New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

BGarrett

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

My wife and I will be driving from Jackson Hole to Yellowstone during the last week of May, was wondering if anyone had suggestions for especially photogenic sites? We'll be eyeballing the usual tourist guides, but would appreciate any personal favorites you've been to.

Apr 13, 2017 at 01:43 AM
RMC cichlids
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

This should get you started http://www.jhphotoguide.com/moulton_barn.html
Make sure you stop in Thomas Mangelsen gallery in Jackson Hole.

Apr 13, 2017 at 03:03 AM
BGarrett

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

Thanks RMC! Definitely some fantastic photo locations shown on that guide!

--Bill G

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:30 AM
bflood
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

There are iconic sunrise photos to be had at the Moulton barn, Schwabacher's Landing, and Oxbow Bend. If you hope to get one or more of these, try to schedule it for a weekday and get there early - these spots will be very crowded on weekends. The Snake River Overlook will be much less crowded.

With cooperative weather, the shores of Jenny Lake and Spring Lake will be very picturesque. You'll have good opportunity to encounter large animals (bison, elk, perhaps moose or bear) in Jackson Hole. Remember that they are wild animals - be especially mindful of their babies as they will defend them fanatically if mom even thinks you might be a threat. Keep an eye out for them in the space between Grand Teton and Yellowstone parks, too - some of my best shots came from that area.

Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone photographs well early on the morning, before 9 AM. If it's cool, and chances of that are good, there will likely be a layer of steam fog on the surface of the spring. From a viewpoint on the boardwalk somewhat below the spring, the fog will display the underlying colors of the spring - a pretty neat effect and nice photo.

Get a predicted time for a morning (9 AM or so) eruption of Old Faithful and then take the trail around the geyser and up the hill on the far side away from the lodges. You may be able to get the eruption with a nice rainbow in the spray. Be sure to allow enough time to get up there. If you can identify where the sun will rise and get to a place that's about 15 degrees one side or the other of directly down-sun from the geyser, your chances will be good.

Early morning at the Lower falls on the Yellowstone River, up to 830 or 900 AM, there will be a rainbow in the spray from the falls nicely visible from Artist's Point (use a polarizer to optimize the color in the rainbow). Ask at a ranger station for a better idea of the time of day and best locations where the rainbow is visible (changes with the seasons).

Add everything you find in the photo guides, and include a web search for Yellowstone waterfalls.

Have a great time.

Apr 13, 2017 at 09:24 PM
BGarrett

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

bflood, thank you so much... your descriptions got me even more excited about what we might see on our trip!

--Bill G

Apr 14, 2017 at 03:17 PM
JohnKS
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

If you get a chance drive along Moose Wilson Road. We were able to see moose and black bear along the road in the fall.

http://www.jacksonholewy.com/blog/moose-wilson-road-a-scenic-drive-in-jackson-hole/

https://www.jacksonholenet.com/scenic_drives/moose_wilson_road.php

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60838-d1903933-Reviews-Moose_Wilson_Road-Moose_Grand_Teton_National_Park_Wyoming.html

Have a great time.

Apr 15, 2017 at 05:55 PM
BGarrett

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

Thanks John

Apr 17, 2017 at 09:54 AM
fsphoto

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

http://wyofoto.com/Yellowstone_Photo_Map.html
http://wyofoto.com/Teton_Photo_Map.htm

I found these to be very helpful.

Apr 17, 2017 at 06:23 PM
BGarrett

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

Those maps look very useful indeed. Thanks!

--Bill G

Apr 17, 2017 at 06:35 PM
Doc4659
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

Check out Mike Jackson's website.
He lives in Jackson Hole and posts daily.
http://www.bestofthetetons.com

Apr 26, 2017 at 09:01 PM
BGarrett

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

Will do. Thanks Doc!

--Bill G

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:41 PM
James Farrell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

Some Grand Teton NP images that might give you a few photo op ideas - note captions under the images on the right - https://jamesfarrell.smugmug.com/Archive/Site-Pages/ParksAndPlaces/Grand-Teton-National-Park/

May 05, 2017 at 06:38 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

Ashton-Flagg Ranch road, heading west from Flagg, is a lovely drive into mountains, meadows and lakes... and away from the hordes. Worth half a day if you're looking for a quiet drive. The road is gravel, so conditions may vary...

May 05, 2017 at 08:24 PM
BGarrett

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

Thanks, James and Greg. We'll check 'em both out!

May 06, 2017 at 03:23 PM
marsh9077

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

bflood wrote:
There are iconic sunrise photos to be had at the Moulton barn, Schwabacher's Landing, and Oxbow Bend. If you hope to get one or more of these, try to schedule it for a weekday and get there early - these spots will be very crowded on weekends. The Snake River Overlook will be much less crowded.

With cooperative weather, the shores of Jenny Lake and Spring Lake will be very picturesque. You'll have good opportunity to encounter large animals (bison, elk, perhaps moose or bear) in Jackson Hole. Remember that they are wild animals - be especially mindful of their babies
...Show more

bflood has listed a lot of the good classic must see's. Depending on how much time you have and your interest I would also say make sure you get out to Lamar Valley at sunrise (I have had the best luck at sunrise) or sunset this is the best time to spot wolves. Just look for all the people with spotting scopes pulled off to the side of the road. If you don't have a spotting scope most are more that happy to let you look through there's. You can also see tons of bears here as well.

