Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Did Kirk send me the wrong L-bracket for my 1dx2?

Ming-Tzu
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Did Kirk send me the wrong L-bracket for my 1dx2?

I've only used RRS l-brackets in the past. The L-bracket I purchased for the 5d4 fit like the RRS one, where the side is flush on the body. However, when I put on the Kirk L-bracket for the 1dx2, it fits very oddly. See pictures below.

Note that I've never owned a 1D camera so is this how it's supposed to fit?

One other note about the Kirk brackets is that it's unfortunate that there is no secondary safety feature, where the camera strap holder slides into the L-bracket like how RRS does it.

Apr 10, 2017 at 09:01 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Did Kirk send me the wrong L-bracket for my 1dx2?

If you are anything like me I'd return it - I don't like being unhappy with gear.

Apr 10, 2017 at 09:05 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Did Kirk send me the wrong L-bracket for my 1dx2?

Did you check the part number engraved on it? It looks like the rubber doors are quite wide on the camera left side and one section of the A-S base is splitting the difference. I'm not sure what else can be done other than having the base farther out to the left to allow for cables and open doors, but that creates a different issue of excessive width and less stability for verticals. Pick your poison.

EBH

Apr 10, 2017 at 09:10 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Did Kirk send me the wrong L-bracket for my 1dx2?

Paul Mo wrote:
If you are anything like me I'd return it - I don't like being unhappy with gear.

I'd have very little gear with that philosophy.

EBH

Apr 10, 2017 at 09:11 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Did Kirk send me the wrong L-bracket for my 1dx2?

I have an open question out to Kirk but wanted to reach out here too. I would've assumed that the bracket hole would be wide enough to cover both columns on the camera side. Plus, it looks super weird to have the bracket protruding out in the front.

I wasn't sure if this was how it should normally look or not. The L-bracket model number on the Kirk website is the same for both the 1dx and 1dx2.

Apr 10, 2017 at 09:16 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Did Kirk send me the wrong L-bracket for my 1dx2?

Looking at the pictures of the bracket with the 1dx, this is how it's supposed to fit, which is odd looking but at least I know I received the right product.

Will probably keep it because the RRS bracket also has the front protruding out a bit.

Apr 10, 2017 at 09:19 PM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Did Kirk send me the wrong L-bracket for my 1dx2?

The Arca Swiss width is fixed. To allow access to both rows of connections it has to sit, centered on one row or the other. The RRS has the same configuration.

RRS Plate

Apr 10, 2017 at 09:23 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Did Kirk send me the wrong L-bracket for my 1dx2?

Ming-Tzu wrote:
I have an open question out to Kirk but wanted to reach out here too. I would've assumed that the bracket hole would be wide enough to cover both columns on the camera side. Plus, it looks super weird to have the bracket protruding out in the front.

I wasn't sure if this was how it should normally look or not. The L-bracket model number on the Kirk website is the same for both the 1dx and 1dx2.

The bracket hole width is limited by the A-S standard width and it makes sense to have the bracket towards the front for better balance with a mounted lens.

EBH

Apr 10, 2017 at 09:25 PM
EA6B
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Did Kirk send me the wrong L-bracket for my 1dx2?

FYI, I've had nothing but the best service from KES. They will get back to you. Sent in a BH-1 with the older clamp and they replaced the clamp with the newer version, all for no charge! I wasn't even the original owner of the BH-1!

E

Apr 11, 2017 at 07:38 PM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Did Kirk send me the wrong L-bracket for my 1dx2?

I have the Kirk bracket on my 1Dx II, just move it away from the body about 1/8 of an inch so the rubber doors open and close and your in business.

Apr 12, 2017 at 04:39 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Did Kirk send me the wrong L-bracket for my 1dx2?

Ming-Tzu wrote:
I have an open question out to Kirk but wanted to reach out here too. I would've assumed that the bracket hole would be wide enough to cover both columns on the camera side.

If that were the case, how would you put it into the tripod clamp? It would be way too wide. The width of the clamp dictates the width of the bracket. Once that is fixed, it needs to be put over the rubber covers so that they can be opened. This results in the "odd" shape.

Think about how they would have to make the bracket to fit into the secondary loop for the strap, too. It would have to be yuuuge on a 1D body. BTW, they don't do it on the 5D4 anymore, either.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:12 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.