Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3              9       10       end

Archive 2017 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

Oscarsmadness
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

The people pointing at iMac 27inch have a good point. If you choose an iMac 27inch WITH THE SSD OPTION, you don't have to do anything anymore. And you get a fantastic monitor that uses the P3 gamut!

The people pointing at the Intel i7s are giving you cost-no-object advice. A fast i5 is a much more cost-effective option for your purposes.

The first thing I think all of us would agree on is get a current model SSD. Anything other than spinning platters. The spinning hard disk is usually the bottleneck in most systems, and it's pretty bad.

The GPU from your son's computer likely isn't going to be much better than the integrated graphics on a recent CPU model. But if you're trying to spend more than $200 on a GPU, you're either doing something more intense than photos or you're playing video games.

Apr 20, 2017 at 06:08 PM
marsh9077

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

I literally just went through this scenario a little while ago and ended up with a Asus laptop from Costco.

https://www.costco.com/ASUS-ROG-GL553VE-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---4GB-NVIDIA-Graphics--1080p.product.100339721.html

When I bought it there was an instate rebate so I picked it up for $1250 and at the time I was in MT so no sales tax. For what you get this is any amazing computer for the price. The main selling points for me were dual hard drives, 32gb of ram, and a 4gb graphics card

7th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor 2.8GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

Drives:
1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive + 256GB SATA3 Solid State Drive
DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD)

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 10

Communications:
802.11 Wireless-AC WLAN + Bluetooth 4.0
10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 Connector)
Integrated HD Webcam

Graphics & Video:
15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) Glossy Display
4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti Graphics

Apr 21, 2017 at 09:05 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

After you decide which NVMe SSDs you might want, how many graphics cards, USB-3.1C ports, thunderbolt 2 or 3, etc., etc., have a good look at the manual for your preferred motherboard and see which slots are really available for use. Can you actually use all of those accessories, or will they be crippled by a lack of data bandwidth ? A speedy NVMe M.2 SSD card may use the same PCIe data lanes that one of the PCIe card slots wants to use, or that your thunderbolt or usb 3.1c controller wants to use. Just having up to six PCIe slots doesn't mean they're all available all the time, and ditto for M.2 and U.2 slots.

Then consider replacements for upgrades or backups. Chances are that those PCIe or M.2 cards cannot be used in a cloning dock. That aside, if you get one with too little storage capacity you'll be up for an upgrade sooner than otherwise, obviously, but unlike with SATA drives there will be less chance for those replaced items to be useful outside your pc case, and even inside.

In short, all of the really, really fast goodies use a significant portion of the total pc data transfer capability and data connectivity (limited by CPU, graphics and motherboard). The old SATA and USB 2 days were slower but also easier to get along with.

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:14 PM
tuantran
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

How much are you willing to spend? A lot of great suggestions but after a certain point, the cost is much greater than the benefits.

Apr 21, 2017 at 02:01 PM
juicesqueezer
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

The M.2 drives are the way to go. Just built my own a few weeks ago.
i7 6700k, Asus Z170, Corsair 32gb ram 3200, Asus 6gb GPU, Samsung 960 500gb M.2 ,Samsung 500gb SSD, Corsair water cooler and a 750 PSU.
This does the trick with Lightroom and Photoshop.

May 04, 2017 at 07:33 PM
GOVA
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

2 x Xeon 2630 E5
ECC RAM 128GB
4xSSD Intel 750, Samsung 960 PRO PCI-E
Win7x64 or Linux

Call it a day.

May 19, 2017 at 02:18 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

The i9 CPUs (Skylake-X) will be announced soon. The i9-7920X has 12 cores/24 threads for those needing real oomph and there are lesser CPUs as well.

EBH

May 19, 2017 at 11:35 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

EB-1 wrote:
The i9 CPUs (Skylake-X) will be announced soon. The i9-7920X has 12 cores/24 threads for those needing real oomph and there are lesser CPUs as well.

EBH

I don't think the architecture is much different to the current i7's though, so unless you want to pay up for a lot of cores there won't be any real difference in performance.

May 20, 2017 at 04:19 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

Looks like i9 solves a core problem of i7.

May 20, 2017 at 05:17 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

The 10 core i7 is $1,500 give or take.... so, this one will be how much?

May 20, 2017 at 04:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

That is pricey, but it would be nice for a "great" photo computer.
One could run several instances of some programs and get more work done.
I'm still using an archaic 6-core Haswell-E w/64GB at 4.4GHz, so what do I know?

EBH

May 20, 2017 at 08:12 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

I looked into it a bit, and stopped when the build eclipsed $3k....

May 21, 2017 at 05:32 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

A 2012 era classic Mac Pro decked out like I have it.

