New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

New Studio Construction, considering cyclorama wall

ferradas
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Studio Construction, considering cyclorama wall

Hi guys,

I'll be starting construction on a new photography studio space in Santa Clara, CA. The space itself is 35' by 30' ft with very high ceilings.

I'm looking into the backdrop and have the options on building either a cyc wall or a rounded wall not using the corner as the cyc would. I know that he cyc wall will be more expensive and labor intensive to complete than the straight wall.

I'm trying to decide what would the advantage be on the cyc wall to go that route. I have a decent budget but want to see how far I can stretch it.

I can building the flat wall about 26ft across so I have plenty of space to shoot wide. Do you I really want a cyc? Will it attract more clients to come and rent the studio? Are cyc walls more tailored for green screen and video? We don't mind adding video services but we are very limited in that we are right next to a major airport so that would deter video clients needing to record sounds so i wouldn't want to build a cyc just for video sake.

I appreciate and suggestions if and why a cyc would be more advantageous for me, or not.

Thanks!!

Paul

Apr 10, 2017 at 08:37 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Studio Construction, considering cyclorama wall

My last studio had a corner cyc - about twenty feet on one side and twenty-six on the other. My current space I don't have the cyc, but it's less necessary with advanced digital techniques than it used to be. The huge advantage of a corner cyc over a straight wall is that you have, in effect, a much longer wall straight wall - to the left and right when shooting into the corner. This is a lifesaver for larger groups of people or large products, and only sometimes makes the lighting more complicated. Basically, you almost never run out of wall with a corner cyc but you will often even with a 26' straight wall.

Make sure you use a five foot radius if at all possible. Makes for much smoother shadow transitions. Good luck. You'll love it when it's done.

Apr 11, 2017 at 06:31 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Studio Construction, considering cyclorama wall

I take it this is a rental place?
If so, first thing I'd be looking at is how many other rental places around you have a Cyc. If it's every 2nd place, then I'd be considering something else I could do to offer what the others couldn't or only had limited availability.
If no one has one first I'd be asking why to see if there is a demand for them or not?

Maybe you'd be better off putting in a large Kitchen area or a wet shooting area or something else unique and different. To a degree, doesn't even matter that much if it gets used or not. If your space gets remembered because of it and you are the first name that comes to mind in your area.... job done!

I Would suggest the question to be asking was more along the lines of " what do you find lacking in studio spaces in the SC area and what facilities would you like and are important to you?"

If you get a bunch of people saying " I have been looking everywhere for a studio with a Jelly wrestling Pit I can shoot at" thats what I'd be putting in and forgetting the Cyc!

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:12 AM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Studio Construction, considering cyclorama wall

Cycs are labor intensive, they need to be repainted often. Sometime they need repainting after every shoot. And the client is billed for the repaint.

If a client wants a green cyc, just paint it green. After they are done, repaint it white. Client pays for both paint jobs.

Styles come and go. Are limbo backgrounds popular now Not in my neck-of-the-woods.

Here in Orange County, CA, low end rental studios have a short life. They last about as long as their lease. Do you have any plans to attract photographers with real budgets, and real money to spend?

Apr 12, 2017 at 06:04 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password