1       2       3              5      
       end

Selling On Fred Miranda

jbregar
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Selling On Fred Miranda

molson wrote:
If you read those posts on Page 3 and missed that, I'm afraid I can't help you.

In other words, you can't actually point to an example to support your straw man. Got it.

Apr 22, 2017 at 01:51 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Selling On Fred Miranda

jbregar wrote:
In other words, you can't actually point to an example to support your straw man. Got it.

Here...

It is easier and less confusing for the buyer to have a single price. Say $300, all in. Whether shipping is $17.50 + $2.5 signature confirmation and then PP fee is 3% and packaging is $2 for the box and 1.5 for the tape and peanuts and...who cares? Only the seller...the buyer in his mind says $300, lens in-front of me in 5-6 days, end of story.

and here...

Quote one price, so no one is doing any math and there's less chance of any "miscommunication" or "confusion".

Apr 22, 2017 at 02:18 PM
ngaio
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Selling On Fred Miranda

jbregar wrote:
Except you absolutely can distinguish price-wise between payment methods.

You just can't surcharge PayPal users and still accept PayPal within their rules (that you agree to when you sign up to use PayPal).

So, make your asking price include PayPal fees and offer a discount to those paying in some other fee-free manner.

It's easy... and you get to keep your integrity.

Discount / surchage: six of one, half a dozen of the other.

And we circle back to the same point: you're asking the entire B&S community to adjust its practices to suit one corporate body. A PayPal executive reading this would no doubt be chuffed. More profit and mindshare for them.

Apr 22, 2017 at 05:36 PM
macentropist
• • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Selling On Fred Miranda

I am of the opinion that clear concise communication in an original post trumps all, and i most always include shipping cost for CONUS, and after trying both with and without paypal fees, i just eat them and adjust accordingly. I do not ask for gift option, nor will i usually pay that method. Nothing is free, and it it is, the value diminishes exponentially, profit is good, usually for all involved.

Definately no rocket science involved here, whether i am a buyer, seller, no difference...

Do unto others, works well to date. FM is still the best place to buy or sell, no one else comes close.

If it smells bad, the radar catches it.

Brian

Apr 22, 2017 at 06:15 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Selling On Fred Miranda

ngaio wrote:
Discount / surchage: six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Except according to the agreement YOU AGREE TO when signing up for and continuing to use PayPal one is allowed and the other is not.

Listen, I'm all for sticking it to the man and not being a slave to corporate interests, but do it with some honesty and integrity or you're just being dishonest. Don't accept PayPal. Do it right.

Agreeing to an agreement and then willfully breaking that agreement is no different than a corporate client buying rights to use your photo in a brochure and then using it for their web site and business cards too without asking you or providing additional compensation. There was an agreement in place and one party decided to break the agreement to their benefit because they thought they could get away with it. In some ways this PayPal thing is WORSE because you all know you're breaking an agreement and a lot of usage breaches are unintentional.

I bet most would scream bloody murder if that happened to them. That's called hypocrisy.

Apr 23, 2017 at 02:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jbregar
• • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Selling On Fred Miranda

Ask, I think there's a big diffeeence between someone being "confused" about pricing and someone advocating simpler pricing so it's "less confusing."

No one's going to be confused about sliding scale shipping based on location if those locations are well defined and communicated clearly like I said.

That said, including shipping into the price does make your item more appealing to a lot of buyers because it's more straightforward. If it didn't work, then if online retailers wouldn't all use it.

Apr 23, 2017 at 02:09 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Selling On Fred Miranda

jbregar wrote:
Except according to the agreement YOU AGREE TO when signing up for and continuing to use PayPal one is allowed and the other is not.

Listen, I'm all for sticking it to the man and not being a slave to corporate interests, but do it with some honesty and integrity or you're just being dishonest. Don't accept PayPal. Do it right.

Agreeing to an agreement and then willfully breaking that agreement is no different than a corporate client buying rights to use your photo in a brochure and then using it for their web site and business cards too without
...Show more

State laws disallowing surcharges for credit cards was recently ruled unconstitutional by a US district court; it's pending appeal to the Supreme Court. What's worse, those laws came about due to intense lobbying by the financial industry (pay to play campaign contributions) since it serves their interest to conceal their vig on transactions. What's worse still is that the credit-card fees those surcharges are meant to cover came about through anti-competitive behavior in the industry, which was further reinforced through that same corruption campaign contribution process.

All that said, as a personal matter I abide by Paypal's surcharge listing rules for the reasons you listed. Even if those rules are illegal

Apr 23, 2017 at 02:38 PM
ngaio
• •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Selling On Fred Miranda

A sacred American cultural norm is freedom; closely associated with it are power and independence. Individualism is also practiced here to a striking degree. It's no surprise that Canon named their breakthrough camera the "Rebel" in North America, unlike the rest of the world, where it was the 300D, or in the case of Japan, the "Kiss Digital".

Speaking with my foreigner hat firmly on, I find it both amusing and bemusing to observe how hasty Americans are to sacrifice at the corporate altar their sacred value freedom.

When the U.S. votes to decisively limit the power of state and Federal government to regulate, they are in fact voting to make themselves regulatable by the larger moneyed interests. But few pause to think this through, thanks to intense media propaganda. And to dig the knife in further, in the U.S. eliminating protections from being poisoned or shafted by corporations is called freedom from burdensome regulation.

So here we are in our little FM community, a place were people of good will come to share their love of photography, only to hear voices asking us to march in lockstep with the PayPal overlords. So much for community and freedom.

But what about following the rules, as jbregar asserts? He is not wrong to do so. But here we must ask what that means in practice, as a form of practical reason. In the words of the brilliant social scientist Pierre Bourdieu, "What is required is not that one do absolutely everything that one should, but rather that one at least give indications of trying to do so. Social agents are not expected to be perfectly in order, but rather to observe order, to give visible signs that, if they can, they will respect the rules".

Bourdieu is absolutely correct. Read buy and sell member feedback members give each other and that is precisely what you'll find being honored: members making a visible effort to observe the rules, not perfectly, but practically and with dignity with respect to the shared norms of the FM community. How many times do you find someone giving feedback where they decried the seller for failing to distinguish between a PayPal surcharge and a PayPal discount? I suggest it's rare, and for good reason.

Apr 23, 2017 at 06:48 PM
John Power
• • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Selling On Fred Miranda

"When the U.S. votes to decisively limit the power of state and Federal government to regulate, they are in fact voting to make themselves regulatable by the larger moneyed interests. But few pause to think this through, thanks to intense media propaganda. And to dig the knife in further, in the U.S. eliminating protections from being poisoned or shafted by corporations is called freedom from burdensome regulation. "

OMG. This thread has spun out of control I thought it was about issues relating to asking for paypal fees and shipping on the B/S forum. Now we are entertained with quotes from a "brilliant social scientist" no-one has ever heard of. How about renaming the thread title "The political ramifications of selling a Canon 50 1.8 lens on the B/S forum."

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:38 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password