May 21, 2017 at 06:23 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

15Bit wrote:
I don't think the architecture is much different to the current i7's though, so unless you want to pay up for a lot of cores there won't be any real difference in performance.

There's a new CCX structure and it will be on Intel's 14nm++ (two plus') process. We already know the 8C variant will be able to do 4.3Ghz on all cores, and 4.5Ghz on a single core, so it should OC decently. They dropped PCI lanes from 44 to 28 on the 8C SKU so hopefully a lower price comes with it, especially when a Ryzen 1700 is only $350. I'm waiting for pricing info but that is probably the direction I will take for my specific usage - I'm guessing $999 CAD.

May 21, 2017 at 02:03 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

CanadaMark wrote:
There's a new CCX structure and it will be on Intel's 14nm++ (two plus') process. We already know the 8C variant will be able to do 4.3Ghz on all cores, and 4.5Ghz on a single core, so it should OC decently. They dropped PCI lanes from 44 to 28 on the 8C SKU so hopefully a lower price comes with it, especially when a Ryzen 1700 is only $350. I'm waiting for pricing info but that is probably the direction I will take for my specific usage - I'm guessing $999 CAD.

Looks like 8 is the new 6 then. I'm definitely going to be interested to see the pricing on that part. Hopefully it won't be that expensive now that Ryzen is out and showing competitive performance. Be interesting to see how much difference the architecture evolution makes, but i expect 5% will be the best we can hope for. Still, until our favourite software programming company starts making better use of multiple cores, a top end quad will remain the sweetspot for photo editing.

May 21, 2017 at 03:51 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

15Bit wrote:
Looks like 8 is the new 6 then. I'm definitely going to be interested to see the pricing on that part. Hopefully it won't be that expensive now that Ryzen is out and showing competitive performance. Be interesting to see how much difference the architecture evolution makes, but i expect 5% will be the best we can hope for. Still, until our favourite software programming company starts making better use of multiple cores, a top end quad will remain the sweetspot for photo editing.

Enough things in PS are multi-threaded that if the single core performance is close enough to Kaby, it will be *overall* faster. Ryzen is only 7% behind Kaby clock for clock. For example my HDR plug in is heavily multi-threaded, as is all opening/saving and batch processes. When I tested a Ryzen 1800X vs my 3770K @ 4.4 Ghz it was a pretty clear win for the Ryzen overall, assuming the faster clocks made up for the older process. Everyone's workflow is different though so it's important to know exactly what you need. On top of that if you have anything else going on your PC while editing, you benefit from more cores. Many people have music, downloads, chrome tabs, etc. running in the background I would think - I certainly do. It's all a balancing act. Regardless I think the best overall value out there will still be the Ryzen 1600/1700 CPUs for a mixed use PC.

May 21, 2017 at 04:36 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

I would agree, though i will probably go with an overclocked intel quad when i upgrade. I don't do anything on my desktop PC that really utilises a lot of cores, but most programs do like clockspeed. For my needs i think an overclocked i7 would be faster than a 8 core Ryzen, and at norwegian prices it was even slightly cheaper when i ran the numbers a few weeks ago.

Given that my old i5-3570K is still performing more than well enough, i think i will probably postpone my next upgrade for a while yet and use the money for something else. An upgrade to my 5D perhaps.

May 21, 2017 at 05:03 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

rico wrote:
Looks like i9 solves a core problem of i7.

Ahahahaha ha ha ha ha ha. ha. ha. ha...

May 22, 2017 at 01:02 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

I have a Skylake i5 OCed to 4.2Ghz and it's chewing through stuff relatively quickly, even though it's definitely not the best and greatest. I bought it for $220 and decided to put the savings vs the i7 or even the X99 platform stuff (never considered using Xeons) into new lights and stands.

While editing tools are important, I tend to bias my spending toward actual shooting equipment. I turn out a better product with quality lenses and quality lights, and clients notice that. Clients don't notice whether my computer moves like the government or like a Formula 1 racer.

May 22, 2017 at 01:15 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · If you were creating a great photo computer, what would it be?

I postprocess with the ImageMagick utility, so multiple cores are leveraged by operating on batches of images, e.g.
ls *.png | sed 's/.png$//' | xargs -n 1 -P 48 -I X convert X.png -geometry 300% X.jpg
With 16 Xeon cores, this command line pegs about 24 hyperthreads of 32 available. Due to SpeedStep considerations, the wall-time factor is about 20. To match that performance, a 4-core i7 would need to be clocked at 12 GHz. My Xeons, meanwhile, are economy-model 2 GHz nominal from the Sandy Bridge era.

May 23, 2017 at 02:48 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.