Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

juvx
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

Hi Ladies and Gents. I took a year long hiatus from my wedding photography / Videography business and sold everything.

Now it’s time to buy new gear again and start all over. I’m mostly shooting weddings and Various types of Portraits. I also do videography from time to time (commercials and weddings). And will defiantly need 4k capability AND 120 fps 1080p for slow-mo detail shots. My still to video ratio is about 70/30. But both are needed.

My budget is pretty high (without going medium format). $ 15k – 17k (since I’m operating as a business I’m able to write a lot of it off on my taxes next year) and I’ll be buying a lot of the gear used if possible.

I have selected these setups for specific reasons for my needs and the way I work. I know there are different, cheaper, maybe better setups but everything on my list has a purpose. If you’d like to give advice I’d love to hear it but no, I’m not using 2 x of the same body. (on purpose) Because throughout my years of shooting I’ve found that I don’t need that.. I’d much rather have two bodies that complement each other rather (high speed and high MP or speed and 4k video) than having the benefit of “muscle memory.” on the same body.

Please let me know if youd go with the Nikon/Sony or Canon setup. Please try to keep the votes unbiased, i dont give a rats sass as to what brand I use if it gets the job done.

Ive updated it with a Canon / Sony setup.

updated list

Edited on Apr 11, 2017 at 03:39 PM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2017 at 03:22 PM
jbregar
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

You're going to be a LOT happier with the video out of the Sony A7RII and A6500 than you will be the video out of the 1DXII and 5D Mark IV.

I'd throw the Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS APS-C lens in there to run on your A6500 on the Crane gimbal if I were you. That's what I run on mine most often and I find it gives A) great performance on the Crane and B) a nice cinematic look (vs. a slower zoom). It's also relatively cheap.

I'd also recommend the Sony 18-105mm f/4 G for video on the A6500 (or A7RII in S35 crop mode). It gives you a usable power zoom for that kind of shot.

You also don't have a price listed in there for the A6500, btw... so the Nikon/Sony setup should probably be an additional $1200-1400 (depending on how you procure the A6500).

I'm also not a huge fan of Manfrotto's video heads. Their sticks are ok, but I use Sachtler, Miller or Vinten for fluid heads... and they're FAR better for video use.

Edited on Apr 10, 2017 at 03:29 PM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2017 at 03:25 PM
juvx
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

jbregar wrote:
You're going to be a LOT happier with the video out of the Sony A7RII and A6500 than you will be the video out of the 1DXII and 5D Mark IV.

You also don't have a price listed in there for the A6500, btw... so the Nikon/Sony setup should probably be an additional $1200-1400 (depending on how you procure the A6500).

I know i left it on there by accident (a6500). I dont think ill buy it at first. Maybe 6 months in.

My only problem is when i watch videos shot on the 1dx II my jaw usually drops at the quailty i've seen... and that dual pixel AF... smooth as butter. I'm really torn.

if my ratio was different id go for a7s II for sure...

Apr 10, 2017 at 03:28 PM
juvx
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

jbregar wrote:

I'd throw the Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS APS-C lens in there to run on your A6500 on the Crane gimbal if I were you. That's what I run on mine most often and I find it gives A) great performance on the Crane and B) a nice cinematic look (vs. a slower zoom). It's also relatively cheap.

I'd also recommend the Sony 18-105mm f/4 G for video on the A6500 (or
...Show more

Thanks ! ill definatly look into those fluid heads.

Apr 10, 2017 at 03:32 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

I actually prefer the A6500 for video to the A7RII (I have both). It's 4K is amazingly sharp in 24fps... it's down-sampled from a 6K sample off of the imager, so it out-resolves pretty much everything else in the Sony lineup.

The 6300 uses the same scheme, it just lacks the 5-axis IBIS.

I used to be 100% Canon stuff. C100 Mk 2 for video, 7D2 and 5D3 for stills and b-cam. I loved the colors, but Canon stuff is so hopelessly behind on the video front, I eventually had to switch away. Now I'm running an FS5, A7RII, A6500 and RX100IV for cameras with all native e-mount glass and while I still miss the straight out of the camera color I could get off of my Canon stuff, I can get a look I like pretty easily with sLog and I have 4K on every camera if I need it.

And 42MP stills aren't a slouch either.

Apr 10, 2017 at 03:34 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

juvx wrote:
if my ratio was different id go for a7s II for sure...

Unless you need the extreme low-light capability from the A7SII (and most don't), the A7RII is better in every other way.

The A7RII lacks sLog3 as well, but sLog3 is a little grade-heavy for a 100Mb 4K codec anyway, so I lean toward sLog2 anyway.

Apr 10, 2017 at 03:35 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

If you are buying used get a D4 or D4s. No need for a D5 IMO. Also the D5 colors etc. are not quite as nice as the D4/s.
Video out of the D4/s should be great along side the A7r2.

IMO the photo output of the Sony and Nikon stuff is going to be better than the Canon stuff.
We could all argue...again...about this all day but that is just my preference. The Sony cams are freaking amazing.
If you got the A7r2 I would look at getting some Leica or Zeiss M mount glass to shoot with.
Techart makes a AF adapter that converts all manual focus Leica/Zeiss/Voigtlander/any M mount lens to autofocus on the A7r2.
I have heard nothing but good things about the techart adapter.
You would probably save some money and lots of lens size going that route instead of the Sony and Batis lenses.

Apr 10, 2017 at 03:40 PM
juvx
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

jbregar wrote:
I actually prefer the A6500 for video to the A7RII (I have both). It's 4K is amazingly sharp in 24fps... it's down-sampled from a 6K sample off of the imager, so it out-resolves pretty much everything else in the Sony lineup.

