New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Selling On Fred Miranda

dantewaters
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling On Fred Miranda

So I am selling a lens on here and was asking for a certain amount then the buyer tells me he wants $50 off we go back and forth a bit then I give in.

He sends payment and doesn't do net to me so I end up with even less. I tell him to send the balance he sends $20 still with a PayPal fee so in the end I end up with less.

I go back and forth with him for and I am ensuring him I am not upset I just want to receive what we agreed on... He says he is upset I then ask him what he wants to do.

He says keep the money or do a refund if you aren't happy. Question is what would you do?

Edited on Apr 11, 2017 at 01:37 AM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2017 at 01:17 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling On Fred Miranda

Does he have the lens? How much will you be out overall?

Apr 11, 2017 at 01:20 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling On Fred Miranda

You should specify the net price when you message back and forth to avoid confusion.

Apr 11, 2017 at 01:21 AM
dantewaters
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling On Fred Miranda

I have the lens I haven't shipped yet.

I will be out $34 I am more pushing the principle not so much how much I am not getting.

Apr 11, 2017 at 01:21 AM
3catsinky
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Selling On Fred Miranda

no reason to take the loss, send the money back, and make him resend it in a way you get what you need net, or sell it to someone else.

Apr 11, 2017 at 01:29 AM
dantewaters
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Selling On Fred Miranda

Right I suspect because of his anger he may complain after the sale and find fault with the item.

Apr 11, 2017 at 01:31 AM
jazz62

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Selling On Fred Miranda

3catsinky wrote:
no reason to take the loss, send the money back, and make him resend it in a way you get what you need net, or sell it to someone else.

Very simply this ^

Apr 11, 2017 at 01:51 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Selling On Fred Miranda

3catsinky wrote:

This.

There are way too many idiots frequenting the Buy & Sell board these days... makes me wish I hadn't wasted the money renewing my subscription.

Apr 11, 2017 at 01:58 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Selling On Fred Miranda

dantewaters wrote:
So I am selling a lens on here and was asking for a certain amount then the buyer tells me he wants $50 off we go back and forth a bit then I give in.

He sends payment and doesn't do net to me so I end up with even less. I tell him to send the balance he sends $20 still with a PayPal fee so in the end I end up with less.

I go back and forth with him for and I am ensuring him I am not upset I just want to receive what we agreed on... He
...Show more

Did you specify to begin with that you expected them to add a certain percentage for PayPal fee, or else send it as gift?

It's very important to be clear. People are used in eBay etc. to the price being inclusive of fees.
In fact I think that's the way to go. Quote a price that includes the Paypal fee, and offer a *discount* for other methods.

Apr 11, 2017 at 01:59 AM
EA6B
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Selling On Fred Miranda

Send the money back and move on. Don't waste your time any more than you already have.

E

Apr 11, 2017 at 02:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dantewaters
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Selling On Fred Miranda

Thanks Guys I did it a little while ago now I am back to square one.

Apr 11, 2017 at 03:30 AM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Selling On Fred Miranda

Also check this link out: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/boardrules.htm
Under FAQ: "All items MUST have a price."

This will avoid some issues, especially if you make it clear if the price does or does not include paypal fees and shipping.

Apr 11, 2017 at 04:11 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Selling On Fred Miranda

I think you did right to refund the money. I would never push a sale with a disagreement. Both should agree on all details. As noted above, it is against the rules of the forum to not state a price on your adds. Also, I think the way you have your wording also may contribute to the confusion on the fees.
"Final price will be net to me (PayPal)" I think you should clearly state that the paypal fees are paid by the buyer if that is your intention. "Final price will be net to me (Any PayPal fees will be paid by buyer). That way there is no misunderstanding. You might also offer for a well established buyer to send you a check and wait for it to clear if you both want to avoid fees.

Good luck on reselling your lens.

Apr 11, 2017 at 06:15 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Selling On Fred Miranda

dantewaters wrote:
I have the lens I haven't shipped yet.

