Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

What is the hardest sport to shoot?

John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What is the hardest sport to shoot?

PureMichigan wrote:
Hard to shoot technically --or hard to create a compelling image?

I can usually overcome most technical issues -- but I find the lack of variation in motion in tennis (serve, backhand forehand) and golf (drive, chip putt) and swimming makes getting truly differentiated images a real challenge. In these cases its rare for me to get something compelling unless there is real athlete emotion.

I agree here with this statement.

The technical issues are moot. You either have the glass and high ISO capability, or, you don't.

The killer on sports images (for me) are backgrounds. You can have the image of a lifetime, but if it's got a porta-potty in the back ground. It's a tosser.

This, and as mentioned by another poster.. knowing the sport your shooting. You're going to do a lot of spraying unless you know when and where the play is at, and emotion is peak.

May 02, 2017 at 08:26 AM
CMYK Designs
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What is the hardest sport to shoot?

Youth hockey in a dimly lit ice rink with an old Nikon D1x....more noise than a stand full of screaming hockey moms!!

May 02, 2017 at 11:37 AM
GerryS.

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What is the hardest sport to shoot?

25 Meters or / and 50 Meters Freestyle Sprint in swimming.

May 03, 2017 at 01:13 PM
mikekeating
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What is the hardest sport to shoot?

Whatever sport you are shooting for the first time. . .

May 03, 2017 at 02:29 PM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What is the hardest sport to shoot?

GerryS. wrote:
25 Meters or / and 50 Meters Freestyle Sprint in swimming.

brings up a good point... the worst are events that don't take very long, because you get almost no time to get a shot before the game is literally over. 50m swimming is one of these. never shot fencing, but I wouldn't bet on my results if I should try.

May 03, 2017 at 10:56 PM
GerryS.

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What is the hardest sport to shoot?

Oscarsmadness wrote:
brings up a good point... the worst are events that don't take very long, because you get almost no time to get a shot before the game is literally over. 50m swimming is one of these. never shot fencing, but I wouldn't bet on my results if I should try.

Fencing is the most spectacular Sport I have ever shot!

May 04, 2017 at 08:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kbnovak
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What is the hardest sport to shoot?

P Alesse wrote:
A really intense game of rock - paper - scissors.

You forgot lizzard - Spock.

May 04, 2017 at 12:07 PM
PureMichigan
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What is the hardest sport to shoot?

mikekeating wrote:
Whatever sport you are shooting for the first time. . .

I completely agree -- but I'm sure the rest of your old-timers can remember a time that when you shot a sport for the first time and didn't have a network you went in ice cold and had to figure it out. Now you can come here or YouTube and get enough of the basics so things don't turn into a fiasco. Long live the internet.

May 04, 2017 at 02:41 PM
artyphoto

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What is the hardest sport to shoot?

For me, soccer. As far as the 50 in swimming, I can count on getting them before they dive in and after they finish.

May 06, 2017 at 04:41 PM
glort
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What is the hardest sport to shoot?

PureMichigan wrote:
I completely agree -- but I'm sure the rest of your old-timers can remember a time that when you shot a sport for the first time and didn't have a network you went in ice cold and had to figure it out. Now you can come here or YouTube and get enough of the basics so things don't turn into a fiasco. Long live the internet.

I have gone in cold with pretty much all the sports ( and most other markets) I have shot and I can't say I have ever really found it that hard nor did I, at the time, look up anything much on Forums or YT except business advise on the best way to go about marketing it.
Sure the first time you may have to feel your way around where you stand and get the feel for what's happening but I was only talking to a mate 2 days ago about a shot of his daughter I took at the first event of it's type I shot and we were talking about that.

He was saying how he spoke to people afterwards ( being in the association and putting in the good word to get my my first gig with them) and they were all not only delighted with the pics I took, but never having anyone do on site showing and printing before as well as the way we approached it and were a family doing it together made us a hit.
I remember getting a list of the next events, going and finding the people in charge of that and lining up the next 4 gigs before I left that one.

I still have the shots from it and there were some winners I'd hold out to this day to show my work. I have always found that once you have been shooting long enough, nothing is ever that hard or different because you just fall back to the experience you have had in other things and it's usually just a combination of that which you need to do whatever is in front of you at the time.
I actually find this " Jack of all trades and master of none" type thing to be an asset because you aren't tuned into one way of doing things. This has been a Huge advantage to me over the years. I have got good gigs because I proposed the same thing as everyone else and got the knockback but then went to plan B or even plan C and got the nod on that. Wasn't any different in result to plan A but it satisfied whatever hangup the organiser had and got me the deal.

I did Horses and spoke to some people about what they wanted to see and went out and shot it... Best I could anyway. When the consistent response is they want the Tail and ears positioned right, there's not much you can do about that or was able to do 3.5 years down the track.
I went in and shot a major car race meeting for my first gig in that sport and we still got good, solid shots. Not hard to ask what people want and produce it best you can. Again, all about peak action and timing. Isn't that what most sports are about?

I found with pretty much everything I did, it was pretty basic in that it followed much of the rules you had done with other things. It's pretty much peak action therefore timing and being fast on the trigger and anticipating. I certainly don't say I am anywhere near a great shooter in anything but, as much as it will upset so many, that's not my goal anyway.

I'm in it for the $$ not the art so what I want to do is merely produce pics people want to own and are prepared to pay for and work out how to extract as much money from them for my pics as easy as possible.
In my years of experience, the greatest photo technically and frequently artistically, is NOT the ones that sell the best. Shots we put up for display often were poor sellers or didn't sell at all yet in some great irony, you put them on display and everyone wow's at them.... they just somehow don't want to won them
Proven more times than I care to remember that great shots aren't necessarily profitable with out of focus/ poorly framed/ tilted Etc shots slipping through the culling with another far better one taken 1/10th of a second later and you can't pry the dodgy one out the clients hands no matter what you offer because they aren't looking at nor give a shit about the technicalities, it's something in the content that makes the shot a prize winner to them.

I'm not championing bad work, I'm just saying what makes it good to us is not the same value base the clients have.

Do enough of anything, Be it sports, event's, weddings, industrial, underwater, press and publicity work, Children, glamour, Portraits, Real estate and architectural or whatever mix and you end up finding nothing is a great challenge anymore. You can take something you learned from everything you do and in the end you have done it before even when you never have.

I used to hate it but now I really enjoy being thrown in the deep end because I know I can swim in whatever pond or raging river I'm hurled into and come out the other side OK.
Gives me the chance to do the one and maybe only thing I still have left as enjoyment in this game..... Being able to do what I shouldn't be able to do and everyone tells me I can't.

I coined this many years ago as pulling Rabbits out of hats and it's what I enjoy the most now. :0)

May 25, 2017 at 12:38 AM
indyjones
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What is the hardest sport to shoot?

Cheerleading on roller blades.

May 26, 2017 at 05:36 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What is the hardest sport to shoot?

Indoor volleyball and swimming. Especially bad at the university I shoot for as the lighting for those events is not very good.

May 27, 2017 at 12:45 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password