Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

If you were creating a great photo computer, what would i...

clonardo
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

Good points- I have the Corsair H110i and I actually changed the fans out to quieter ones now that I think about it. I run all of my cooling through a fanbus, and have found that I can manually dial down a liquid cooler's fans to a very low level while maintaining an acceptable temperature, so that's more how I was thinking about it.

Enjoy the new PC. I haven't seen any content creation benchmarks on the new Optane caches, but that's one that I'm interested in watching- https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/27/intel-optane-for-desktop/

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:13 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

clonardo wrote:
Good points- I have the Corsair H110i and I actually changed the fans out to quieter ones now that I think about it. I run all of my cooling through a fanbus, and have found that I can manually dial down a liquid cooler's fans to a very low level while maintaining an acceptable temperature, so that's more how I was thinking about it.

Enjoy the new PC. I haven't seen any content creation benchmarks on the new Optane caches, but that's one that I'm interested in watching- https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/27/intel-optane-for-desktop/

So far Optane is only really useful for giving traditional HDD's a speed boost, and you're much better off with a fast PCI-E SSD. Intel's promises of mass market SSD's many times faster than current ones for the same price haven't really came to be at all (yet). Definitely something to keep an eye on as time goes by though.

Jun 20, 2017 at 03:47 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

I have an H100i - and case full of fans. I have never been bothered by a computer happily whirring away next to me. I like the sound.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

clonardo wrote:

CanadaMark wrote:
So far Optane is only really useful for giving traditional HDD's a speed boost, and you're much better off with a fast PCI-E SSD. Intel's promises of mass market SSD's many times faster than current ones for the same price haven't really came to be at all (yet). Definitely something to keep an eye on as time goes by though.

I don't know what they were thinking.

EBH

Jun 21, 2017 at 01:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Oscarsmadness
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

I saw the Optane thing a while ago and laughed. 128GB pci-e ssd's are cheap enough to host an OS and a bunch of programs. Pairing one of those with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD (or RAID 0-ing magnetic spinners) would give a much better bang for buck than messing with Optanes.

Jun 21, 2017 at 03:19 AM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

I paid USD110 for a 256GB pci-e drive last March. Best upgrade I ever made, although getting Windows 7 onto it was a PITA.

Truth be told, there are so many good options and multiple "right" ways to do things in the PC world that the new iMac Pro looks rather underwhelming. But that is another topic entirely

Once Adobe starts writing software that addresses 4+ cores more effectively, then this conversation might actually be worth somebody's time.

Jun 21, 2017 at 03:25 AM
rattlebonez
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

Imac 5K - 4.0 Ghz I7 4-core, 32 GB RAM no issues with performance and screen is excellent

Jun 21, 2017 at 03:47 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password