FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

elkhornsun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

I care mostly about autofocus performance in low light and high ISO performance for photographing weddings. I also want two cameras that provide options for pro level video recording and are durable and not likely to fail during an event.

With this in mind I would go with the D850 and the MB-D18 battery pack and vertical grip instead of the D5 or any Canon cameras as being the best option at this time for wedding photography. Even at APS-C crop the D850 provides a 20MP image and at full frame it can provide three different RAW file sizes which is very handy. One can use the 25MP RAW for general shooting and go for the full 45MP file size when shooting group photos and the like where more detail is important.

D850 has the same new autofocus system that was introduced with the D5 and D500 cameras which is unsurpassed at this time for low light autofocus with f/2.8 zoom lenses. It also supports full frame 4K video and the Nikon D850 as with the D810 provides HDMI out to an external device like the Ninja Blade for capturing video and high fidelity sound.

Native ISO for the D850 goes from ISO 64 which is great when shooting in bright sunlight and wanting fill flash, all the way to Native 25,600 ISO for shooting by candlelight.

I shot with Nikon from 2001 to 2005 when I switched to Canon and 1Ds Mark III to get higher usable ISO. Problems with autofocus issues with the 1Ds Mark III for a full year and having to send the cameras into Canon for the latest autofocus fix along with the arrival in 2007 of the first full frame pro level DSLR, the D3 along with the stellar 14-24mm f/28 and superior 24-70mm f/2.8 (many Canon shooters at the time preferred the Tamron 28-75nmm which provided more reliable autofocus than the Canon L lens) from Nikon made it an easy decision to switch back to Nikon. The icing on the cake so to speak was the introduction of the 5:4 crop so my image files could be directly converted to files for 8x10 prints with no cropping needed which made it fast to do batch processing of the files from an event.

One area where there are advantages with Canon is the much greater third party accessories for video and the greater number of Cine lenses. But if I was going that deep into video it would make a lot more sense to get a true camcorder like the Canon C200 or the new Panasonic AU-EVA1. By the time you add a cage and monitor and mic mount and other bits and bobs to a DSLR you have spent nearly as much and have a much less functional video shooting rig and one that is nowhere near as balanced for use for hours at a wedding.

Something I have found beneficial is to use one full frame camera with my two wide angle zooms and a APS-C camera with the 70-200mm f/2.8. Easy to do this with two D850 cameras and have one set for APS-C crop and at the same time serving as a full frame backup to the primary D850 camera.

For detail shots I use the 24-70mm with a 77mm +4 Closeup lens threaded on. Works well enough and takes no space in a pocket of my camera bag to have it available. For bridal portrait and getting ready and engagement sessions my favorite lens is the unique to Nikon 105mm f/2.0 DC lens. I can have blurred backgrounds AND blurred foregrounds and do this at f/4 so the subject is sharp. With Nikon I get the 14-24mm f/2.8 lens that is as sharp as any prime in its range and I want f/2.8 for low light autofocus performance. The f/4 lenses do not perform nearly as well for fast low light autofocus.

Less can be more and when I need only the 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 105 DC, and the Closeup lens to cover a wedding it makes for a lighter kit that still does it all superbly.

Sep 13, 2017 at 09:52 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password