Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

rob4bama
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

I have a 5d Mark iii and I feel it gets the job done but I was wondering how the mark iv compares?

Apr 12, 2017 at 03:19 PM
rschroeter2124

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

I've shot since Jan 17 with 5DIV coming from 5DIII and I was pleasantly surprised. I feel ISO noise levels improved, and AF is noticeably better. I shoot hockey mainly, so both were important to me. Keeper rate overall feels much improved. Tracking capabilities are executed better in the specific settings I have put significant mileage on which are:
AF Servo Case 4, subjects that accelerate or decelerate quickly, modifying the tracking sensitivity down to -1, Accel./decel. tracking: +1 (default), AF pt auto switching: 0 (default).

Apr 12, 2017 at 07:56 PM
ifxbonz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

I use it as my 2nd camera with 70-200 or 200 f2 both with or without 1.4 ext.

The AF is very close to the dxll and of corse the SS is lacking with only 7fps. IQ is great.

Andy

Apr 14, 2017 at 04:29 PM
fhammond
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

ifxbonz wrote:
I use it as my 2nd camera with 70-200 or 200 f2 both with or without 1.4 ext.

The AF is very close to the dxll and of corse the SS is lacking with only 7fps. IQ is great.

Andy

If you were just shooting sports, would you pick the 5D4 as the second camera to your DXII? Or, for the same or less money, would a 1D X be a better choice? I have a DXII and I'd like to get a second body. It wouldn't just be for sports - so the 5D4 is probably the best choice - but a good condition 1D x is tempting.

Apr 15, 2017 at 03:26 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

The 5DIV is a better choice over the 1Dx unless you really need the fps and durability. The 5D4, DR, AF and AF accuracy along with much better low light AF acquisition are all superior to the 1Dx. AWB is much better as well, particularly indoors.

Apr 15, 2017 at 05:16 PM
fhammond
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

Vancouver47 wrote:
The 5DIV is a better choice over the 1Dx unless you really need the fps and durability. The 5D4, DR, AF and AF accuracy along with much better low light AF acquisition are all superior to the 1Dx. AWB is much better as well, particularly indoors.

Thanks.

Apr 15, 2017 at 06:09 PM
ifxbonz
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

I don't think anyone just shoots sports, but that's what I do most. But I like landscape and sunrise shooting too so I chose the mms for those scenarios. The camera. He's very good DR and AF in low light plus it handles noise quite nicely. It wouldn't be my first choice for sports, that goes to the dx or dx ll. But I didn't need another sports camera, just a second body.
I really like the 5dmk4. It will be really tough to move to the next gen Canon having the dx ll and the 5dmk4. I also own a don't A7r ll and that's a real nice body for landscape as well but not sports in any way.
Andy
fhammond wrote:
Thanks.

Apr 16, 2017 at 01:35 PM
fhammond
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

Thanks for the advice. I just purchased 5DIV and I'm looking forward to using it this weekend at some soccer games.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

fhammond
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

Thanks for the advice. I just purchased 5DIV and I'm looking forward to using it this weekend at some soccer games.

Apr 19, 2017 at 04:23 PM
Long Shot

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

I shoot sports with a 5D mk iv. The pros include a great AF system, and high resolution, so if I need to crop there is plenty of resolution to make large prints. The cons include a slower frame rate. I was going to save all of my sales profits to add a 1D mk ii, but witt the announcement of the Sony A9, with 20 frames per second, it has my attention.

Apr 20, 2017 at 03:13 AM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

Long Shot wrote:
I shoot sports with a 5D mk iv. The pros include a great AF system, and high resolution, so if I need to crop there is plenty of resolution to make large prints. The cons include a slower frame rate. I was going to save all of my sales profits to add a 1D mk ii, but witt the announcement of the Sony A9, with 20 frames per second, it has my attention.

It is my understanding that if the A9 is AF tracking, it drops to 10fps.

Apr 20, 2017 at 03:24 PM
rob4bama
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

Thanks for all the replies. With practice, the frame rates are usually not a factor. I like the 5d 3, but the geek in me wants something new.

Apr 20, 2017 at 05:15 PM
fhammond
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

gschlact wrote:
It is my understanding that if the A9 is AF tracking, it drops to 10fps.

Wow, that's interesting. Where did you read that?

Apr 20, 2017 at 05:27 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

rob4bama wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. With practice, the frame rates are usually not a factor. I like the 5d 3, but the geek in me wants something new.

Listen to the businessman in you and stick with what works for you obviously bloody well and don't over capitalise on something that won't make any difference to your bottom line.
IF you want a new toy, look at something that will put more money in your pocket.
I can assure you, a new camera won't.

For what you do with your Sports work, a 7D or a 6D would be fine anyway. I just bought one of each and am very happy with them both although I'm still stuffed if I can see what the big deal with FF is?

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:28 PM
Blue marlin

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

I came across this thread while looking for 5d mk Iv info
At the moment using 2 x 1d mk iv's one on a 400 the other on a 70/200 but looking to upgrade.the 1dx mkii is a non starter due to cost. As 90% of the stuff I shoot is sport.
My questions are will I notice a difference in focus speed etc from the 1d mkiv to the 5d mk iv
Will the 7fps be fast enough when used on s 400 f2.8?
At the moment the choice is between 2 x s/h 1dx or a 5d mk iv for the 400 and a 1dx for the 70/200

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:57 AM
Blue marlin

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Does anyone use a Canon 5d Mark IV for sports?

I should have added had any body got any links to their own sports stuff shot with a 5d mkiv?

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:59 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password