FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2017 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

juvx
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

evertdoorn wrote:
If you'd go Canon I would suggest 2x 5D IV, with grip if you like larger size. IMO they are more than fast enough for weddings and better value than the 1DX II for this type of work. Plus, they might get a very nice video upgrade soon thru firmware making it a much improved 4k video setup.

I really dont want 2 of the same body.. I see absolutly no advantage in that personally. I had that before and one of them rarely got used. I want 2 bodies that compliment each other.

I've been thinking about maybe a 5d mk IV and Sony a7r II combo.

Apr 11, 2017 at 08:34 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

Body wise do what you need to do.....
Funny you list no wide angle lenses especially for run and gun style.

Also ... no primes in the 50-90mm range.

16-35mm (nikon/canon/whatever)on fly-around is sweet.

-Mark

Apr 11, 2017 at 08:40 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

juvx wrote:

You're not understanding

In your proposed situation, if the 5D4 body goes down, it's going to take all your Canon gear with it (lenses, flashes, accessories).

And with the firmware update to the 5D4, I'm not sure the A7RII is worth the premium you're paying (again, factoring in lenses and accessories).

If you're just a solo person doing this, I'd figure out if you want to do video or stills and go from there. The mix-match of offerings and gear is going to be tough to manage.

Apr 11, 2017 at 08:41 AM
juvx
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

I have 85 1.4 in both setups. It's my most used lens.
I'll eventually get a wide angle as well. For now 24mm on 24-70 will do.

For certain parts of the wedding i shoot a 35 1.4 and 85 1.4 prime combo. Like the getting ready.

Ziffl3 wrote:
Body wise do what you need to do.....
Funny you list no wide angle lenses especially for run and gun style.

Also ... no primes in the 50-90mm range.
I have 85 1.4 in both setups.
16-35mm (nikon/canon/whatever)on fly-around is sweet.

-Mark

Apr 11, 2017 at 09:07 AM
juvx
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

That's true. I currently have a Nikon d7200 as backup so I'd be ok. If I went Canon I'd definitely sell it and get a 80D as a backup / 3rd body.

Like I said there are advantages to both setups. My criteria is both cameras need to have 4K video and one needs to be fast and one High Megapixel. If the 5DSR had 4K video and features the 5D mk IV has I'd probably go with a 1Dx II and 5DSR. That would be my ideal setup honestly.

ZachOly wrote:
You're not understanding

In your proposed situation, if the 5D4 body goes down, it's going to take all your Canon gear with it (lenses, flashes, accessories).

And with the firmware update to the 5D4, I'm not sure the A7RII is worth the premium you're paying (again, factoring in lenses and accessories).

If you're just a solo person doing this, I'd figure out if you want to do video or stills and go from there. The mix-match of offerings and gear is going to be tough to manage.

Apr 11, 2017 at 09:13 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

ZachOly wrote:
You're not understanding

Even with the new firmware update, the 5D4 video is truly atrocious to work with.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:35 AM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

mikethevilla is making all the right arguments for your situation. I'm a Nikon shooter who runs away from video. If I had to do video, I'd jump ship for Canon and Sony.

Apr 11, 2017 at 02:00 PM
juvx
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

I have revised my list and added reasoning after each item.

Apr 11, 2017 at 03:38 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

I have to say .. I was less than impressed with the sigma lenses from an af perspective and I won't buy them now. I'd save on bodies and get canon lenses. Theres likely to be a canon 85 1.4 soon I believe.

I have a 5d4 main and 5d3 backup - that works well. You could add in a Sony for video and use the money you save for lenses.

That's what I'd do

Good luck!

Apr 11, 2017 at 04:12 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

I see the Sony 7s / Canon glass combo for video, often.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:29 PM
InSanE
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

For weddings we much prefer monopods to tripods, Sirui is much better here than Manfroto.

