at least 50% of the time, so much more than my other lenses.

I just found that on this trip, I either was looking for maximum reach with the lowest f-stop possible which was always the 600/4 OR I found the short MFD and great MM of the 100-400II to be more versatile. Basically because I could approach hummingbirds to well within the 400DOII's MFD, the 100-400II gave better frame filling results.

I used my 300/2.8 in 2015 in similar shooting conditions in Ecuador and it was my most used lens on that trip.

What I really wanted on this trip was a 400/2.8 and I was seriously considering getting one...even thoughts of selling the 600 came into my head. But at home the 600 is more useful to me than 400/2.8. But on the CR or Ecuador trip, having the 400/2.8 option and still having the option to use TCs to match the 560/4 and 800/5.6 of the 600 would have been ideal. I never needed 1200mm on the trip (Thankfully)

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:59 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A few post Costa Rica trip gear opinions/suggestions....

Mike Bons wrote:
This weekend I tried the 400 DO II for the first time and loved it. The ability to handhold it and for long periods and it's ability to take TC's quite well make's it very appealing to me. I tried it side by side the 500 II and the differences in weight and the ability to handhold it while photographing birds in flight is extraordinary. Your thoughts on the
...Show more

Yeah the more I read about the 400 DO II and see images the more intrigued I am. 800mm with a 2X would be awesome. I already have the 1.4 III. I'm really enjoying my 5D4 so I'm kind of torn right now about my 7D2. I also have a 70-200 2.8 II which I like but hardly use. Decisions.

Apr 23, 2017 at 03:50 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password