New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Yellowstone kit

marsh9077

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Yellowstone kit

I use to live about 7hr from Yellowstone so I would frequent it quite a bit and after several trips I found that a 100-400ii (or the 200-400) and a 600ii on 1dxii's are the best combo for wildlife and I also had a 7dii handy just for the crop factor.

Since you are on a budget I would pick up a used 7dii as well as a 100-400ii (buy a used one for the trip then when your done with your trip sell it you might even be able to sell it for what you bought it for so it really like a free rental). You can still get some great pictures with a 100-400ii but if you do not get to frequent Yellowstone and this is a trip of a life time you should really consider renting a 600ii and a 1.4x and 2x extender yes its expensive but what is your time planning the trip taking the time off work etc worth to you? You mind as well take full advantage of this opportunity. Trust me there are many times when I had the 600ii with a 1.4x on the 7dii and still wanted more zoom.

Also if you do pick up some type of big glass DONT FORGET you are going to need a tripod and head to support it. A sturdy tripod and a gimbal make a world of difference when using big glass.

Also just a heads up on the backpack in Yellowstone it is a lot stopping and shooting from the side of the road so make sure your gear is easily accessible and ready to go, I would say save your money since large camera backpacks are so expensive you can probably get away wit not even having one. I use to have two 5 series Gitzo's with Wimberly's that lived in the back of my car all put together with a 200-400 mounted on one and a 600ii mounted on the other and 100-400ii sitting in the passenger seat. Never had my gear packed away, takes way to long to setup a tripod, pull your body out mound the lens then put it on the tripod, by then you could have missed the shot. Also if it is in the budget rent some kind of SUV or mini van, it is really nice to be able to have your setup laying the back so all you have to do is open the back pull out your camera and start shooting.

Oh yeah and if you have time make sure you get down to the Teton's its has tons of wildlife hidden gems

May 11, 2017 at 06:02 PM
ChrisAttebery
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Yellowstone kit

Hi Marsh,

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. We have been to Yellowstone once before. When we're driving in critter country I keep the camera with the telephoto lens on the seat or floor next to me. That way if I see something the camera is within arms reach.

When we are out hiking I carry my camera with the telephoto lens and the rest of my gear is in the backpack. If we see something interesting I'll pull out the proper lens and take a few shots. If I keep my critter lens on the camera I can get quick shots in. If I have my landscape lens on they're usually gone by the time I can swap lenses.

I haven't been very happy with the reach on the 70-300 for a while. It wasn't long enough for ANY of the activities I use it for (wildlife, auto racing, high power rocketry) and I was almost always doing heavy crops on the images I took with it. The Sigma 150-600 isn't quite as sharp at 600mm (32lpmm) as the 70-300L is at 300mm (38lpmm) but when you factor in the heavy cropping I should come out ahead. I purchased a very clean copy of the 150-600 C today. It should be here by next weekend and then I can see for myself.

I may sell rent a crop body for the trip. I haven't decided on that yet.

May 11, 2017 at 10:19 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Yellowstone kit

I went to Israel a couple of years ago and when I bought my Canon 6D, I got the EF 24-105mm F/4L as a package-deal, which I under-utilize because I have a lot of other great lenses. However, I was so limited with weight, I took the 6D w/ the EF 24-105 and my 70-200mm F/4L plus the tiny x2 extender turning my 200mm into a 400mm with minimal issues.

While the EF 16-35mm is probably one of the sharpest lenses Canon makes, I was pleasantly surprised just how razor-sharp the 24-105mm was. And it's lighter than the 16-35mm and covers half of the lower-end of that lens. If you don't want to buy one (you can probably find the older model like I have for pretty cheap), consider renting the newer model.

I'm also headed to Yellowstone this summer so I may see you there.
Bill

May 21, 2017 at 11:18 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Yellowstone kit

We just returned from Yellowstone, Our most used lenses with our 7DIIs and 5DIIIs were our 100-400IIs, our 400 DOII, 70-200 II, and lastly our 800..

70-200
http://www.pbase.com/rprouty/image/165606332.jpg
70-200
http://www.pbase.com/rprouty/image/165606333.jpg
400 DOII
http://www.pbase.com/rprouty/image/165606325.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/rprouty/image/165606334.jpg

Jun 10, 2017 at 11:01 AM
Tapeman
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Yellowstone kit

I'm going the last week of June. I will be traveling heavy as we are driving and will meet our kids and their families there.
For me Yellowstone is a photo trip. We will camp in the park for 4 nights. I'll have gear ready to shoot at all times. 3 bodies, 5 or 6 lenses.

