Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

  

Reflector board stand/feet
  
 
Entity
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reflector board stand/feet


Hi folks!

I bought 4 styrofoam boards 250x125x5cm (8x4') for reflectors now I'm thinking the best way to make a stand/feet for them. I googled around and found some ideas, but am looking for more.
Should I use wood, plastic, metal? Collapsable of fixed? Only on one side or both?
Should note I bought eps200 styrofoam, which is really compact and stiff, the board stands on it's own with virtually no bending.

What do you use?

TIA,
Mat



Apr 09, 2017 at 06:25 AM
Paul_K
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reflector board stand/feet


Over the years I collected a number of original Manfrotto 5001B Nano lightstands and Hedler clones

Max height 6'2 feet, very compact when folded, light weight, yet still with a wide enough base to allow a stable support

Use them with Lastolite and copy collapsable reflections screens up to 5' in diameter, which I secure with a simple clamp to avoid them rotating

Have used large styrofoam screens in the past, but they were due to size and rigidity, for me, not very handy to transport eg from the studio to a outside location shoot

In the studio, I used large metal barbecue pins to be able to attach them to the above mentioned lightstands



Apr 09, 2017 at 09:33 AM
nixland
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reflector board stand/feet




Entity wrote:
Hi folks!

I bought 4 styrofoam boards 250x125x5cm (8x4') for reflectors now I'm thinking the best way to make a stand/feet for them. I googled around and found some ideas, but am looking for more.
Should I use wood, plastic, metal? Collapsable of fixed? Only on one side or both?
Should note I bought eps200 styrofoam, which is really compact and stiff, the board stands on it's own with virtually no bending.

What do you use?

TIA,
Mat


Tape or join another styrofoam at the long edge to form a V shape. For long photographers call it V-flats.



Apr 09, 2017 at 10:19 AM
nixland
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reflector board stand/feet


https://fstoppers.com/bts/studio-essential-how-construct-high-quality-v-flats-and-why-30377


Apr 09, 2017 at 10:20 AM
Entity
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reflector board stand/feet


Paul_K wrote:
Over the years I collected a number of original Manfrotto 5001B Nano lightstands and Hedler clones

Max height 6'2 feet, very compact when folded, light weight, yet still with a wide enough base to allow a stable support

Use them with Lastolite and copy collapsable reflections screens up to 5' in diameter, which I secure with a simple clamp to avoid them rotating

Have used large styrofoam screens in the past, but they were due to size and rigidity, for me, not very handy to transport eg from the studio to a outside location shoot

In the studio, I used large metal barbecue pins
...Show more

I also have 4 Nano stands, not a bad idea, might be able to just clamp the board on one edge to the nano, it's base really is big and drops to the floor as well..
Metal barbecue pins - can you tell me more? You mean the spikes they sell for styrofoam boards? I never liked those, look scary, someone might get injured.. :/



Apr 09, 2017 at 11:19 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Entity
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reflector board stand/feet


nixland wrote:
Tape or join another styrofoam at the long edge to form a V shape. For long photographers call it V-flats.


Hi,
I have V-flats, but that's different. Those are from thin foam boards, this are just reflectors that need to stand on their own in the smallest space possible



Apr 09, 2017 at 11:20 AM
nixland
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reflector board stand/feet




Entity wrote:
Hi,
I have V-flats, but that's different. Those are from thin foam boards, this are just reflectors that need to stand on their own in the smallest space possible


Just fold the V flats as flat as possible that it can stand still then



Apr 09, 2017 at 12:43 PM
nixland
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Reflector board stand/feet


Or make a DIY this ...

http://gs13.de/miet_fotostudio_in_muenchen/portfolio-item/styros/



Apr 09, 2017 at 12:49 PM
c.d.embrey
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Reflector board stand/feet


Here's a couple of ways to do it.
Inexpensive and easy to DIY. Or you can buy one https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/32861-REG/Matthews_209494_Cantrell_Holder.html




?v=1438384081
Nice, but spendy. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/32862-REG/Matthews_209495_Foam_Core_Holder.html




?v=1440027846
What I'd do. Permantly tape the plate, and add t-bar scissor when needed. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31773-REG/Lowel_CM_31_Big_Foot_Scissor_Mount.html





Or some pine and screws.







Apr 09, 2017 at 03:15 PM
Paul_K
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Reflector board stand/feet


Entity wrote:
Metal barbecue pins - can you tell me more? You mean the spikes they sell for styrofoam boards? I never liked those, look scary, someone might get injured.. :/


I use much less expensive and far more low tech ones, eg
http://tabeka.nl/metalen-spiezen-satepennen-def/
These one are on sale overhere, but no doubt any outdoor center that sells barbecues has something similar where you live

The styrofoam panels are several centimeters thick, so it won't hurt/risk pieces breaking off if you stick a pin in it (not through it)
Put (on either side) one on top, in the middle, and at the bottom, use a simple clamp
(eg https://www.deco.nl/hoofdgroepen/hieronder-vindt-u-een-overzicht-van-verschillende-soorten-etalag/marktklemmen/marktklem-10-cm-metaal/ , no doubt simlar ones can be found where you live) to attach and placed them between two nanostands and it will make a very stable construction




Apr 09, 2017 at 03:56 PM







FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password