Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Who is using "Lens Compensation" Playmemories App?

uhoh7
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Who is using "Lens Compensation" Playmemories App?

As most know, there is an app you can download, "Lens Compensation" in play memories.

I am learning this for A7rii, but all input welcome.

First, who is using this app very often, or at least uses it for a particular lens? Impressions? Would you share a profile?

I'm shooting several M wides, and I hope to get them working OK with this app (I also will do a thin filter mod on the camera)

First thing I notice is it sort of takes over the camera...is that ever a problem?

Is there is any subtly to the peripheral shading part, which is often uneven depending on the lens?

Here are the instructions for latest version.

Edited on Apr 13, 2017 at 11:45 PM · View previous versions

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Who is using "Lens Compensation" Playmemories App?

uhoh7 wrote:
As most know, there is an app you can download, "Lens Compensation" in play memories.

I am learning this for A7rii, but all input welcome.

First, who is using this app very often, or at least uses it for a particular lens? Impressions? Would you share a profile?

I'm shooting several M wides, and I hope to get them working OK with this app (I also will do a thin filter mod on the camera)

First thing I notice is it sort of takes over the camera...is that ever a problem?

Is there is any subtly to the peripheral shading part, which is often
...Show more

This app is extremely helpful when shooting video. You can use lenses with CA, vignetting and simple distortion being automatically corrected on the fly.

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:18 PM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Who is using "Lens Compensation" Playmemories App?

uhoh7 wrote:
[/url]

That was enough of a problem to make me stop using the app because it only allows you access to a tiny subset of the camera's controls/functions.

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:37 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Who is using "Lens Compensation" Playmemories App?

I have used it in the past more often in my A7R, but now I am more leaning towards shooting RAW and correcting color cast in post processing with the Adobe DNG Flat Field Plugin. But the lens compensation app works well - I applied it for my wide angle Voigtlander M lenses. The setting which I am using are as follows:

CV 21/1.8 @ f/11
Peripheral Shading: +15, -3, -10
Chromatic aberration: +4, +2
Distortion: 0

CV 35/1.2 II @ f/11
Peripheral Shading: +15, -2, -5
Chromatic aberration: +4, +2
Distortion: 0

I tried to use the CV 12/5.6 with the lens compensation app, but this didn't work too well here in the ultra-wide. Way to go for correcting with this lens is clearly post processing and using the Adobe Flat Field Plugin.

Apr 14, 2017 at 03:50 PM
navmannz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Who is using "Lens Compensation" Playmemories App?

I used it recently when shooting night-sky images at F/2.8 with my ZM Distagon 35 and when shooting wide open on my Loxia 21. It worked reasonably well, although I needed to allow for the vignetting compensation applied by the lens profile in Lightroom. The only drawback I found was some excessive boost in the corners with a little induced colour cast when its very dark when shooting with the Loxia, for which I used a higher vignetting setting. Because of this, my leaning now is to instead apply a bias frame in DeepSkyStacker which I use to align multiple images, as this would leave the original image untouched.

-John

Apr 14, 2017 at 04:26 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.