Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

If you were creating a great photo computer, what would i...

Oscarsmadness
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

The people pointing at iMac 27inch have a good point. If you choose an iMac 27inch WITH THE SSD OPTION, you don't have to do anything anymore. And you get a fantastic monitor that uses the P3 gamut!

The people pointing at the Intel i7s are giving you cost-no-object advice. A fast i5 is a much more cost-effective option for your purposes.

The first thing I think all of us would agree on is get a current model SSD. Anything other than spinning platters. The spinning hard disk is usually the bottleneck in most systems, and it's pretty bad.

The GPU from your son's computer likely isn't going to be much better than the integrated graphics on a recent CPU model. But if you're trying to spend more than $200 on a GPU, you're either doing something more intense than photos or you're playing video games.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:08 PM
marsh9077

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

I literally just went through this scenario a little while ago and ended up with a Asus laptop from Costco.

https://www.costco.com/ASUS-ROG-GL553VE-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---4GB-NVIDIA-Graphics--1080p.product.100339721.html

When I bought it there was an instate rebate so I picked it up for $1250 and at the time I was in MT so no sales tax. For what you get this is any amazing computer for the price. The main selling points for me were dual hard drives, 32gb of ram, and a 4gb graphics card

7th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor 2.8GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

Drives:
1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive + 256GB SATA3 Solid State Drive
DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD)

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 10

Communications:
802.11 Wireless-AC WLAN + Bluetooth 4.0
10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 Connector)
Integrated HD Webcam

Graphics & Video:
15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) Glossy Display
4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti Graphics

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:05 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

After you decide which NVMe SSDs you might want, how many graphics cards, USB-3.1C ports, thunderbolt 2 or 3, etc., etc., have a good look at the manual for your preferred motherboard and see which slots are really available for use. Can you actually use all of those accessories, or will they be crippled by a lack of data bandwidth ? A speedy NVMe M.2 SSD card may use the same PCIe data lanes that one of the PCIe card slots wants to use, or that your thunderbolt or usb 3.1c controller wants to use. Just having up to six PCIe slots doesn't mean they're all available all the time, and ditto for M.2 and U.2 slots.

Then consider replacements for upgrades or backups. Chances are that those PCIe or M.2 cards cannot be used in a cloning dock. That aside, if you get one with too little storage capacity you'll be up for an upgrade sooner than otherwise, obviously, but unlike with SATA drives there will be less chance for those replaced items to be useful outside your pc case, and even inside.

In short, all of the really, really fast goodies use a significant portion of the total pc data transfer capability and data connectivity (limited by CPU, graphics and motherboard). The old SATA and USB 2 days were slower but also easier to get along with.

Apr 21, 2017 at 06:14 PM
tuantran
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

How much are you willing to spend? A lot of great suggestions but after a certain point, the cost is much greater than the benefits.

Apr 21, 2017 at 07:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password