New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · PowerPack Output to Charge Mirrorless/DLSR Batteries

Albino_BlacMan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PowerPack Output to Charge Mirrorless/DLSR Batteries

I spend a lot of time in remote places (especially canoeing) and go through quite a few batteries (timelapse and star trail photography uses a lot of juice). I have two options. 1) Bring more batteries or 2) bring a powerpack (essentially a larger portable battery). The benefit of number 2 is that I can bring a solar panel and let the powerpack charge while I’m off doing stuff. For now this is the route I would like to go (so please no “just bring more batteries recommendations).

I’ve tried this in the past with a small powerpack I borrowed from a friend (I believe it was a powermonkey) and it wouldn’t charge my batteries. My assumption is that it was drawing too much power which caused it to shut down (although I’m not positive on this front). It looks like 5V 2A is pretty standard.

My ideal setup would be Powerpack to Wasabi Power Charger to Camera Battery. The Wasabi charger gives me options for a 12V cigarette (car) cable, USB cable or standard north American plug in.

I’m wondering if anyone has recommendations for powerpacks that would work well. Or better yet what specs I should be looking for when looking into powerpacks.

Apr 14, 2017 at 05:56 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PowerPack Output to Charge Mirrorless/DLSR Batteries

Albino_BlacMan wrote:
My ideal setup would be Powerpack to Wasabi Power Charger to Camera Battery. The Wasabi charger gives me options for a 12V cigarette (car) cable, USB cable or standard north American plug in.

I’m wondering if anyone has recommendations for powerpacks that would work well. Or better yet what specs I should be looking for when looking into powerpacks.

You don't want an extra converter from 5V to 12V, so use a charger that accepts USB input or one of the few rather "powerpacks" that natively output 12V. Assuming you are charging something like an LP-E6, the USB chargers are limited to about half the current of the Canon AC charger. Try to charge several at once to increase throughput.

For example, a 20,000 mAh power bank would charge an LP-E6N about 3.6 times assuming the batteries are at 0% and the inverter and charger combine for a 67% efficiency. Realistically you won't discharge the cells to 0% so it might be enough for five charges.

EBH

Apr 14, 2017 at 09:51 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PowerPack Output to Charge Mirrorless/DLSR Batteries

Omnicharge. AC/DC and USB charger. (yes, AC household plug!) Small and well-engineered.

It's a great back-up power unit. I can plug in the AC plug of my Profoto chargers and charge the batteries for my B1 and B2... You shouldn't have a problem with a little wasabi charger

ken

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:11 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PowerPack Output to Charge Mirrorless/DLSR Batteries

Check out Goal Zero solar chargers.

Apr 16, 2017 at 08:41 AM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PowerPack Output to Charge Mirrorless/DLSR Batteries

What kind of camera do you have? Does it charge batteries via USB? I'm gonna assume "no" since you asked about Wasabi chargers, but just in case (or maybe this will help someone else):

I do the following with my X-T2:
- Bring 2 camera batteries and a 10,000 mAh battery pack with two USB outputs
- Drain batteries during day (or night) shooting
- When I go to bed, I put the battery with the lowest charge in the camera and hook it up to battery pack to charge (I also charge my phone on the 2nd output )

If I start to fall behind on charging I'll hook the battery pack up to my camera during the day to charge while I'm out and about.

I also like this because it reduces weight and the amount of stuff I have to carry in the backcountry or while car camping.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:45 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.