New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Tool Chest or Safe to lock camera gear at home

marsh9077

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tool Chest or Safe to lock camera gear at home

Save your money and the pain for moving a large gun safe every time you move if you are just using it to secure camera gear. Trust me I own a Liberty 35gun 90min (its almost 1,000lbs) safe that with delivery/install I'm sure I easily paid $3k for and I can honestly say I have never put any of my camera gear in it and I own a lot of camera gear being a wildlife guy.

The best thing to do is just leave your camera gear in the living room right in the open and call your insurance company up (I use State Farm just because the seem to have the best reputation for this kind of thing) and put all your camera gear and even your laptop on a Personal Artifacts Policy (PAP) I think I pay around $250 a year and have two 1dx2's, 500mm v2, 800mm, 200-400mm v2, and several smaller L prime lens. My PAP covers my gear for literally any kind of theft, fire, flood, damage, etc. anywhere in the world, its a $0 deductible and its a completely independent policy from my home or auto so if I file a PAP claim it does not affect my home of auto policy. For me the $250 a year is well worth it to have the peace of mind knowing that when I leave $35k worth of gear in a $20 a night hotel room in the middle of Indonesia its covered from theft.

Also just an FYI I think a majority of camera gear is stolen from car brake ins. A gun safe or tool box is not going to help you with this scenario, but insurance will.

Wow I just realized I really sound like an insurance sales men.

Apr 21, 2017 at 08:57 AM
tuantran
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tool Chest or Safe to lock camera gear at home

Buy a $200 or so safe that is big enough to hold your gear. Then slap some Nikon and Canon stickers on it. Get an empty printer/copier paper box. Put all your equipment in there.

When the thief come to your house, they will take away your safe leaving the paper box behind. How genius is that?

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:12 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.