New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · In praise of the EF-M 15-45mm

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · In praise of the EF-M 15-45mm

Bought myself a white box Eos M 15-45mm lens for very little and just wanted to give my 2 pennyworth.

I love it, it has rejuvenated my tired old EOS M's into something I can actually use for normal pictures, not just boring work stuff (on booms mainly)

It's considerably smaller and lighter than the 18-55mm EF-M lens (and the 11-22mm) and more importantly when you add a generic (i.e. flatter) lens cap can it makes the overall depth of the lens camera combination only 8cm (3 1/4")

This means I can now put it in a really small bag and it simply feels much more portable.

Yes it's a bit slow but the IQ is really pretty good once you've stopped down a stop or two (i.e. the same as the other kit lens, not bad at all) and it's an equivalent 24-72mm which is more or less ideal.

I have also added a Flipbac G4 grip to one camera which makes it far, far easier to hold and I'm really pleased with it.

Apr 11, 2017 at 06:24 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · In praise of the EF-M 15-45mm

I'll find out in a day or two, 'cause that's when my M5 + 15-45 IS STM should arrive.

I wasn't sure if I'd get a M5 or M6, but after trying a M5 at a local shop, I have to say that the little EVF finder on the M5 is much better than I expected. Far nicer than using the EVF-DC1 finder on a M3, for example.

Apr 11, 2017 at 06:50 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · In praise of the EF-M 15-45mm

jcolwell wrote:
I'll find out in a day or two, 'cause that's when my M5 + 15-45 IS STM should arrive.

I wasn't sure if I'd get a M5 or M6, but after trying a M5 at a local shop, I have to say that the little EVF finder on the M5 is much better than I expected. Far nicer than using the EVF-DC1 finder on a M3, for example.

If the M5 wasn't so stupidly priced over here I'd buy one but at present they are more than an 80D, which is ridiculous IMHO. They haven't dropped in price at all really.

I had the EVF-DC1 on a G1X mark II for a while but hated it as it made the camera such an odd shape to bag up, plus it would never sit properly round your neck with a strap. I hated the G1XII as well and sold it, which is why I'm after something really portable.

I'm still using my original M1's and as long as I get the exposure right the IQ is pretty good

Apr 11, 2017 at 07:05 AM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · In praise of the EF-M 15-45mm

I like my M5 with the 15-45. It does provide a lot of flexibility for photos or video. It fits into a smaller camera bag I have, but is a little tight getting it in and out, so I may have to try one of those low profile generic lens caps to see if that helps solve the problem.

When I want to go even smaller, the original M with the 22mm lens fits in a very small bag that I can wear on my belt.

Thanks for sharing.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:15 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · In praise of the EF-M 15-45mm

Sjjindra wrote:
I like my M5 with the 15-45. It does provide a lot of flexibility for photos or video. It fits into a smaller camera bag I have, but is a little tight getting it in and out, so I may have to try one of those low profile generic lens caps to see if that helps solve the problem.

When I want to go even smaller, the original M with the 22mm lens fits in a very small bag that I can wear on my belt.

Thanks for sharing.

Yes I'm a fan of the 22mm but it's not a zoom (obviously) although it's much faster it's really good to have a 24mm wide and a bit of a zoom, plus it's really not much bigger.

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:07 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · In praise of the EF-M 15-45mm

jcolwell wrote:

I wasn't sure if I'd get a M5 or M6, but after trying a M5 at a local shop, I have to say that the little EVF finder on the M5 is much better than I expected. Far nicer than using the EVF-DC1 finder on a M3, for example

I tried the M5 last week too and its viewfinder should be about the same as the EVF-DC2 on the M6 since they have about the same specs. 2.6MP OLED while the EVF-DC1 seem to be a LCD*. I also pecked through a XT2....

Good luck with your new camera! :-))

*https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/PowerShot/EVF-DC2-versus-EVF-DC1/td-p/200907

Apr 11, 2017 at 01:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · In praise of the EF-M 15-45mm

artificialyello wrote:
I tried the M5 last week too and its viewfinder should be about the same as the EVF-DC2 on the M6 since they have about the same specs. 2.6MP OLED while the EVF-DC1 seem to be a LCD*. I also pecked through a XT2....

Good luck with your new camera! :-))

*https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/PowerShot/EVF-DC2-versus-EVF-DC1/td-p/200907

Thanks.

The aspect I was most concerned about was how my right hand gripping the camera would interact with my cheek and nose, when my eye is up to the finder. I'm a left-eyed shooter, and so there's a lot of nose to get in the way. My current camera with the least noseway is the SL1, which works great for me, nosewise. I was pleasantly surprised that the even-smaller M5 works for me, too.

Apr 11, 2017 at 02:09 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.