New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

replace the battery of Quantum SC

Bubble
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · replace the battery of Quantum SC

i have the Quantum SC for couple years already. It served us well during our busy wedding season. The battery now doesn't seem to charge up anymore. Is anyone know anywhere that will replace the battery inside beside sending back to Quantum?

Thanks in advance.

AP

Apr 11, 2017 at 06:03 AM
d831
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · replace the battery of Quantum SC

The SC uses a NiMH battery - the older models were lead acid and a bit easier to come by. Do you have a Batteries Plus store near you? Might be a long shot, but worth checking out...

Apr 11, 2017 at 08:01 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · replace the battery of Quantum SC

I've had a couple done in the UK with higher capacity batteries at realistic cost. They work better than the originals :-)

Apr 11, 2017 at 09:18 PM
EA6B
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · replace the battery of Quantum SC

They replaced a battery on my Turbo, no issues.

E

Apr 17, 2017 at 05:11 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · replace the battery of Quantum SC

EA6B wrote:
They replaced a battery on my Turbo, no issues.

E

who are they?

Apr 17, 2017 at 05:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EA6B
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · replace the battery of Quantum SC

Quantum Instruments.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:22 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · replace the battery of Quantum SC

I would suggest Warehouse Battery Outlet, 33 S. 14th St, Quakertown, PA 18951. (800) 953 -6664. They have replaced/rebuilt numerous battery packs for me, mostly Lumedynes, over the last 3 decades. Their prices are quite reasonable and their service and quality excellent. Most of the batteries in packs like the Quantum and Lumedyne are actually a collection of sub-C NiCad cells wired together in series. Newer models may be metal hydride or Li-ion, but still cells wired in series. If you are handy, you can do it yourself.

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:13 AM
TooManyShots
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · replace the battery of Quantum SC

Is not that hard. I repacked my own battery cells on my Lumedyne Mega Cycler. Under $100 including buying a 100w solder iron and the solder and the flux. The flux is needed to ensure better heat distribution. You don't want too much heat being built up during soldering because it would damage the battery.

You need to open up your battery pack and to examine how it is being connected. The good thing about DIY is that you can choose which battery you want. I ended up using the best...Panasonic Sanyo 1800 mha, sub c size NiCAD battery. About $5 or $6 each. Needed 9 of them. Lumedyne would repack for me but is $190 and I am not even sure what batteries they are planning to use.

The new battery pack works great. A single charge lasts forever, about a month of shooting if I keep my flash power low, around 1/16, over 3k shots total for the entire month.

DSC_7281_006 by vracing, on Flickr

Jul 28, 2017 at 02:40 AM
FIGTREES
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · replace the battery of Quantum SC

I just had a couple done at Batteries Plus in Paramus NJ. The cost was $48. So far it seems to work well. I have used them on a few weddings and still had 3 indicator lights after about 500-600 shots.

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:48 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · replace the battery of Quantum SC

if every thing else doesnthave problems m you have two choices.

1) do it your self. I get in to this later.

2)send it to qtr. and pay four or more times the cost to do it yourself.

Note on how to do it your self.

find out current battery number and I don't mean sc.
ff Ince you find your battery model number then go on the internet search for your battery weed thru the chaff.
ind a replacement battery that will fit the dimensions of you battery's hole. order it. when it arrives compare to your battery looking closely to the hight, width and depth of both. then look at the connections it they are terminals on both you got it made unplugging one wire at a time plug the new battery in the old battery repeat with each wire until completed , if no terminals then wire to wire using the best you knowbst being wapping and solder with heat shrink or tape. worst being swedgr on connectors then put it back together charge and see how you did. if it want charge reinstall old battery and send to qtm. if you can't handle this then nd it to qtr from the start.

Jul 31, 2017 at 06:30 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password