New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · How to manually focus UWA lens using viewfinder

Ming-Tzu
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to manually focus UWA lens using viewfinder

I was walking around today trying to use the new Rokinon SP 14/2.4, which is a MF-only lens. The plan is to use it for an upcoming trip to Utah for astro shots. For these types of shots, I know that it needs to be set up on a tripod using 10x in the LV.

However, does anyone know how to MF an UWA lens using the viewfinder? Obviously, there isn't a way to magnify the image in the viewfinder so I was finding it difficult to know if proper focus was achieved, even when stopping down to f8 and f11.

Apr 08, 2017 at 08:34 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to manually focus UWA lens using viewfinder

Does that lens not provide for the green dot to light up when the active AF point is in focus? My Zeiss lenses do.

Apr 08, 2017 at 08:55 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to manually focus UWA lens using viewfinder

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Does that lens not provide for the green dot to light up when the active AF point is in focus? My Zeiss lenses do.

I don't think so but it does provide a focus confirmation beep, but not sure how reliable that is, as I've noticed some "play" in the beep if that makes sense.

Apr 08, 2017 at 08:59 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to manually focus UWA lens using viewfinder

I wonder if it is lighting it up but you may not be noticing? If it's providing a beep, that would seem to suggest to me that it is communicating the fact to the camera...

Apr 08, 2017 at 09:06 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to manually focus UWA lens using viewfinder

Ernie Aubert wrote:
I wonder if it is lighting it up but you may not be noticing? If it's providing a beep, that would seem to suggest to me that it is communicating the fact to the camera...

I looked through the settings and set the VF illumination to "Enable" instead of "Auto". I get the focus confirm beep and the VF lights up now when focus is achieved. After taking a few test shots, it looks like focusing manually is accurate so I should be good.

I was hoping for a more visual aid as far as making sure things are focused through the viewfinder, rather than an audible beep and red viewfinder illumination, but this will have to do.

Thanks!

Apr 08, 2017 at 09:13 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to manually focus UWA lens using viewfinder

I would just focus using the measurements on the lens-as long as they are accurate. The original was known for having the distance scale not accurate, so i made my own adjustments on the lens barrel. i would guess this pricier model has accurate distance scales.

Apr 08, 2017 at 09:44 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to manually focus UWA lens using viewfinder

Red viewfinder illumination? This puzzles me. I was referring to the green focus confirmation dot in the lower right in the viewfinder. Which camera are you using?

Apr 08, 2017 at 09:48 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to manually focus UWA lens using viewfinder

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Red viewfinder illumination? This puzzles me. I was referring to the green focus confirmation dot in the lower right in the viewfinder. Which camera are you using?

Probably talking about the flash of the focus point indicating which point has focus

Apr 08, 2017 at 10:44 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to manually focus UWA lens using viewfinder

Set yourself up in good light and use Liveview to achieve a good focus on an 'infinity' target ... then make note of the position of the distance scale on the lens. And repeat for different apertures you're likely to use just in case there is any variation although there shouldn't be

Apr 08, 2017 at 10:47 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to manually focus UWA lens using viewfinder

Hmmm. would one focus at infinity for astrophotography? Never tried it. Methinks your option is to just use 10x in LV.
BTW, you already saw and replied to the other thread on astrophotography, so I'm sure his feedback would have been useful.

Apr 08, 2017 at 11:56 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to manually focus UWA lens using viewfinder

Ernie Aubert wrote:

Sorry for the delayed response. When I achieve focus confirm, I get three confirmations. One is the audible beep. Second is the green dot at the bottom right you were talking about. And third is the VF temporarily has a red flash of sorts.

Apr 09, 2017 at 09:36 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.