It would be hard for me to bring minimal gear there or anywhere for that matter.

Jun 10, 2017 at 01:01 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Yellowstone kit

Don't forget about a side trip to the Tetons. Afternoon is great to try to recreate Ansel's snake river and mountains shot.

Jun 10, 2017 at 11:32 PM
ChrisAttebery
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Yellowstone kit

We're staying in Gardiner for 4 nights and then moving to Headwaters Lodge at the very North end of GT for 5 nights. I can't wait.

Jun 12, 2017 at 05:17 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Yellowstone kit

ChrisAttebery wrote:
We're staying in Gardiner for 4 nights and then moving to Headwaters Lodge at the very North end of GT for 5 nights. I can't wait.

I hiked in Yellowstone stayed in Gardiner, Montana
yes, smaller and lighter is definitely much better

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Jun 12, 2017 at 06:01 PM
ChrisAttebery
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Yellowstone kit

We just got back on Monday night. We had a great time. I know everyone says you have to be there before dawn but we never made it into the park before 10AM. We saw plenty of wildlife though. My strategy was to cover a lot of ground and take short breaks and hikes occasionally. We drove an average of 177 miles each day.

I wound up taking the 16-35 IS, 24-70 2.8 II and the Sigma 150-600 C. I bought a Peak Design Slide strap the day before we left and I left my Black Rapid at home. I carried everything on the plane in the MindShift Backlight 26L and never had any problems on Delta. I packed my tripod into one of our suitcases.

I carried the backpack on a few hikes and it worked out well but I wish there was a better way to carry the camera and the backpack at the same time. The Slide wasn't comfortable under or over the backpack straps.

I left the 150-600 on the camera almost exclusively. While we were driving I kept the camera on my or my wife's lap. We shot a lot of pictures from the car or stopping at the nearest pull out and jumping out of the car. The few times we hiked I kept the 150-600 on the camera until I wanted to take a landscape shot and then put it back on as soon as I was done. Overall that worked out pretty well. There was one time at Jenny Lake overlook where I only had the 16-35 on hand and we ran into a bear with cubs but she stayed around long enough for me to run to the car and swap lenses. We all used it handheld, even my 95 pound daughter.

I used the 24-70 with a CPL as my primary landscape/family lens. That worked out well for the most part. There were only a couple occasions where I left the 16-35 in the car and wished that I had brought it along. On the other hand almost every time I brought the 16-35 I wished I had the 24-70 too.

I only used the tripod a couple times, but I was happy I had it when I needed it.

In hindsight I wish I had brought a small waist pack to carry one of the landscape lenses. Then I could have carried the camera with the 150-600 on the strap over my shoulder and the smaller lens around my waist.

I haven't looked at the stats in LR yet, but my SWAG is that the FL distribution will along these lines.
50% 600mm
25% 150-599mm
20% 24-70mm
5% 16-24mm

We were there for 9 days and we shot 2200 pictures.

Jul 20, 2017 at 06:39 PM
jaredmizanin
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Yellowstone kit

Cannot wait to see what you captured!

ChrisAttebery wrote:
We just got back on Monday night. We had a great time. I know everyone says you have to be there before dawn but we never made it into the park before 10AM. We saw plenty of wildlife though. My strategy was to cover a lot of ground and take short breaks and hikes occasionally. We drove an average of 177 miles each day.

I wound up taking the 16-35 IS, 24-70 2.8 II and the Sigma 150-600 C. I bought a Peak Design Slide strap the day before we left and I left my Black Rapid at home. I
...Show more

Jul 21, 2017 at 08:40 AM
ChrisAttebery
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Yellowstone kit

I started a trip report thread here:

Chris' Yellowstone trip report(or what I did over summer)

Jul 21, 2017 at 03:41 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Yellowstone kit

rprouty wrote:
We just returned from Yellowstone, Our most used lenses with our 7DIIs and 5DIIIs were our 100-400IIs, our 400 DOII, 70-200 II, and lastly our 800..
_

Well done Rod. And it looks like Karen is into it also.

Dennis

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:44 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.