The 6300 uses the same scheme, it just lacks the 5-axis IBIS.

I used to be 100% Canon stuff. C100 Mk 2 for video, 7D2 and 5D3 for stills and b-cam. I loved the colors, but Canon stuff is so hopelessly behind on the video front, I eventually had to switch away. Now I'm running an FS5, A7RII, A6500 and RX100IV
...Show more

Im leaning to the Nikon Sony setup. The things holding me back are the Canon colors and dual pixel AF for my run and gun style.

Apr 10, 2017 at 03:41 PM
juvx
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

I'd prefer if both of my main bodies had 4K capability even if I use the D5 as a "B" cam for video.

hardlyboring wrote:
If you are buying used get a D4 or D4s. No need for a D5 IMO. Also the D5 colors etc. are not quite as nice as the D4/s.

IMO the photo output of the Sony and Nikon stuff is going to be better than the Canon stuff.
We could all argue...again...about this all day but that is just my preference. The Sony cams are freaking amazing.
If you got the A7r2 I would look at getting some Leica or Zeiss M mount glass to shoot with.
Techart
...Show more

Apr 10, 2017 at 03:54 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

Why not go all Sony?

Gordon

Apr 10, 2017 at 05:25 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

Why not go all Sony?

Gordon

Apr 10, 2017 at 05:25 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

My vote is that it's a bad idea to drop $15,000 based on an internet poll.

The single biggest factor here is how comfortable YOU are with the way each brand works. And that's not something that we'll be able to answer.

But since you're already soliciting random internet advice, I'll give you mine.

Having shot all three brands for a long time, the Nikon/Sony combo doesn't make any sense to me. I would take Nikon over Canon for stills any day, but of course, that's mostly personal preference. Nikon and Sony are extremely incompatible (relative to a Canon/Sony combo), and it seems like you doubling up on things for not as much gain. Sony is the undisputed king of video right now, so I think it makes a lot of sense to use them for your video needs - especially when taking value into consideration.

Canon is a bit weaker in the video department, but their lenses adapt so well to the Sony gear, that it makes an awful lot of sense to go with that combo. That's what most of the higher-end videographers in my area are doing.

The final option would be to go all Sony (I currently am). That's the cleanest and arguably best-quality way of going about all of it. But there are still some compromises on the stills side that you'll need to work around.

Apr 10, 2017 at 06:15 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

hardlyboring wrote:

Techart
...Show more

Here's some bad things: It's meh. The teacart adapter is ok for slow-moving portraits, or travel stuff, but that's about it. Often times I can manually focus faster. The Sony eye-focus is instant, smart, and incredibly accurate. Not a worthy substitute in my mind.

Apr 10, 2017 at 06:19 PM
juvx
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

Yeah i'm not using any adaptors... at all.. thats why it seems like i'm doubling up.. I've tried that on my old a7rII and metabones IV Canon lenses and it was super buggy. Made camera freeze, wasn't consistent, would randomly stop autofocuing, etc. When it worked it was fine.. but cant work like that. So either system id choose (Canon Nikon) i would have some double on my most used lenses. (24-70, 85)

The reason i don't go with full sony is simply due to speed. The a7rii is sluggish at times, buffer sucks and takes forever to write to the card... also, i NEED dual cards on my main stills camera. Battery life sucks but id probably use a grip. If I was doing just portraits id go with sony 100% But for weddings, i need more speed.

Apr 10, 2017 at 06:32 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

I'd ditch the 1D/D5 body and reassess without the accessories.

You're spreadsheet is all over the place.

Apr 10, 2017 at 06:42 PM
juvx
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

ZachOly wrote:
I'd ditch the 1D/D5 body and reassess without the accessories.

You're spreadsheet is all over the place.

Those bodies just fit me and my shooting style, speed. But i dont want two.

My philosophy is simple: One body is fast, one is high MP. I can cover pretty much everything I do.

On the Canon side if the 5DSR had 4k video i would have gone with that..

But after thinking a bit more.. Maybe i should go 1dx II and Sony a7r II.

Apr 10, 2017 at 06:50 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

Makes no sense to own one body in each brand.

Apr 10, 2017 at 06:57 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

Without knowing your business model, target markets and price point within those markets, it's Futile and pointless to make any equipment suggestions.

Without you doing a business plan, you are playing tiddly winks rather that setting up a serious business.

Apr 10, 2017 at 08:12 PM
juvx
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

glort wrote:
Without knowing your business model, target markets and price point within those markets, it's Futile and pointless to make any equipment suggestions.

Without you doing a business plan, you are playing tiddly winks rather that setting up a serious business.

I'm an established portrait and wedding photographer in the Houston texas area. For this market i am considered mid-level ($3500-8000 range depending on package). I took about 18 months off due to health reasons and now I'm rebooting the business. It is a LLC. In 2015 i shot 40 weddings. In 2014 i did 53.

The business is set up and running. I have clients booked starting June already.

I'm not worried about the business, I did ok in the past and i have budgeted between $15-17k for the reboot, I'm just looking for opinions as far as gear direction. Obviously the ultimate choice will be mine but its nice to listen to others maybe they will see a angle or detail that i missed. thanks.

Apr 10, 2017 at 08:50 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · High end Pro Nikon vs Canon Setup

If you'd go Canon I would suggest 2x 5D IV, with grip if you like larger size. IMO they are more than fast enough for weddings and better value than the 1DX II for this type of work. Plus, they might get a very nice video upgrade soon thru firmware making it a much improved 4k video setup.

Apr 11, 2017 at 01:53 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.