FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Monolights for couples shoot?

jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Monolights for couples shoot?

ahaug wrote:
Seems like the 360s are getting a lot of love. I know that they are lighter and cheaper than a 600 but the 600 seems to be simpler to use with no wires or external batteries and more control with the remote. Am I missing something here?

"lighter and cheaper". You just answered your own question.

Apr 19, 2017 at 09:42 PM
ahaug
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Monolights for couples shoot?

jcolman wrote:
"lighter and cheaper". You just answered your own question.

Got it but .. is it a pita to work with? lots of wires and parts vs a self contained unit? How do you like the remote?

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:03 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Monolights for couples shoot?

ahaug wrote:
Got it but .. is it a pita to work with? lots of wires and parts vs a self contained unit? How do you like the remote?

I've used it for about 5 years now and have no plans on replacing it. The remote is simple and easy to use. There is only one wire that connects the light to the battery. It's really quite a simple setup. Here's a pic of it's younger brother, the 180. I have three of them and find that they are perfect for everything except direct sunlight.

I clamp the battery to the light stand with a spring clamp now instead of hanging it like it's shown in the pic.

I was one of the first to buy the 180's when they first came onto the scene. They were exactly what I was looking for in a portable lighting system.

I have three different sizes of soft boxes/octaboxes now ranging from huge to very portable, plus various other modifiers.

Apr 20, 2017 at 01:54 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Monolights for couples shoot?

1 Cheetah 360 at sun rise ... +grid @ full power or 1/2, i believe.

360 = fun

Apr 20, 2017 at 03:28 AM
glort
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Monolights for couples shoot?

ahaug wrote:
Got it but .. is it a pita to work with? lots of wires and parts vs a self contained unit?

Lots of wires?
You mean as in one wire? That's not a lot to me and does not interfere with the convenience of the unit.

You may prefer the built in battery but it comes at a price on the 600 Units and I would say from my perspective they are less portable and convenient.
I can fit the 360 in my regular camera back with the battery and the twin/ high speed connector no problem. I'd have to have a 2nd case for the 600 and that to me is more of a pain than having a separate battery pack especially as I work on location a lot and always have my hands full with props, a tripod or nightstand or other things.

A bag/ case big enough to carry the 600 and my camera gear would start getting a bit over size and as so many out there are concerned about every gram, no doubt weight would be an issue as well. My other battery light is a mono size and I FAR prefer the 360 wire or not. They have the built in TTL no so you don't need any other external plugin on the unit itself.

The 360's for me are very convenient and I look at the power cable not as a drawback but the allowance to run more than one head or have a USB Charger available etc.

Apr 20, 2017 at 05:19 AM
gnjphotography
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Monolights for couples shoot?

I like the results on the AD360, but the AD200 has me intrigued. It has the same power of the 360, ability to use MAGMOD modifiers and no battery pack. It seems like the true quick set-up location lighting set-up.

Apr 20, 2017 at 04:31 PM
SvdWijst

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Monolights for couples shoot?

My AD200 came in today. Gonna use it at a wedding tomorrow.

Apr 20, 2017 at 08:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Monolights for couples shoot?

gnjphotography wrote:
It has the same power of the 360, ...

Not exactly, the AD 200 is a 200Ws flash and the 360x is a 360Ws flash almost a full stop more powerful.

Apr 20, 2017 at 09:33 PM
MrGubrz

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Monolights for couples shoot?

ahaug wrote:
Seems like the 360s are getting a lot of love. I know that they are lighter and cheaper than a 600 but the 600 seems to be simpler to use with no wires or external batteries and more control with the remote. Am I missing something here?

ditching all but 2 of the on camera flashes for the ad200's
ditching all my 360's for xplor600's (the adorama ones come with a MUCH nicer case than the godox, for the 600's)
i also hate the cords all over with the 360s. twirly 80s phone cords stretched all over and never quiet long enuf without feeling like its going to SpRoInG out across the room... lol

the on camera lithium ones are on sale at adorama, btw

if you havent used lithium batteries for a flash... ur so missing out! they last forever, recycle so fast, and no more AA's all over your bag like a disaster area! (ok, mebbe im just a messy battery guy)

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:48 AM
gnjphotography
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Monolights for couples shoot?

They have been tested by Rob Hall that shows that it is less than a full stop and no more battery pack.

MRomine wrote:
Not exactly, the AD 200 is a 200Ws flash and the 360x is a 360Ws flash almost a full stop more powerful.

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:20 AM
level1photog
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Monolights for couples shoot?

gnjphotography wrote:
They have been tested by Rob Hall that shows that it is less than a full stop and no more battery pack.

The AD200 is closer to advertise 200Ws. 360Ws is closer to 300. There are plenty verifiable tests from cheetahstand, Rob Hall, and other more educated photographers than myself to back up those claim.

Apr 21, 2017 at 06:26 AM
glort
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Monolights for couples shoot?

MrGubrz wrote:
i also hate the cords all over with the 360s.

What cords all over??

Do they make more than one model of the same flash??
Mine only has ONE lead.
Either I have something different or you guys really have a thing for leads!
Do you have a strap on your camera or don't like that either?

The 200 Looks quite useful especially with the interchangeable heads.
If they come down in price when the bun rush is over, might be worth adding to the stable.

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:23 PM
MrGubrz

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Monolights for couples shoot?

glort wrote:
What cords all over??

Do they make more than one model of the same flash??
Mine only has ONE lead.
Either I have something different or you guys really have a thing for leads!
Do you have a strap on your camera or don't like that either?

The 200 Looks quite useful especially with the interchangeable heads.
If they come down in price when the bun rush is over, might be worth adding to the stable.

lol. the curliness makes it count as TWO for the snagging hassle!
and i do NOT have a strap on my camera, so funny you mention it.. !!!

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:27 PM
Trunkmonkee

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Monolights for couples shoot?

I use the Profoto B1's. They're a bit expensive and bigger than speedlights, but I absolutely love their results and they are very fast to setup, shoot, and modify lighting as needed. Never had an issue with power, the batteries last a while and they're small enough to pack an extra set, plus there are plenty of modifiers to choose from.

As far as weight goes, it's heavy but not too bad. I wouldn't hike anywhere remote with them, but I've carried them and shot solo with them several times. Clients are always *very* impressed when I pull them out, so I feel like it also adds to the professionalism and a higher likelihood of return customers and referrals. Biggest gripe I have is the wind, you'll always need an assistant to hold them if they have umbrellas, etc.

May 13, 2017 at 11:15 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password