Also your list is seriously lacking:
lighting gear, both photo and video
you need two cameras for photo
and two cameras for video

Recomended
Photo
2x Nikon d750 + grips + extra batteries
24-120 f4
35 1.8
85 1.8
4 x Godox v860II + extra batteries
monopod
2x light stands
softbox
large shoothrough umrella

Video
2 x Sony cameras to taste + extra batteries
Lenses based on cameras (we use proper video cameras FS7)
2 x Rode mics
Action cam + mounts + extra batteries
monopod + tripod + gimbal
sound recorder + lav mic
lighting gear to taste, more the better

large cards, buy 128 gb ones, at least 8
walkie talkies are great when doing both photo/video
etc... sure I missed lots

Apr 12, 2017 at 02:28 AM
3catsinky
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

Me thinks you are spending WAY too much to get back in the game. You can make do well with an A7R2 and a couple of A6500s. Go all Sony, and you could probably spend less than 12K on what you'd need. The a6500 is no slouch when it comes to fast action shooting for wedding photos. Paired with the Sigma 18-35, it's quite the tool for both photo and video. Make sure you account for lights, audio recorders, tripods, a gimbal, maybe a drone, monopods.

I do both, use a pair of A7r2s for photo, and the A6500 and A6300 for video.

Apr 12, 2017 at 06:00 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

juvx wrote:
I really dont want 2 of the same body.. I see absolutly no advantage in that personally. I had that before and one of them rarely got used. I want 2 bodies that compliment each other.

Ok, got it. I prefer it because those bodies can be set exactly the same so they operate the same too. A 1DX II is no compliment if you don't need the sheer speed of the thing; in that case an A7R II would be very nice perhaps!

Apr 12, 2017 at 06:24 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

BTW, I like the Crane — but wish it had 5th axis stabilization. You have to be skilled using it to not see footsteps. Not as idiot-proof as an Osmo Pro.

Apr 12, 2017 at 08:08 AM
juvx
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

LeeSimms wrote:
BTW, I like the Crane — but wish it had 5th axis stabilization. You have to be skilled using it to not see footsteps. Not as idiot-proof as an Osmo Pro.

The Osmo pro is pretty cool but id rather spend 650$ on the crane and use a bigger sensor.

If I only shot video i'd definatly have it in my toolkit. Probably a inspire 2 drone instead of my phantom 4 too.

Apr 12, 2017 at 01:31 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

We do our video work with our D750s and now D850 but we'll probably have to start investing in Sony gear if we truly intend to get in the video game seriously.

Good thread.

Sep 11, 2017 at 03:15 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

I've shot both Canon and Nikon for a living and we have people that shoot on our team using both. General thoughts:

- User friendliness: Canon advantage
- Build quality: Slight Canon advantage
- Image Quality: BIG Nikon advantage

Overall, I use Nikon for the image quality. The other things make me miss Canon a little bit, but the image quality is king to me. Nikon seems more proactive about addressing their weaknesses and shows the most resolve toward pleasing their consumers. I'd choose Nikon considering those things.

Sep 11, 2017 at 03:47 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

It's hard to imagine anyone shooting a wedding with a 5D4 rig would feel deficient in any way. The camera does everything right and nothing wrong.

That said, Canon seems to be suffering of an identity crisis lately. Nikon's charging ahead with headline grabbing momentum while Canon's still trying to perfect their 2013 cameras and the brand feels one step behind. But if you can't make a wedding look good on a 5D4, it's not the camera.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:02 AM
mb126
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

Honestly, this debate can never end because it depends so much on what and how you shoot.

Each system totally has its strengths. Until very recently Canon in general had better, cheaper lenses and Nikon had better, cheaper (for the same specs) bodies. Canon seems to have figured out how to get past their 2008-era DR and Nikon finally seems to offer lenses that compare well with their Canon counterparts like the new 24-70, new 70-200 FL. Nikon shooters just got radio-triggered OCF in the last year or two, correct?

These days, those gaps on both ends have closed significantly. But some still exist. If you want a 105 f/1.4 then you are SOL in Canon land. Likewise if you shoot a lot with 35mm f/1.4 the Canon is quite a bit better than the comparable Nikon.

However, this isn't to say there are no differences. I still prefer the colors from my 1DX ("Faithful" profile in LR = skin tone heaven) to the 5D4. So I can only imagine that Nikon sensors tend to produce quite a bit different color response.

Buy the system that will get the job done for you based on how and what you shoot.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:20 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

About an hour after my last post, this rant arrives on Petapixel ...

h ttps://petapixel.com/2017/09/12/dear-canon-happened-innovation/

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:14 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.