New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Elinchrom BRX500s and skyport plus HS question

ian watstein
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Elinchrom BRX500s and skyport plus HS question

Picked up a few BRX500s and the skyport HS. Most of the reviews I've read seem to support the idea that the HS system, with a little playing around, will work with the BRX500s. Only after a lot of playing around, I cannot seem to get them to work together in HS (love how they work together in every other way).
Shooting on a 6d at 70mm with the flash about 10' from the subject; no modifiers.
This is a shot with no OSM adjustment:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2823/33194534944_d6e3d57170_z.jpg
Flash was set to max power, 1/4000 of a second at f/2.8, so there should have been well more than enough light.

When I stated playing with the OSM, i think this was +3.0ms I am able to see the hot part of the light, it is close to the middle of the frame, but the bottom curtain is also visible (and yes, I know it is out of focus)
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2862/33880227952_b0d4544d85_z.jpg

Further research seems to suggest that the flash duration is the problem, but I cannot find anything definitive. Would greatly appreciate any feedback and tips that would allow this to work.

I think I can accept that the HS doesn't work with the BRX500's and will be OK with returning the transmitter. Even if it does add the ability to see a visual of all my lights and their respective settings, and control the hot lights independently, I don't think it is worth the money if I cannot find some other ways to justify not having HS...

Apr 14, 2017 at 04:55 PM
thatleetboy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Elinchrom BRX500s and skyport plus HS question

Good for you, doing all that testing. AFAIK, flash duration is indeed the problem.
Not sure where you read the reviews that suggested this combo would give you Hi-Sync... That sucks.

Elinchrom has a list of gear they suggest will work, YMMV.
http://www.elinchrom.com/support/ELSP-HS.html

Apr 15, 2017 at 04:28 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Elinchrom BRX500s and skyport plus HS question

Have you tried using a lower power setting? According to the Elinchrom specs for the BRX 500, the shortest flash duration is at full power. This implies the BRX is not IGBT controlled and thus flash duration increases as output power decreases. But the question will be if duration increases enough to make HS usable at a reasonable power output level. Probably no point if you have to set it near minimum power since there probably won't be enough light output to overpower or match bright ambient.

Apr 17, 2017 at 02:17 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.