Your comments and critiques welcome.

Steve

Central Park Biker

Apr 09, 2017 at 06:30 PM
Kevin T
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Central Park Biker

That's a cool shot. I don't need all that foreground personally but I like the texture of the trees.

Apr 09, 2017 at 08:46 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Central Park Biker

I like it, but if it were mine, I would either clone out or darken that light spot on the rock in front of him. It keeps drawing my eye away from him.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:11 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Central Park Biker

+1 with Kevin and Fred.

I'd look to crop somewhere below the white spot. That could re-balance the location of it (without burning it) to a lesser contrasting (i.e. not a bright spot in the middle of the large dark mass) position and using it for implied lines pointing toward the subject. Also, this gives a re-weighting to the cyclist for two birds, one stone kinda thing. A little burn could then tone it down some to balance it further to where you want it.

Without burn and with burn (I could go either way).

Imo, leaving it just a little brighter than the other "spots" provides for some movement that makes for keeping a bit of tension to refrain the image from going too static. Kinda makes a triangle between the subject, the foreground and the house and joins the "lesser" spots to "point the way" to the main player in the scene. Yet, with it relocated, it doesn't "hold" the draw as strongly as when it was "smack dab in the middle".

Actually, there's "much goodness" in this one with all the really subtle (implied and overt) lines, masses and tones in play. The uncropped OP is nice, just one of those good ones that can go multiple ways ... depending on how much / what you want to say (about the foreground) in your message conveyance.

Apr 10, 2017 at 06:30 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Central Park Biker

Nice.

Bob

Apr 10, 2017 at 07:23 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Central Park Biker

Kevin T wrote:
That's a cool shot. I don't need all that foreground personally but I like the texture of the trees.

thanks for your comments Kevin.

Steve

Apr 10, 2017 at 08:13 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Central Park Biker

Fred Amico wrote:
I like it, but if it were mine, I would either clone out or darken that light spot on the rock in front of him. It keeps drawing my eye away from him.

Thanks for pointing out that bright spot Fred. Will clone that out.

Steve

Apr 10, 2017 at 08:14 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Central Park Biker

RustyBug wrote:
+1 with Kevin and Fred.

I'd look to crop somewhere below the white spot. That could re-balance the location of it (without burning it) to a lesser contrasting (i.e. not a bright spot in the middle of the large dark mass) position and using it for implied lines pointing toward the subject. Also, this gives a re-weighting to the cyclist for two birds, one stone kinda thing. A little burn could then tone it down some to balance it further to where you want it.

Without burn and with burn (I could go either way).

Imo, leaving it just a little brighter
...Show more

Much to think about as usual in your post Kent. I used a sepia conversion in Nik silver effex pro. In retrospect, kind of agree that the conversion is somewhat flat. Much appreciate your illustrations.

Steve

Apr 10, 2017 at 08:17 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Central Park Biker

Bob Jarman wrote:
Nice.

Bob

Thanks Bob!

Steve

Apr 10, 2017 at 08:18 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Central Park Biker

Steve,

I like the more stretched out crop that Kent employed. I was playing around and was able to take even more from the right and use the bike/body to go from upper-left to lower-right diags.

To increase separation and reduce the flat feeling, I'd suggest the you dodge the mids of the rock that he's lying on. Making that brighter should help with the pop.

Cheers!

Jeff

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:50 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Central Park Biker

This is a great shot Steve! I also like the longer crop that Kent shows.

You must have felt lost out there in nature like that.
I recently saw a documentary on your stomping grounds. Sounds like you need to arm yourself with some long glass as you have some Yotes in your area that cover up to 12 miles every night.

Dave

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:13 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Central Park Biker

lighthound wrote:
This is a great shot Steve! I also like the longer crop that Kent shows.

You must have felt lost out there in nature like that.
I recently saw a documentary on your stomping grounds. Sounds like you need to arm yourself with some long glass as you have some Yotes in your area that cover up to 12 miles every night.

Dave

A lot of bikers in Central Park, some hard core. I personally think you take your life in your hands biking in NYC. And to bike without a helmet is crazy, but you see them pass by all the time.

When I suggested yesterday morning to my wife going to the park, she at first declined, saying she wanted to go out to real nature. But I persuaded her otherwise. Lo and behold, thousands of people shared our idea, and the park was filled with people on a beautiful day. But it's not like going to that aery spot that you found with the chapel.

Steve

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:20 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.