Another quick an easy overlooked of the beaten path spot that I like for prong horns is just out the North Entrance (drive out of the park) go through the main arch and drive down Old Yellowstone Trail (its a dirt road) you will see TONS of prong horn and often big horn sheep and some elk

I think someone else already mentioned it but make sure you drive up and down Moose Wilson Rd just outside Moose, WY at dusk. There are several moose that live in the marshy area so just drive up and down this section and it is almost a guarantee that at dusk you will see at lease one if not several.

Oh yeah and another hidden gem that is in the Tetons is Pilgrim Creek Rd. Its a dirt road turn off almost half way between Coulter Bay and Jackson Lodge I have gotten some great grizzly shots of "Blondie" down this road and I think the other grizzly that hangs out in the area between Coulter Bay and Jackson Lodge is no 957

Other than that most of the wildlife can be spotted by just looking for the masses pulled off to the side of the road. That is why I think the fall and winter are some of the best times to go. Ill take cold any day over masses of people, screaming kids, completely full parking lots and campground, traffic jams, and of course the idiots trying to get way to close to the wildlife. I think someone else already mentioned remember these are wild animals and we are in there habitat so please respect them.

May 16, 2017 at 07:52 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

I just returned from spending a week in the area. First, other than the bison, you'll want at least a 400mm lens to get good images of most anything. Bison and an occasional elk can get so close to the road that a 70-200 zoom will work—both recommendations are for both FF and APS-C cameras. I did most of my wildlife shooting with an APS-C camera (EOS 7D Mark II) with a 500mm lens (often with a 1.4X or 2X teleconverter). Also, be patient with the wildlife. I saw a lot of people stop, snap, and go. Had they waited and watched for a while, they would have seen a lot more action and captured much more memorable images.

Lots of bison calves in the Lamar Valley. Watch for bighorn sheep in the rugged area to the left after the switchbacks from the north (Gardiner) entrance and also a couple of miles inside the park near the west (Cody side) entrance.

I saw my best grizzly (not great, though) in the Hayden Valley. There were a lot of sightings in Lamar as well, but those were mostly spotting scope sightings, which don't do much for me even with my Big White. There's also an identified, visible wolf den (reportedly with 5 pups) near Slough Creek, but it's also a spotting scope target. While you might see some action, there's so much air between where you can stand and the subject that you may not see more than chimeras.

Black bears were all over. Both blacks (black and cinnamon variants) and grizzlies were seen near the road construction bottleneck south of Mammoth. But like all wildlife, they come and go, so no promises.

Coyotes in Hayden Valley. There was also a badger siting in Lamar, but I think that's pretty rare. I saw a very pregnant moose in Lamar; she may have given birth by the time you're there.

There are still trumpeter swans in the western rivers. I saw a couple in the Hayden Valley and some in the Firehole River south of Madison. Look VERY carefully or you can miss them, and they may be gone by the time you get there.

To my surprise, there's also a large great blue heron rookery along the Yellowstone River a few miles north of Fishing Bridge. It's on the far bank and you need to watch carefully or you'll miss it.

Moose were visible in Lamar and also in the willows at the northern parts of Teton. I saw them throughout the day, again watching very carefully as I drove by. For me, the most interesting wildlife images came when I was the only photographer. I tried to avoid the big crowds and was rewarded nicely—as you should be if you're vigilant and patient. Have fun!

Bison calves

Bighorn sheep kids sparring

Trumpeter swan

Heron rookery

May 17, 2017 at 11:53 AM
BGarrett

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

Thanks, marsh9077 and Abbott. We leave day after tomorrow, returning in a couple of weeks, hopefully with lots of great pictures.

Weather-wise, we were told to expect highs near 50 degrees faren. Our last two trips, to Alaska and Norway, were unseasonably warm -- shirt sleeve weather in May. So I'm wondering what to really expect. Any thoughts?

--Bill G

May 17, 2017 at 12:47 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

I was surprised: I stayed in Gardiner and it was in the mid-30's around dawn and usually mid-40s by the time the sun was up. Days were high 50's to low 60's on the west and throughout Lamar.

BUT: when I went to visit along the Yellowstone River, mid-morning temps were mid-20's, ice still covering Yellowstone Lake. It finally warmed up there to mid-50's. It also rained a bit. That was last week.

Remember: it's the Rockies. Weather changes spontaneously, and this time of year it's wise to be prepared for anything.

May 17, 2017 at 02:41 PM
bflood
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

The last time I went to Yellowstone in May (in 2012), I was there for 10 days and had 2 days of short sleeve weather and a half day where the road from Old Faithful to Fishing Bridge was closed due to snow. Be prepared!

May 18, 2017 at 02:43 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Jackson Hole to Yellowstone

I haven't been there lately, but Green River Lakes used to be GREAT! Even though it's not as photogenic as the Tetons, with the winding river in front of the mountains, I'd probably rather go there. If people haven't figured out a way to ruin it, with all the gas drilling I've heard is in the Pinedale area.

May 18, 2017 at 11:40 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.