I will be out $34 I am more pushing the principle not so much how much I am not getting.

If there is a principle involved, stand on your principle. If it's possible there is a misunderstanding give them the benefit of the doubt. Not everybody is out to screw you. But...... it's a jungle out there.

Apr 11, 2017 at 06:18 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Selling On Fred Miranda

A suggestion. I always list the price as "$xxx, I pay PP and shipping." This prevents any confusion about what the buyer will pay. I see many listing that say "so many $$$ you pay the PP bite." This makes no sense. Why set oneself up for even the potential for disagreement/confusion? I set my price (1) at what the equipment seems to be selling for, and (2) Make it inclusive of all fees and shipping. No confusion. Sure, sometimes I don't get what I ask for and end up with less than I'd hoped, but that is the nature of a market. Your price for a thing and its perceived value (and thus sale price) are not the same.

FWIW I've never had any problems with buyers or sellers. If someone sent me less than the agreed on price, I'd check with them to see if it was an honest mistake. (You have your PMs right there.) If they didn't wish to come thru on the agreed price, I'd just return the money and say sorry for the confusion.

Robert

Apr 11, 2017 at 04:10 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Selling On Fred Miranda

OntheRez wrote:
A suggestion. I always list the price as "$xxx, I pay PP and shipping." This prevents any confusion about what the buyer will pay. I see many listing that say "so many $$$ you pay the PP bite." This makes no sense. Why set oneself up for even the potential for disagreement/confusion? I set my price (1) at what the equipment seems to be selling for, and (2) Make it inclusive of all fees and shipping. No confusion. Sure, sometimes I don't get what I ask for and end up with less than I'd hoped, but that is the nature
...Show more

^Agree.

The fee using PP is a given, and what this means is also pretty easy to calculate for both sides, but the seller has the higher incentive to make it easier for the buyer to make up his mind, not the other way around.

It is easier and less confusing for the buyer to have a single price. Say $300, all in. Whether shipping is $17.50 + $2.5 signature confirmation and then PP fee is 3% and packaging is $2 for the box and 1.5 for the tape and peanuts and...who cares? Only the seller...the buyer in his mind says $300, lens in-front of me in 5-6 days, end of story.

If now the buyer wants to barter you to $250, then the ball is in his court and you can counter and say, "Sure, $250 but with PP gift or $250 + 3% fee etc, but this is part of the PM exchange. Nothing is a given or implied beyond what is written / mentioned for the buyer...

Apr 11, 2017 at 04:44 PM
dantewaters
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Selling On Fred Miranda

So is it wrong to post and ask for offers rather than posting a price?

Apr 11, 2017 at 05:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Selling On Fred Miranda

dantewaters wrote:

To me, this is crystal clear.

Thorsten wrote:
Also check this link out: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/boardrules.htm
Under FAQ: "All items MUST have a price."

Apr 11, 2017 at 05:27 PM
dantewaters
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Selling On Fred Miranda

Ok got it let me take that change now.

Apr 11, 2017 at 05:28 PM
grog13
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Selling On Fred Miranda

dantewaters wrote:

An item can't be listed without a price, but you can always state that you'll consider reasonable offers. However, the offers you're likely to get may not be what you consider reasonable. As another poster stated above, I always find it better to list a price that includes shipping & PP fees, and just realize that you may have to settle for a bit less than your initial asking price. And if a prospective buyer seems unreasonable in any way, just walk away. I always check feedback and posts of a potential buyer before even responding to their initial PM.
When I first began buying & selling on FM (maybe about 2008) gear almost always sold quickly at a reasonable price (for both parties) without hassle. Now I find it much more common to first get lowball offers, usually from folks with zero feedback (often just registered), then a longer wait for a reasonable buyer, ultimately at a lower price.
It ain't what it used to be, but still beats heck out of e-bay.

Apr 11, 2017 at 05:39 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password